Thread: SG Love: Fagen's Guitarist and Kid Charlemagne

SG Love: Fagen's Guitarist and Kid Charlemagne

Some hot playing on this record, solo bits beginning around 2:16--SG SG SG!!!. I don't know the player, but man o man.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: SG Love: Fagen's Guitarist and Kid Charlemagne

Jon Herington. My man! Touring with Steely Dan, stone monster, and 1/3 the reason I bought my SG.

TFF Stage Crew

That's Jon Herington. He's been Steely Dan's touring guitarist for about fifteen years now. Not a fireball of emotion, but incredibly tasty and talented. He brilliantly covers all the styles of the various studio heavies from the Dan albums over the decades, favoring a custom Tele and 335-clone. That SG sure sounds sweet too!

I've seen the Dan about 12 times since they started touring again in the 90s, and that Dukes of September tour with Skaggs and McDonald. Herington is a highlight every time, as is the Steely Dan drummer from about the last ten years, Keith Carlock. Scary good.

EDIT: Jim swooped in and beat me to it while I was typing, but I'll leave mine as is. His name deserves to be mentioned twice!

Great info. I've always been a fan of the Dan but have never seen them. Yeah, that guy is a tasteful guitarist. I like how he keeps the original but throws in stuff that compliments the song, takes it a slightly different direction.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison