Thread: Built a couple pedals

Built a couple pedals

Been on a kick lately of making some pedals, all were on boards I'd bought online from other people. I've built a couple DOD FX10 BiFet boosts, which are really awesome!!! It's one of the best boosts I've ever played, due to the tone knob NOT working like a normal roll off. What it does is set the center frequency of the boost, so it's full range and you select what you're boosting. I've made one for myself and several friends. If you guys ever get a chance to play one, do it, it'll knock you out!

The other pedal I made is a clone of the fuzz circuit from the Acoustic 360 bass amp. VERY cool fuzz! The Z Vex Woolly Mammoth has always been my favorite bass fuzz, but this one is right up there. I think what's so cool with this one is that is has a clean blend, which helps retain the low end content. Supposedly it sounds even better at 18V, but I have yet to try it that way. So far it's only been 9V, but I'll see what 18V sounds like Thursday.

"don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: Built a couple pedals

Great!

Nice! Cool cases, too!

I posted this in FX Anonymous, but I got those cool boxes from Small Bear. They seem to have ALL the cool stuff! I think next FX10 I build will use tropical fish caps... Maybe.

And thanks Sergio! I like to build pedals from time to time, I actually REALLY like soldering. I know that probably sounds weird, but it's a lot like welding, which I'm pretty good at (as long as I stay practiced up). One of my Grandpa's was a metal fabricator, so I learned to weld at about 8 years old or so?

Up next is a ZenDrive clone! Board will be here Tuesday, along with a new soldering iron

In the time between posts I've built the ZenDrive (which sounds FANTASTIC!) and a dual Bluesbreaker (which is also FANTASTIC!). The Bluesbreaker really does sound AND feel like a good Marshall! Playing it through my Jet City 333 last night I was pretending I was Jimmy Page and the dudes from Thin Lizzy. So much fun!!!

Up next is a '77 DOD 250 clone, Colorsound Overdriver, and a Guv'nor.

No rest for the wicked!

The Hermida Zendrive and the Crowther Hot Cake are the only OD pedals I ever really liked. Nice job!
    Last edited by Gravity Jim; 10-29-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks Jim! Saw you were back! So HOWDY

I'm really interested in the Honey Bee and Overdriver, I've gotten into low/med gain pedals. So far the ZenDrive is closest to what I want for my everyday OD. I don't need a lot of gain from pedals as that's not really a sound I go for. I do have some "heavy" stuff, but don't play it a whole lot. Funny, cuz I LOVE fuzz on bass.

Here's the Bluesbreaker prior to boxing up

Here's another one for y'all, not done and DEFINITELY not the prettiest. It's a true PTP wired Green Russian Big Muff, with a couple tweaks, on Perf. I got burned out on Vero and decided to wire stuff up old school! Plus, I'm trying to learn more about pedals and their design, so PTP helps me make sense of how things connect together.

I took a couple cues from different Muffs and combined them into this. It's basically a Green Russian with a little bit of the Super Collider and Pharaoh thrown in, those are just modded Big Muffs anyway. It's really just a couple parts value changes, nothing crazy. For now I'm sticking with the stock clipping arrangement but might add in an LED or two as I've been liking the way those sound in conjunction with Si diodes like the 914's I normally use.