Thread: Telecaster? Rather have a K-Mart Toy Guitar....

Telecaster? Rather have a K-Mart Toy Guitar....

Not reallly....

I love Teles and just wanted to pull chains.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Telecaster? Rather have a K-Mart Toy Guitar....

In my opinion, and to my ears, the tele sounds authentic and all that jazz, but the strat being FAR more versatile, because of the three pickups and the tonal range it can cover. I love all Fenders, including the tele, but if I had to pick just one guitar from the company, it would be a SSS strat with vintage style pickups.

Sincerely, I've always felt like the Tele is a bit overrated.

I need another Tele........perhaps a Tele BASS!
    MMMMMMM

Oh that IS YUMMY!
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Sergio, I'm buying a right handed Tele, flying down there, tying you to a tree, and making you play a Tele for a week. You'd become rabid for a 60s Tele with a B-Bender....
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Volumeknob, I want that bass in a lefty. Seriously I would so dig that.

Sergio, you blaspheme! The Tele can do it all. You need to have one to understand. I'll take a Tele over a Strat any day.

Where a Strat gets all boingy, nervous and quivering, a Tele bares its balls and gives 'em a knuckle sandwich.

The Strat's built-in reverb tank never allows it to have the solid punch and girth of a Lester or Tele. IMHO.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Lol I knew I'd be blaspheming, but maybe I really got to own one for a couple of weeks to figure it out right...

Anyway I'm about to let the GAS make me poor again. There's probably a Jaguar on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    Lol I knew I'd be blaspheming, but maybe I really got to own one for a couple of weeks to figure it out right...
    You really do! But you need to spend a good amount of time with one. Play some gigs where a lot of styles are covered.

I was a Strat player for many years and never understood the Tele. I had a couple and even assembled a real nice one and still didn't get it. Then I bought a tweed Deluxe clone and it was a match made in heaven. After a while, I realized that I preferred a Tele with any amp.

A typical Tele's bridge pickup is more cutting and punchier than a typical Strat's. It covers all styles from country to hard rock (and so many others) really well. It's neck pickup is warmer and smoother- jazzy, even. The two pickups combined are nice and round. Add a little delay for some cool rockabilly. That's versatility (my cheesy naming of genres in these descriptions is actually limiting what the guitar is capable of).

What does a Strat have over a Tele? Looks (to some), comfy curves, quacky in between tones, vibrato, a cool sounding middle pickup...

Enough that I need to have both.

Don, I'm fortunate enough to have two Strats and a Tele, and sometimes one will do, sometimes the other. I was always a Strat guy but tend to go first to my Tele. I actually go for my Les Paul pretty quickly and then the Tele.

I really love everything about a Tele. My AmStd with Nocasters does exactly what I need and want out of a guitar.

Do they still have the K-Marts?

What does the K stand for, anyways?

TFF Stage Crew

The Telecaster is one of those guitars that can be an aquired taste. There aren't many guys that you'd say about "they are a Strat player" or "they are a Les Paul player" but when you say "so & so is a Tele player" you get it if you are hip to Teles. Roy Buchanan is a Tele player. Danny Gatton is a Tele player. Roy Nichols, Jim Campilongo, Redd Volkaert, the list can get quite long.
    If you strap on a Tele & you are thinking about a Strat or some other guitar it just doesn't work, but if you know what they are capable of, & can coax that KLANK out of them, you're THERE.
    Telecasters! Nothing like 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    The Telecaster is one of those guitars that can be an aquired taste. There aren't many guys that you'd say about "they are a Strat player" or "they are a Les Paul player" but when you say "so & so is a Tele player" you get it if you are hip to Teles. Roy Buchanan is a Tele player. Danny Gatton is a Tele player. Roy Nichols, Jim Campilongo, Redd Volkaert, the list can get quite long.
    If you strap on a Tele & you are thinking about a Strat or some other guitar it just doesn't work, but if you know what they are capable of, & can coax that KLANK out of them, you're THERE.
    One of the first players I think of when I hear the name "Telecaster" is Jim Messina.

Maybe that's because I'm working on some covers of Loggins & Messina tunes. But man, that fella could SOUND a Tele!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    One of the first players I think of when I hear the name "Telecaster" is Jim Messina.

Maybe that's because I'm working on some covers of Loggins & Messina tunes. But man, that fella could SOUND a Tele!
    Great player!

Quote Originally Posted by sticko View Post

"Kresge"
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I like you, Cogs. You've stated it perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by sticko View Post

Krapp

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I like you, Cogs. You've stated it perfectly.
    Well I've been spending a lot more time w/my Tele since I installed the compensated brass barrels!

Well I've been spending a lot more time w/my Tele since I installed the compensated brass barrels!
    I've been wanting to do that.

TFF Stage Crew

You should! It's been like getting a new guitar. That plays in tune, lol

3 barrels or 6?

TFF Stage Crew

Just 3. Since you're a lefty you just flip them around, screw in the bolt from the other side of the barrel & away you go. I wish I had done it from the get-go

Good info. Tnanks, Cogs.

I will say this, a Strat is a lot more forgiving of a not-so-great amplifier. A Tele requires a something with some guts.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I will say this, a Strat is a lot more forgiving of a not-so-great amplifier. A Tele requires a something with some guts.
    My Strats sound okay through my Marshall, but I prefer it through the DRRI. On the other hand, the Tele gets life from the Marshall. It's great with the DRRI too, but it's so good through the JVM. Of course, the LP and Marshall have a classic sound, but my Tele does something different that is just as good.

S yes, a Tele does require a good amp. Bad amps tend to make them tinny.