Thread: So - what are you using for live sound when you play out??

So - what are you using for live sound when you play out??

Just Curious who is using what these days.....

I still have a Peavey XR8600 I use for simple small vocal only type PA - but that is mostly very informal types of settings.

mostly I am using powered speakers/subs for mains/monitors etc with a Behringer XR18 setup. I have been really happy with this for almost a year - in fact so much so that I sold my Allen and Heath Mix Wiz to buy a second one as a backup. The flexibility is ridiculous and so is the size. I have been using QSC K12s and Kw181 out front - and some mackie Thumps for monitors. So far so good, but I may upgrade the monitors at some point and add a 2nd KW181.

Here is the key in engineering my system for me - It MUST fit in my grand caravan, WITH my bass rig. so far - so good. thats lights, too, stands, cables, mics, electric cables, etc......
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Re: So - what are you using for live sound when you play out??

I havent "played out" since 1989...........sorry I am of no use.
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Volumeknob View Post
    I havent "played out" since 1989...........sorry I am of no use.
    Well - At least YOU responded!
    Kenny Belmont

The singer's PA system. I'm of no use here either.

I plug my guitar and pedalboard into my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and mike it with a SHURE SM57 into the house's PA.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    Well - At least YOU responded!

We're kinda changing this over here, from now on there WILL be posts most everyday

When does the free RUM come Sergio???
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

I had tried to build a system from what I had and kept adding to it - only to find I had A LOT of CRAP.
    So I tried to tailor it with a snake, amps, eq's, compressors, gates, and all kinds of other stuff I had always been told you had to have.

A friend showed me his Behringer X32 and I thought how cool! Then I read about the XR18 - and read and read and read some more.
    There are several like it - QSC Q Touch, Allen and Heath has one, so does sound craft and of course presonus. This was the most cost effective solution for me to enter into a digital setup. So far - so good. I have had a chance to use it on about 100 shows, about 35 jams, and love it. I still need to learn a LOT about it, but have basics down pretty good with it. I will post a few pics if anyone has any interest.

I probably ought to rack it, but honestly, find that using it like a snake (wireless) is easiest for me. I like that I can run monitor mixes easily, and EQ them using an RTA to ring out feedback based on what actual frequencies are causing problems, instead of guessing. Subs on a separate aux are nice too and when I understand how - I can use it to record someday.

I would say if you are starting from scratch or rebuilding a PA - this is a good nerve center -
    Kenny Belmont

Like button.......clicked
    T. Roosevelt