Thread: Quack

Quack

I was rehearsing with the band last weekend and as I played the rythm and some leads I started to pay attention to that distinct and easily recognizable "stratty" tone that is always there, the "quack" that the strat always does. no matter how you modulate/distort a real Fender Strat with single coils. It will quack, especially in positions 2 and 4.

It's something that actually bothers non strat lovers, but those of us who really dig the quack will enjoy it in any song/genre they're doing!
    Last edited by S. Cane; 11-15-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Forum Member

Re: Quack

I have a Strat that does it pretty good, but a Collings 360ST which in positions 2 and 4 quacks really well. I think it's the best fiddle Collings makes. The vid is pretty remarkable. This dude really hits it. The 360ST is kinda the Strat for Les Paul players. Carved top and set neck make it feel at home. Very soft V neck is standard. The Strat is a Jon Cruz design 63. Not a "full" JC but I like it a lot.

Sounds ral good indeed, man!

Maybe it's the video, but I think this guitar has a tone of its own, although it does quack. I'd have to listen to it in person, but judging by the vid it sounds a bit darker than the average SSS strat

wow, I want to try one of those Collings now

Once I put the 57/62s on Brownface (Melody and Gravity Jim--better?), I found the sound I was looking for, with an extra portion of Quackity Quack Quack.. It's not a sound that all love, but it's one of the things that attracted me to the Strat in the first place.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

for me pretty much any strat sounds decent on the neck or 4 pos but only really good ones have the sound on the bridge + middle.

it's so great we have cascading gain circuits now; you can have the low winds to get the quack but then you dont have to turn your Marshall up to 120db to get a bit of grind.

I like the sound and use it quite often at home. It's part of what drew me to the Strat, but I seldom use it live. In fact, I've considered installing a 3-way switch in my Strat to make selecting the neck, middle or bridge easier.

Believe it or not, my Carvin AE-185 (semi-hollow hybrid with an acoustic style bridge with piezo pickup, two magnetic pickups and active electronics) had great quack with the magnetic pickups split! I think it was due to the humbuckers being closer together due to the 24 fret neck and the inner coils being selected when the humbuckers were split.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Sounds ral good indeed, man!

Maybe it's the video, but I think this guitar has a tone of its own, although it does quack. I'd have to listen to it in person, but judging by the vid it sounds a bit darker than the average SSS strat
    Yes on all points. I think it hits me as in between a Strat and a Tele. It also stays in tune better than anything I have despite the whammy stuffs. After I got so I could stomach the shape, it is one of the last I will ever let go of. I am thinking of getting it in the ash version as well. Mine is the alder.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Yes on all points. I think it hits me as in between a Strat and a Tele. It also stays in tune better than anything I have despite the whammy stuffs. After I got so I could stomach the shape, it is one of the last I will ever let go of. I am thinking of getting it in the ash version as well. Mine is the alder.
    Great! Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    It will quack, especially in positions 2 and 4.
    The drummer should like the quack when he hits the snare on 2 and 4. TWEET !

For me, I like all the pups wound the same direction and be the same polarity. That seems to have the most "quack" to me. YMMV I also flip the middle and bridge pup leads on the switch. I LOVE the outside pair position!!!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    for me pretty much any strat sounds decent on the neck or 4 pos but only really good ones have the sound on the bridge + middle.

it's so great we have cascading gain circuits now; you can have the low winds to get the quack but then you dont have to turn your Marshall up to 120db to get a bit of grind.
    I must be doing something right!
    I get a good cluck in position 2 THRU a JMP Marshall!

Forum Member

Still love the sound. I have to pull the Strat or the 360 every few days just to hear it.