Thread: Made in Japan '52 Telecaster... Questions for owners

Forum Member

Made in Japan '52 Telecaster... Questions for owners

Hi,

I am having the GAS for a good tele and was wondering if any of you have compared the Japanese made '52 Telecaster to the US made model?

If so, what's the difference between the construction?

How does the MIJ sounds?

Last but not least, if you have a picture of your MIJ Tele please post them.

Thank you.

Forum Member
    Attention Pete Bradt. Clean-up in aisle '52.

i think GUITARJONES has 1 and i even think he posted a link here somewhere....i aso think it has tex specials......i think he loves it...i'll look around 4 the link 4 u

why i hate telecasters thread.....and he has a 62, not 52

but there is also a like there (to ishabishi?)
    Last edited by frank thomson; 09-28-2003 at 07:17 AM.
    Imanidiot.

Forum Member

Re: Made in Japan '52 Telecaster... Questions for owners

Originally posted by Dave Tang
    Hi,

I am having the GAS for a good tele and was wondering if any of you have compared the Japanese made '52 Telecaster to the US made model?

If so, what's the difference between the construction?

How does the MIJ sounds?

Last but not least, if you have a picture of your MIJ Tele please post them.

Thank you.
    I'll try to reply to your questions in order.

My avatar is my CIJ TL52-80TX, so you can see it.

I've played just about every Tele available, from vintage to new, ad mine, as I modded it, is simpl the best Tele I ever played. Mods are Lindy Fralin Blues Special pickups and improved pots and switch. I've heard that Fender Japan has upgraded these parts in the four years since I bought mine.

In terms of construction, the CIJ is a better overall guitar than the US '52RI. The neck is closer to the original spec, the fret work is perfect, IMO, the top-of-the-line CIJs rival the Custom Shop.

To hear how it sounds go to http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...&threadid=4739 and listen. The fretted guitar is my CIJ. the slide is my CIJ Strat.

I think this is be best Tele value on the market today.

I agree with Pete. The CIJ Teles are way better quality than the USA 52-62ri's in fact I wouldnt even consider owning a USA model.

The USA models suffer from finish flaws, sloppy neck pocket fits and some are very heavy.

The Japanese Fenders are not produced as quick as the USA Models they make way less of them so they have more time to spend on each guitar and I think they also take more pride in their workmanship.

The MIM Classic series of 50's and 60's Classic Teles are also better than the USA 52ri in my opinion.

Forum Member
    Hello. I don`t own a Fender Japan 52 ri, thats what we call them, but I own several FJ`s as well as other MIJ guitars. My US Fender 52 RI`s are nice but not my favorites. I do have a Fender Japan Esquire fron 1989 that is a really nice guitar but a tad heavy, sen for the body wood I think. As far as construction goes, the older FJ`s I bought are every bit as well made as my Fender USA models, no hype no BS. True they are not all gems so you have to be careful, especially if you buy used and the seller doesn`t list the model number because there are many models. The low end models use very cheap parts and the wood is not the best quality plus frets can sometimes be poorly finished.... uneven and very rough edges.

BUT if you can get your hands on a higher end model you should be very happy. Not sure if you know or not so I`ll say this anyway... model number is related to price in thousands of yen EX: TL52-80TX means it lists for 80000yen and has Texas Special pick-ups... at the oppositeend you have the TL-43, 43000 yen... their cheapest tele, not only in price. So being well armed with information before a purchase is crucial.

Most of my FJ`s are from the 80`s one or 2 from the 90`s and a ST-80SPL strat from 2002 and a TN-85SPL tele form the same year... the model with 3 pick-ups and semi hollow body. My older FJ`s came stock with full size pots and steel switches. My 2002`s have the small pots and plastic switch even though they are high end models in the Fender Japan line.
    http://w1.422.telia.com/~u42235727/sneaky.htm
    http://w1.422.telia.com/~u42235727/Forsale.htm
    Here are 2 links to see some of my guitars... I am only posting these for you to look at as you asked for pics.
    shoganai ne

Forum Member

Thanks guys

I've gotten an email reply from Ishibashi regarding the TL52-80TX :

Q:What's the radius and neck width? Is it a V shape?
    A: V shape for the neck profile, Width at the nut is 42mm. Fretboard radius is 184R(mm). (I am assuming a 7.25 radius?)

Q: How many pieces is the body made out of? What kind of ash is used?
    A: Usually consists of 3 pcs ASH.

Q:What's the finished used? Poly or nitro?
    A: Polyurethane

Any guys,

How does the neck play? And is it necessary to switch out the electronic? If so, what do you recommend?

Pretty sure they use Texas Specials as stock. The necks play great. Probably one of the best feeling necks you will ever play.

Most people change the pickups Fralins or Voodoos would be my choice.

The FJ necks are kiler

I own a CIJ 52-80SPL, The keith richards model and the one as my avatar has a CIJ neck also.If you like the vintage 7.25 radius, they are the most comfortable necks I've ever played
    If I could play, I wouldn't need such nice guitars

Forum Member
    they come stock with Texas Special USA pick-ups. The pots will more than likely be small, unless they`ve changed in the very recent past. Plastic switch is likely. On a new guitar, you could keep the electronics till they crap out than switch them You`ll have to wait and play the guitar to see how they perform.
    I like the soft v neck on those teles, it`s a little chunky too. The ones I`ve played were not sticky. Good luck.
    shoganai ne

I have a 2002 CIJ '52RI in US Blonde.These are available with either Texas Specials (TL52-80) or US Vintage (TL52-70US).
    Mine has the US vintage pup's.

I agree with all that has been said..fantastic quality,and playability.You can see photo's in the attached

http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...Photos&.view=t

I have the same guitar as Pbradt which I order on the strength of the photo he now uses in his avatar.

Ishibashi has customer service that is second to none. I know of about 20 people that have ordered guitars from them and have all had good things to say of both the service AND the quality of the CIJ Fender guitars.

You can see mine being used in anger at (if I have done the linking thing properly)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...87677044QaGmEn

I've pretty much decided if I can ever afford a new guitar, it will be a CIJ '52RI Tele...

I have a set of pickups in my Strat that came from a CIJ '54RI. US made 50's pickups. EXCELLENT. Got em for $20.00.

I was sent a set of $150.00 pickups to do a review on them (I won't mention the brand, article does not get published until next month). Not bad, but I put back the CIJ 54RI set back. Sound much better. Put the new ones in my Squire Strat. It sounds great now, but not as good as my #1 Strat.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Originally posted by Marcondo
    ...The USA models suffer from finish flaws, sloppy neck pocket fits and some are very heavy.

The MIM Classic series of 50's and 60's Classic Teles are also better than the USA 52ri in my opinion.
    Marc,

Interesting that you should say this. Do you think this is true of regardless of year of manufacture? I ask this because I recently borrowed a buddy's US '52 RI for a week. It was made in '82, I believe the first year they were reissued. I was very disappointed in the quality of this guitar--obvious finish flaws on the body, serious neck alignment problems, a very badly cut nut and it weighed a ton. I attributed the problems to the fact that the 80s were not Fender's golden years from a quality standpoint, from what I've read. It did have a very nice tweed case and some spare parts tho. haha

I also agree with your statement about the MIM Classic 50's. The same friend has one of those and it's amazing. It's the only one I've played so far that compares to my MIM '69 Thinline RI
    Tom S.

Tweed sounds better

Forum Member
    The reason I don't have a MIM 50s tele is that I've played a couple of MIJ 52s and the necks on those have been a wonderful v-shape. Fits my hand so well. The MIMs and MIAs feel to small, something missing there. (And I have small hands, plus I don't have any teles currently).
    Last edited by weelie; 10-17-2003 at 02:38 AM.

Forum Member

Re: Thanks guys

Originally posted by Dave Tang
    I've gotten an email reply from Ishibashi regarding the TL52-80TX :

Q:What's the radius and neck width? Is it a V shape?
    A: V shape for the neck profile, Width at the nut is 42mm. Fretboard radius is 184R(mm). (I am assuming a 7.25 radius?)
    That's correct.

Q: How many pieces is the body made out of? What kind of ash is used?
    A: Usually consists of 3 pcs ASH.

Q:What's the finished used? Poly or nitro?
    A: Polyurethane
    Keep in mind its very thin poly, not thick like MIM guits.

Any guys,

How does the neck play? And is it necessary to switch out the electronic? If so, what do you recommend?
    The neck is simply the best. I swapped out the electronics though I've heard FJ has fionally begun to use better quality components, though I have no personal experience to back that up.

The swap is very easy if you know how to solder. I've probably done a dozen, between my guitars and my friends'.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by scooter - john
    I have the same guitar as Pbradt which I order on the strength of the photo he now uses in his avatar.

Ishibashi has customer service that is second to none. I know of about 20 people that have ordered guitars from them and have all had good things to say of both the service AND the quality of the CIJ Fender guitars.

You can see mine being used in anger at (if I have done the linking thing properly)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...87677044QaGmEn
    Hey, TWO great lookin blondes in onw picture! What the hell else could you want?

Seriously S-J, lookin great with that axe. Got any sound clips?

nevergrewup: how much does you 5270 weigh. Is it light? I want to do an Esquire and if that guitar is light, I may have to try it.

Forum Member
    Dont forget the TL52-70US.

US "Vintage" rather than US "Texas Special" pickups and a sen body. Whether Texas Specials are very appropriate for this guitar seems to be an open question.

Funny, but Ishibashi's site on the TL52-80TX claims it has a "U-shaped" neck.

Personally, I'm not crazy about '52s. Like the looks, though.
    Last edited by Bongolation; 10-25-2003 at 04:59 AM.
    04DEC05: Gone -- So long!

Forum Member
    in the latest catalogs from this year, they don`t offer sen any more... it`s ash now. Maybe you have one from before the switch. Personally I like sen, though sometimes it`s heavy. My old 70`s Greco strats are sen and they are really light.
    shoganai ne

Forum Member
    Originally posted by sneaky
    in the latest catalogs from this year, they don`t offer sen any more... it`s ash now.
    I'm just going by the current Ishibashi link I provided in my post.

