Thread: Guitar (or Amp) to Computer

Guitar (or Amp) to Computer

There are a lot of talented tech-types on this forum, so I figured this would be a good place for a sanity check.

I'm interested in recording some backing tracks that I can use to practice leads and solos to. I have a 2012 Macbook Air on which Apple decided to remove input capability on the 3.5mm earphone jack (old Macs could use the jack both as input and output). So, it seems the only way I can record guitar directly to my Mac is through one of the USB ports. What I think I'm looking for is a 3.5mm-to-USB adapter. My amps both have earphone jacks, so it should be no problem to either run a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable from my amp to a USB adapter, or perhaps even direct from my guitar through a 1/4"-to-3.5mm cable. What's missing is the USB input adapter.

I used to have (maybe still do, in storage somewhere) a Griffin iMic (https://griffintechnology.com/us/products/audio/imic), which I think might do the trick. On the other hand, is that overkill? Perhaps I can make do with a simple 3.5mm-USB adapters, such as this one on Amazon.

On the Mac side, I figure I could use Garageband or Audacity to capture and record the backing tracks. Garageband has amp models, but I have a modeling amp, so Audacity might be the better choice. Are there other options?

Thanks for your consideration.

Re: Guitar (or Amp) to Computer

I think you would be much better off with a proper USB audio interface instead of trying get your instrument level signal up to line level and into your mic input or that iMic device or other type of adapter. You'll get much better sonic results using a an interface with proper AD/DA conversion AND Garageband will easily recognize whatever input device you throw at it.

Here's one option among many - really depends on how much you want to spend (or don't want to). Other brands with similar devices include Presonus, M-Audio, Behringer, Tascam and so on at varying price points.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/one

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    I think you would be much better off with a proper USB audio interface instead of trying get your instrument level signal up to line level and into your mic input or that iMic device or other type of adapter. You'll get much better sonic results using a an interface with proper AD/DA conversion AND Garageband will easily recognize whatever input device you throw at it.

Here's one option among many - really depends on how much you want to spend (or don't want to). Other brands with similar devices include Presonus, M-Audio, Behringer, Tascam and so on at varying price points.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/one
    Apogee stuff is awesome with a Mac.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Two votes for Apogee! I checked out the link, and it's pretty impressive (looks very Apple-like, too). I'm not averse to spending money (heck, I've spent thousands on guitars ), but I don't want overkill, either. I'm not looking to produce professional quality recordings (at least not yet), but simply want to lay down some tracks of my own I can use to practice leads and solos. I'm going to keep the Apogee in mind (and I like the fact that one model can be used for both Mac and iPad). Would it be overkill for my purpose?

Forum Member

I use a cheap Pre Sonus Audiobox USB. Works great. You can always find them on sale with a decent mic and headphones around this time of year. I also use a Torpedo Live instead of a speaker or speaker cab on any of my amps (using a Weber Z-Matcher for any impedances to the amp other than 8Ω which the Torpedo Live needs). This not only gives me a huge array of cabinet/mic treatments (that sound astoundingly accurate) it also lets me dial the amp up into the sweet spot and keep it quiet enough (or using headphones even silent) to keep the household happy.

Also, you don't NEED the Torpedo, it just gives me HUGE flexibility. You could replace it with a mic in front of your cabinet. But the Torpedo is also very good for live performing as well as you can use it to strip off a board out before plumbing it to you speaker cab so your sound man will love you.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Two votes for Apogee! I checked out the link, and it's pretty impressive (looks very Apple-like, too). I'm not averse to spending money (heck, I've spent thousands on guitars ), but I don't want overkill, either. I'm not looking to produce professional quality recordings (at least not yet), but simply want to lay down some tracks of my own I can use to practice leads and solos. I'm going to keep the Apogee in mind (and I like the fact that one model can be used for both Mac and iPad). Would it be overkill for my purpose?
    I don't think it's overkill for what you are wanting to do. Doesn't get more basic than the Apogee One (or similar offerings from other vendors) - 2 channels in/2 channels out, direct monitoring (important!), decent audio conversion @ 24bit/96kHz, XLR and 1/4" inputs, USB. Not sure if this one has 48V phantom power for things like condenser mics? But at least you have some options if/when you want to use a mic.

