Thread: Damn you, Col. Sanders!

Damn you, Col. Sanders!

I just ate an entire extralarge bucket of spicy fried chicken. Alone.

Dude... I think I'm gonna die. But it was tasty.

Had to share.

Re: Damn you, Col. Sanders!

And beer, don't forget the beer!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

And loads of spicy mustard

I haven't eaten KFC in years and years. I tend to not be a fan of chicken I can't see what's inside before I bite into it. I had some bad experiences decades ago and haven't gotten over it. That said, I think the George Hamilton extra crispy Colonel is a riot. He looks like he is blazed out of his skull. If they have an extra crispy with spicy batter I might try a small bucket of that

+1 on the extra crispy Colonel.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

My mother saw the real Colonel once. Had some hotties on each arm and was living it up. Howdy, Colonel!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I aboslfrigginlutely love those chicken little sandwiches. I could eat about a hundert ob dem!

Thanks. Now I've gotta go get a four piece meal from the Dirty Bird. And some of that Day-Glo coleslaw!

I decided to up this thread due to my latest eating disorder.

Being a Keef fan I was reading his autobiograohy for like the 7th time and the book reminded me of his fondness of Shepherd's Pie.

It happens that we Brazilians have a very similar dish, almost identical, but with less veggies and more focused on the meat and mashed potatoes, which we call "Escondidinho de carne moída" (literally 'Ground beef hidden in mashed potatoes), prepared pretty much the same way.

The outcome: I'm having the third Shepherd's pie dinner in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I decided to up this thread due to my latest eating disorder.

Being a Keef fan I was reading his autobiograohy for like the 7th time and the book reminded me of his fondness of Shepherd's Pie.

It happens that we Brazilians have a very similar dish, almost identical, but with less veggies and more focused on the meat and mashed potatoes, which we call "Escondidinho de carne moída" (literally 'Ground beef hidden in mashed potatoes), prepared pretty much the same way.

The outcome: I'm having the third Shepherd's pie dinner in a row.
    I make mine with a ground beef / tomato sause that I'd use for spaghetti, mashed potatoes on top and then in the oven til the top is good and crispy and everything's had a chance to simmer for a good bit.

Now I'm going to have to make shepherd's pie soon. It's been a year maybe.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ew. Shepherds pie - my least favourite casserole. While doing my undergrad, I worked in psychiatric group home. Seemed Shepherds pie was on the menu 3-4 times a week. Of course as a starving student, I helped myself! So of course I ate way too much of it in a short period of time. The last casserole sort of dish I eat is lasagna. I could eat that every day for the rest of my life!

I used to love fried chicken--my mother's homemade was better than the Colonel's. We'd have KFC occasionally when she was too tired to cook.

Now, I don't like it, except in the occasional Burger King crispy chicken sandwich. It tastes so greasy and nasty to me. I don't like brown meat either, so drumsticks make me gag. I prefer filleted; I find it gross to suck meat off a nasty bone.

I might not like it now, but I think back to our Sunday lunches, always special. And when I think of that chicken, I don't think about it being gross. I think about how delicious it was to me. Mom did the Southern thing and served 6 or 7 sides--beans, mashed potatoes, greens, turnip greens, squash, etc. After lunch, I'd collapse on the couch and stay there for a couple of hours to recover.

I used to love Roy Rogers fried chicken but they all closed around here. Popeyes has GREAT fried chicken - not as much a fan of KFC - it's like they uses an inferior grade of chicken... but sometimes it just hits the spot.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I used to love Roy Rogers fried chicken but they all closed around here. Popeyes has GREAT fried chicken - not as much a fan of KFC - it's like they uses an inferior grade of chicken... but sometimes it just hits the spot.
    I'm a huge Popeyes fan! Two piece spicy with red beans and rice, a bisquit and Dr. Pepper. I only get it a few times a year because it's not a healthy choice. I don't like KFC at all anymore. The chicken itself is lower quality and it's greasier than Popeyes.

Forum Member

When I lived with my grandparents as a teenager, every Sunday we had fried chicken for dinner. Of course, Mamaw would select the bird from the coop, give it a spin, and have it in the skillet in a short time. (If the preacher came for dinner, she would cook 2!)
    I don't eat chicken much anymore, hidden in a green enchillada casserole it's tolerable.

My father used to raise chickens and rabbits. We thought it was fun to watch him slaughter them. I don't think any made it straight into the pan that day, though.
    Last edited by Don; 11-06-2020 at 08:45 PM.

we never did fried chicken at our house, just roast chicken. Mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans or lima beans. Our local supermarket had great rotisserie chicken and it's been a long time since we roasted our own.

I love shepherd's pie. There's a place near me that serves an Irish Cottage Pie, which is essentially the same thing, made with Black Angus beef. I bring my own powdered cayenne pepper to sprinkle on it, zomg it is soooo good.