Sometimes I get the impression that Ishibashi doesn't update their specs as often as they ought to.
    04DEC05: Gone -- So long!

Forum Member
    agreed ... they don`t update their U-Box as often as they should either. I`ve mentioned it to em.
    shoganai ne

Forum Member
    I don't think they are better than MIA, but are a good value.
    AKA "theboss" from the FDP

Forum Member
    well I own both MIA`s and MIJ Fenders... some, like my ExTrad are every bit as good as my US made team built custom shop... no BS and no hype because they aren`t for sale... but if I had to I`d sell the custom shop before I`d sell the extrad, it`s that good. I also have a FJ custom edition that has the IKEBE stamp in the neck pocket and body, as well as custom order, with a bunch of Kanji... that is perhaps the best sounding strat I have. IKEBE is a chain of shops here in Japan.
    Of course not all FJ`s are great nor are all US made Fenders but if ya look around there are some outstanding FJ`s here. Come on over and see for yourselves.
    sake`s on me.
    shoganai ne

pbradt...sorry,I have only just seen your question.I haven't weighed it but will do and post the result.
    I would say it's quite light..the only other Tele I've had was a Squier,which was significantly heavier.
    Compared to my Strats (MIA and MIM) it's about the same.

Anyway,I'll let you know.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by nevergrewup
    pbradt...sorry,I have only just seen your question.I haven't weighed it but will do and post the result.
    I would say it's quite light..the only other Tele I've had was a Squier,which was significantly heavier.
    Compared to my Strats (MIA and MIM) it's about the same.

Anyway,I'll let you know.
    I thank you, sir.

pbradt...again sorry it's taken some time (very busy).

My TL52-70US weighs in at just under 7.25 pounds.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Re: Re: Thanks guys

Originally posted by pbradt

Keep in mind its very thin poly, not thick like MIM guits.

I have to comment on this.
    I have conducted many experiments with regards to guitar finishing, and have found that the thinner the finish on a guitar, the more it resonates and the better (in my opinion) it sounds, so don't be too quick in dissmissing the Japanese Teles with thin poly finishes. The have thw potential to be every bit as resonant as a nitro finished guitar.
    My Tele on the other hand is finished with a spray on varnish from my local hardware store, it's quite hard work to buff it to a good shine, but well worth the effort. All of my Tele playing friends have commented on how much sustain and resonance my guitar has.
    Experimenting does have it's benefits.
    Now that I have staryed completely off topic, I will add that the CIJ guitars are far better than the MIJ ones (which mine is) although the MIJ are still better than Mex guitars

Forum Member
    depends on the CIJs and MIJs.
    shoganai ne

It seems like the MIA 52RIs now have lighter coloured necks than they did before. Is this true of the CIJ 52RIs?

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman
    I just purchased the 62B-75TX (double bound body, texas specials.)
    Fender Japan has not improved the electronics. Mine came with small pots and a plastic switch (I will replace them tomorrow!)

The neck is a U shape, as described (not C shaped). Vintage radius, etc.
    pbradt is right about the finish. It is a thin poly, very different from the MIM finishes.

"If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Day after tomorrow I pick up my MIJ Tele.
    I used it to try out a Princeton Reverb I was interested in. I'm getting both. :yay
    It's very light, the neck is a nice handful. It just felt so good, played so nice and sounded great. I don't know if anything's been upgraded, but whatever is in it works just swell.
    The finish is noticeably thinner and less gummy feeling than newer US 52's I've tried. Mine's tagged as a 50's MIJ and is more of a transparent blonde than the butterscotch of the 52's.
    I'm psyched.
    I can't wait 'til Thursday, baby!
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member
    Originally posted by NeoFauve
    Day after tomorrow I pick up my MIJ Tele.
    I used it to try out a Princeton Reverb I was interested in. I'm getting both. :yay
    It's very light, the neck is a nice handful. It just felt so good, played so nice and sounded great. I don't know if anything's been upgraded, but whatever is in it works just swell.
    The finish is noticeably thinner and less gummy feeling than newer US 52's I've tried. Mine's tagged as a 50's MIJ and is more of a transparent blonde than the butterscotch of the 52's.
    I'm psyched.
    I can't wait 'til Thursday, baby!
    Which one is it?

"Which one is it?"

Well pbradt- Comparing it to the pix linked in previous posts, the one I'm getting most resembles the Ishibashi TL52-70US.
    But, like I said, I don't know any tech specifics about it. I just picked it up to try an amp and fell hard for it.
    I'll report back w/serial# and whatnot once it's in my hands.
    I do believe it dates back to the mid-90's.

Holy crap, sneaky! Nice bunch of guitars.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member
    thanks
    shoganai ne

Guys can u give me link to store or stores where I can get one of theese, I was going to buy the US version but not anymore.
    paul

Forum Member
    Originally posted by maidenstrat
    Guys can u give me link to store or stores where I can get one of theese, I was going to buy the US version but not anymore.
    http://www.ishibashi-music.com

Click the "Fender Japan" link on the page.