I started with an M-Audio Fast Track (original version) way back when I tried plugging my Yamaha AG Stomp direct into my HP laptop running Cakewalk. Did not get good results at all with the AG Stomp hence the M-Audio. These days I run a MOTU 828mkIII into an iMac running Logic Pro X, but for most of the stuff I do, an Apogee One or Duet would work great!

Now I'm in a quandry. I spotted an Apogee One for iOS and Mac on eBay which included a care warranty through 2019 on eBay, so I bid on it. I won the auction and then went to pay for it, but when I clicked the "Pay Now" button, I got (and keep getting) a message:

The sellers can't accept payments right now. Contact them for help.

So I sent a query to the seller via eBay, and still have received no reply. I called eBay this morning and told them I was concerned that my having an outstanding payment due on my record might ding me, and they said not to worry and that they would note that I had taken all the appropriate steps.

Maybe I'm overly impatient, but I've always paid for items I've purchased on eBay immediately. The seller, while not overly active, has a gold star rating, and has been an eBay user for five years (I'm also gold star, with 16 years). I committed to waiting at least a day for a response, but in the meantime I've found another on eBay that is even cheaper.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation on eBay? I imagine at some point I can contact eBay and have them withdraw my winning bid, but what a hassle! There are several days left on the second Apogee One offer, so I don't need to resolve this right away, but I've never experienced a seller not being able to accept a payment!

I have a PreSonus box, it was like $150? Anymore you can get a decent USB interface for $100-200, then you have lots of options, mine even has MIDI if I ever wanted to do that. It's simply amazing how far digital audio has come since I graduated college. I have a degree in "Music Technologies"... Which is a fancy way of saying I have a piece of paper that says I can mix live concerts and make records.

I run an older version of Logic Pro, have a huge library of samples, drum machines, soft synths, stuff like that. It's pretty easy to run the recording software, there is a bit of a learning curve but there's lots of good vids on YouTube. I'd just get on Musicians Friend and get a new interface. Some even come with free software and stuff. Yeah, you have a modeling amp, but it's nice to have options.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

And I'd be remiss not to mention that a used PODxt can be picked up cheap and they have a USB connection.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Any news on your shipment OldStrummer?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Any news on your shipment OldStrummer?
    Thanks for asking, dirtdog. I just got off the phone with eBay. After unsuccessfully trying to find a way to pay for my original purchase of the Apogee One, I was told to just let the sale roll off the expiration date and to call eBay again to make sure no negatives are applied to my account. I then turned around and successfully purchased another, at such a reduced cost that I could even pay for Square Trade coverage (like a warranty). It should be delivered between the 15th and 22nd of this month.

I've had an eBay account since 2000. I'm not a great trader (never sold, only bought), and I have a 100% user rating. But I've never encountered a situation where the seller was the problem. eBay isn't very helpful, either. Okay, I get it -- eBay is just the middleman between buyer and seller, but when a seller just goes belly-up, haywire or goes radio silent, it would seem their customer service could be just a tad more helpful.

Anyway, I have an Apogee One on the way. I'll still have to fold over on the failed transaction, but that's a minor bother and a lesson learned, I guess.

That sounds like a weird situation for sure. But at least you got what you wanted for a better price! Let us know how the Apogee works out for you....

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Thanks for asking, dirtdog. I just got off the phone with eBay. After unsuccessfully trying to find a way to pay for my original purchase of the Apogee One, I was told to just let the sale roll off the expiration date and to call eBay again to make sure no negatives are applied to my account. I then turned around and successfully purchased another, at such a reduced cost that I could even pay for Square Trade coverage (like a warranty). It should be delivered between the 15th and 22nd of this month.

I've had an eBay account since 2000. I'm not a great trader (never sold, only bought), and I have a 100% user rating. But I've never encountered a situation where the seller was the problem. eBay isn't very helpful, either. Okay, I get it -- eBay is just the middleman between buyer and seller, but when a seller just goes belly-up, haywire or goes radio silent, it would seem their customer service could be just a tad more helpful.

Anyway, I have an Apogee One on the way. I'll still have to fold over on the failed transaction, but that's a minor bother and a lesson learned, I guess.