Thread: Mid-90s 68 reissue Strat Mystery

Mid-90s 68 reissue Strat Mystery

In the mid 90s, I bought my first Strat, a white, MIJ 68 reissue. Lovely large headstock. Looked stunning.

The problem? From the 11th or 12th fret up, each note was actually a cacophony of several tones. I'd play an E on the 12th fret, and an F and B might sound as well.

I took it back to our rinky dink shop and its inept repair dudes. They tried to set it up and adjusted the truss rod, but the guitar still sounded multiple notes from what should have been one note. I eventually traded it for an MIJ 62 reissue Tele--long gone.

Was there anything else that could have been done? Was the problem in the neck?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Mid-90s 68 reissue Strat Mystery

Sounds to me like it either needed a fret leveling, or had a hump in the fretboard up there. Since the limit of most guitar shop "techs" is changing strings, they would not be able to fix it. A pro technician would have had it singing.

I had one of those MIJ 68 Reissues. Maple neck, sunburst. It was a really cool guitar. However, it eventually turned into a Twin Twelve which I still have and use often.

Can't speak on your problem, sorry. Strats can do some weird things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by sticko View Post
    Strats can do some weird things like that.
    As can every other guitar.

Pickups too close?

Quote Originally Posted by style0 View Post
    Pickups too close?
    I tried adjusting them. It probably was some abnormality in the neck. It was a beautiful guitar and otherwise sounded very 60s-ish.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    Sounds to me like it either needed a fret leveling, or had a hump in the fretboard up there. Since the limit of most guitar shop "techs" is changing strings, they would not be able to fix it. A pro technician would have had it singing.
    I don't doubt it. I was living far from any reputable luthier then and had to have a working guitar so traded it first chance I got. At that point, I knew less even than I know now about fretwork and other possible remedies, so I took for gospel what the local shop said about the impossibility of a fix.

I had one of those (necks anyways on a MIM body)...didn't notice anything unusual..

That's a great looking guitar, Kris. I love that headstock and was really sorry to let go of mine. Hard to believe it's 20+ years ago that I had that guitar.

I love that headstock!