I was never a fan of KFC either. You could tell the chicken was not of a good quality, no matter how fresh it allegedly was. I haven't had Popeye's yet but I want to try their spicy kind. When a Popeye's opened here some years back, the reaction was ridiculous. They couldn't keep enough food in their freezer and sold out in hours. People were waiting in line for well over an hour to get one of their sandwiches.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

My grandmothers were good old Tennessee country women. One of them had a coop, but the chickens roamed free in the day. She'd step off the small back porch, grab a hen, wring its neck, and bring it in to pluck it. No emotion. Just had to be done to feed the family. Kindest woman you'd have ever met, quiet and modest, but she must have seemed pretty scary to the hens. I admire your grandfolks and mine for their toughness. And I admire it from the comfort of my kitchen where I reach in and grab meat already prepared to cook. I've taken part in the slaughters. I'm not as tough as my folks and their folks were.

Gotta go with Nick on this, Popeye's is the best. For me KFC is a bit bland and they use weird chicken parts.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I'm a huge Popeyes fan! Two piece spicy with red beans and rice, a bisquit and Dr. Pepper. I only get it a few times a year because it's not a healthy choice. I don't like KFC at all anymore. The chicken itself is lower quality and it's greasier than Popeyes.
    This.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I used to love fried chicken--my mother's homemade was better than the Colonel's. We'd have KFC occasionally when she was too tired to cook.

Now, I don't like it, except in the occasional Burger King crispy chicken sandwich. It tastes so greasy and nasty to me. I don't like brown meat either, so drumsticks make me gag. I prefer filleted; I find it gross to suck meat off a nasty bone.

I might not like it now, but I think back to our Sunday lunches, always special. And when I think of that chicken, I don't think about it being gross. I think about how delicious it was to me. Mom did the Southern thing and served 6 or 7 sides--beans, mashed potatoes, greens, turnip greens, squash, etc. After lunch, I'd collapse on the couch and stay there for a couple of hours to recover.
    So, uh, willie, how's it going with the vegetarianism?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    So, uh, willie, how's it going with the vegetarianism?
    Well, I'm tapering off although it sounds like I'm having a festival. I tried to go cold turkey and couldn't. So now, I'm having meat only about twice a week for dinner. Next week, it'll be less. Kids were in last night, and we at the last roast out of the freezer. But I admit that it's a struggle.

Vegetarianism is not some fad: it's a whole 'other way of living. I am resistant to change, and so it's more than about eating meat. But yes, I'm headed that way. I love steak and burgers especially, and other than that, I don't care if I have it or not.

I was seriously f'd up over the pig slaughters. Hell, I was a city boy, and we had moved to the country. It was culture shock. And for someone who grew up with it, maybe it wasn't a big deal. But for me, it was violence that really shocked me. I was 11 and with no exposure to that sort of thing, all of a sudden, I was in the middle of a blood and guts massacre. I went from watching Willie Wonka at my local theater, reading Charlie Brown books, and writing stories to standing in a river of blood. 8 hogs have a lot of it in them.

Some people do this for a living, and they can do it without a thought. I do not condemn anyone for wanting and eating meat. It' s personal decision.

For me now, it's a bit like being down to two cigarettes a day--time to either quit smoking or shut up and inhale deepy.
    Last edited by ch willie; 11-08-2020 at 04:28 AM.

We had pigs on my father's little Portuguese hobby farm, he didn't slaughter them, though. He brought them to a butcher.

My dad was a hunter. Ducks, deer and moose. Even though we lived in the village, I have vivid memories of him cleaning the ducks on the hood of the truck since my mother wouldn’t let anything in the house until it was ready to cook!

I hear you on the gradual morphing to vegetarianism. I don’t eat a lot of red meat anymore. Largely poultry and fish. Eggs and milk. I guess I’m a lacto-ovo-pesca-bock-atarian!

My daughter declared at age three that she was a vegetarian (in retrospect, for animal ethics reasons). However, she does likes the odd burger once in a while so go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    My dad was a hunter. Ducks, deer and moose. Even though we lived in the village, I have vivid memories of him cleaning the ducks on the hood of the truck since my mother wouldn’t let anything in the house until it was ready to cook!

I hear you on the gradual morphing to vegetarianism. I don’t eat a lot of red meat anymore. Largely poultry and fish. Eggs and milk. I guess I’m a lacto-ovo-pesca-bock-atarian!

My daughter declared at age three that she was a vegetarian (in retrospect, for animal ethics reasons). However, she does likes the odd burger once in a while so go figure.

i went 6 yrs without meat, and one night, weakened by hunger and the smoke coming from sirloins my brother was grilling--that was more than I could take, and so I ate. Best steak I ever had.