Thread: Martin End Plug

Martin End Plug

My boy has a Martin electro/acoustic. It's one of the offshore Martins, and the end plug slips out of the end of the guitar. I have no clue about how to repair something like this. Is it something I can do or had I better see a luthier? Are there any quick fixes?

Apologies if this is a double post. I thought I'd posted it yesterday but might have not hit the submit button...
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Martin End Plug

By "end plug" are you referring to the strap button? Is it also the cable jack (I'm not familiar with the particular guitar)? Since it's a Martin, even an offshore model, I'd take it to a luthier or guitar service (many music stores have a tech onsite). If it's just a strap button, you MIGHT be able to re-tap the screw hole and use a new, larger diameter screw. On the other hand if it's also the cable jack, there are electronics attached, and that might require the services of a professional.

Just my 02˘.

If it's a tapered press in end pin then it really should be professional fitted and installed. They are usually installed without glue. Tapping them in too hard can damage the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    By "end plug" are you referring to the strap button? Is it also the cable jack (I'm not familiar with the particular guitar)? Since it's a Martin, even an offshore model, I'd take it to a luthier or guitar service (many music stores have a tech onsite). If it's just a strap button, you MIGHT be able to re-tap the screw hole and use a new, larger diameter screw. On the other hand if it's also the cable jack, there are electronics attached, and that might require the services of a professional.

Just my 02˘.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    If it's a tapered press in end pin then it really should be professional fitted and installed. They are usually installed without glue. Tapping them in too hard can damage the guitar.
    Sorry for my lexical choice: I do mean the jack plug. It just slides out. Very loose. I've thought about wrapping part of a paper towel around it just to get to stay in, but if there's a better fix, I'd love to know.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Is it threaded with a nut on it?

It doesn't have an end nut to fasten it in. It is threaded, but there are no signs of wood between the threads--the hole is simply too large for the plug. Of course, the plug is connected to the guitar by the wires, and fortunately, there's no short. The boy's been careful with it, but what a pain.

Forum Member

Missing parts and improperly installed. What brand pickup is it?

I think it's a Fishman.

Forum Member

Does the jack come out the endpin hole?

Can you post pics?

Yes, it's the jack that comes out of the end hole. I should have used "jack" from the beginning. Crap, act like I'm a newbie to guitars.

I tried to get pics, can't get one of the hole--the jack is in the way. It slides out a bit but is held in by the wires, and I'm afraid we're going to get a short with all the sliding in and out.

Martin drilled the hole to large for the jack they've used.
    Last edited by ch willie; 10-15-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Forum Member

But you should be able to get a jack to match the Martin hole. The part that screws onto it to hold it in should be sized appropriately or have various sized ferrules that snap over it.. I have not used Fishmans for a while but I think it should have had the stuff with it for various holes. Unless it was factory like that. I would still think you could get it from Fishman if nothing else. Am I missing something here?

It's a factory install. We bought the guitar used, like new, so no shop warranty of any sort.

I've never seen an endpin jack that just presses into, or threads into, the wood. All the ones that I've seen had a nut like in the PDF that I linked below. At this point I think I'd bring it to a repair person.

I'd still like to see a pic of the jack itself, though. Even the outside so maybe we can try to identify it.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-1521/i-1521.pdf

I believe a nut has slipped off on the inside of the guitar. I looked at it again, but don't know for sure. I won't be able to tell until I've got the strings off and can get down the sound hole or to have someone with a smaller hand to get to it.

Forum Member

Yes! At the very least get the one from Stewmac. Just replace it. You are missing either the inside nut (which HAS to be on the jack or wire inside) or the outside one and the inside then could come off the end. You need both. The jack is certainly replaceable. If it does not have slip tubes to fill the gap, winding it with waxed twine will fill the gap if it is not close enough. Or you could drill a dowel.