Thread: It's the 70's again!

It's the 70's again!

I remember when 70's wasn't vintage and there was little love for guitars from that period. Turns out these are great guitars in and of themselves. I wish I'd bought every Tele Deluxe that came through the vintage store I worked at in the 90s. $500 a pop.

Re: It's the 70's again!

It is? Crap! Does this mean I have to go back to high school again?

Seriously, those are cool looking Teles. I'm kind of in the market for one.

AWESOME GITS!!!

so its the 70's again that is killer I am going to save so much $$$ because in the 70's
    I didnt have a cable bill....an internet bill.....a cell phone bill....car insurance......health insurance.........

man ------- I miss the 70's
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Oh man, don't post a thread withsuch a title. It gives a false hope!!!

p.S. Nice guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Oh man, don't post a thread withsuch a title. It gives a false hope!!!

p.S. Nice guitars
    I can say with authority that if you can remember the 70's you missed out on most of them.

Plano Wildcats, class of '75!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Class of 80--currently feeling nostalgia like never before! Give me 1974 again please--I love that summer of pop and rock (and even some country).

Those 70s geets. Man, they are just so cool looking. If only they were lefties, if only I owned them, and if only we had world peace and a cheap hamburger!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Nice guitars!!!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I don't remember much of the '70s. I started playing guitar in '71 (I was 8) and really got into it in '78 or '79. One thing I do remember about the '70s was the disdain for CBS Fender and Norlin Gibson guitars! They weren't all bad and these are beauties!

I'm of mixed opinion on these guitars. Personally, I think a guitar is a fine, precision instrument, and should be cared for. Oh, I get the "road worn" look, but honestly, seeing a guitar that looks like it was on the losing end of a bar fight doesn't impress me, it saddens me more than anything else.

I have a 65 year-old Gibson ES-225 that I got second-hand. Its previous owner treated it like crap, and I've had to clean it up where possible. I had to replace the tuning keys because they simply crumbled away from age and exposure! But despite it being my daily player since the mid-70s, it hasn't acquired any further wear due to bumping, scratching, dropping, etc. In fact, I recently bought a new case for it, since the original is so decrepit that I couldn't trust it to hold and carry the guitar.

The collector side of me has recently added three limited edition Fenders to my stable. The 1994 40th Anniversary Stratocaster (aluminum body) is in pristine condition, as is the 60th Anniversary Telecaster. That's the way I like them.

I guess I can't just bring myself to toss guitars around like some people. Heck, I'm even aware of whether I'm wearing a belt buckle when I play.

I tell people that I'm building up my daughter's inheritance.

I've never tossed any of those three guitars around. Much of the wear that you see was there when I got them. I'm not careless with any of my guitars, most especially in some attempt to "relic" them. But I do press them into service and sometimes things happen.

The Tele Custom has a very brittle finish. For those that say only nitro will check, I offer this polyurethane specimen. I've only once taken that guitar on the road, and that was in a flight case. Other than that it's only been used in the studio.

The Tele Deluxe was my main guitar for many years and I worked it A LOT. Lots of bar gigs, lots of tours, sometimes with people other than myself taking care of it. And, bless it's heart, that guitar has taken me to some really amazing places musically. I truly feel it's special. But Mocha finishes from the early 70's(1973 in this case) are pretty thin, and they just wear if the guitar is working all the time.

The Strat I've only had for a little over a year. Someone got James Burton to sign it. I love James, but I can not stand signatures on guitars!!

Anyway, these guitars are doing just fine. They play and sound fantastic, and continue to inspire me. Although, as much as I don't want to, I think the Custom is going to need a re-fret.

Those guitars look beautiful, the tele's are my dream guitars. They look well used and far from abused. Some people just need to learn to keep their foot out of their mouths.

I love seeing guitars like this! It makes me feel like they've been played a lot and have secrets to tell me... IDK if that makes sense to anyone else, I just think gear this used MUST sound killer. I've always wanted a Deluxe, I think they're some of the coolest guitars around! No offense, but the Mocha ones remind me of turds... LOL I'd probably try to get a black or other color. But really, if I had the money and found a good sounding Mocha, I'd buy it.

Thanks again for sharing these! I really enjoy looking at them. Take care
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I've mixed feelings about '70s fenders. I owned one brand new ('74) and it was a serious piece of shit. Many others I've seen from that era were heavy as hell and more than a few had poor placement of bridges or neck pockets so loose that the high E or low E strings were practically hanging off the neck. The maple necks with the poured on glops of poly were like trying to play on flypaper. Yes, there were *some* good ones but just because a guitar is old doesn't mean it's any good. The craftsmanship back then was very hit or miss. If there was a good one, it got played like the ones in the OP.

But nostalgia is a powerful thing. There's a '74 Strat in black on another forum that I am ridiculously GASsing for. The seller claims it is a brazilian rosewood board and I am highly skeptical of that claim. It IS a nice dark board nonetheless and the guitar weighs 7.5 pounds which is a featherweight by the standards back then. If I had 2250 dollars, I'd throw it at the seller and take a chance that the guitar is one of the good ones from back then. But believe me when I say they were few and far between.

Class of '76 representin'

It's funny, all three of those guitars came to me when I wasn't really looking for them, and they were all three kick ass right out of the gate. Every time I went to go buy another Tele Custom or Deluxe, either as a backup or because I'm a crazy person and like having multiples of everything, the guitar wound up being a dud.

To me "vintage" is a sliding scale, , most will argue anything after 1964 isn't true vintage , but I always seem to think if someone was born in the late 1980's ( or later) then to them anything made before they were born is "vintage to them....

I was born in 62, and I'm getting to be vintage. "Vintage" does have a watery border. I guess I consider anything up through the end of the 60s to be vintage. I mean we're talking about only the first 20 years of the modern electric solid body at that time. I know "CBS" and all that.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I had a 1970 Tele. It weighed a ton and sounded very bright. I was young and foolish and put two humbuckers in it. It looked great though.