Thread: Just Arrived, My First Tele!

Just Arrived, My First Tele!

As suggested/requested, I'm starting a new thread to announce to the assembled masses that my very first Telecaster arrived. Moments ago, in fact.

I've never owned a Fender guitar before a few months ago, and now I have two. My Eric Clapton signature model Strat, bought brand new, is now my favorite guitar. I've never played a guitar as smooth as this, and it just seems to be "me."

But I also longed for the sweet tones of a Tele. Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, and others made one sing like nothing else. So, when I found a 60th Anniversary Tele for sale, I fell in love. Presto, here it is!

The only sign that it's been played is some pick rash on the pick guard. And you can only see it when viewed at an angle. Is it possible to be in love with two guitars? (Rhetorical question -- I love all my guitars!)

Re: Just Arrived, My First Tele!

That's a beauty! I love the traditional ash/maple neck/blackguard look. Enjoy it!

Beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

Take care, stay well.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Forum Member

Stunning.How does it play/sound?Excellent I bet?

Forum Member

Very nice! Spec's man! We need neck, weight, PU's and all. Spill it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt View Post
    Stunning.How does it play/sound?Excellent I bet?
    For overall playability, I think my Strat still has the edge, but I ordered a new set of strings for it, which may just be the difference.

I got the original case, and all the candy -- unopened! For a ten year-old guitar, this is schweeet! But I have to say, I'm a player before I'm a collector, so it's gonna have some wear-n-tear on it before they put me in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Very nice! Spec's man! We need neck, weight, PU's and all. Spill it!
    Specs, as far as I know them to date: Body is ash, neck is maple. Finish is laquer. Full 22 frets, with a 25.5" scale length. Neck radius 9.5", nut width is 1.685" (wider than my Strat [1.650"], narrower than my Les Paul [1.695"]). I have small hands, so maybe that's why the Strat "fits" better. Only 1,000 of these were made, and a plate on the back has the number and 60th logo on it. The pickups are American Vintage Tele© Single-coil. I read somewhere that the weight was supposed to be in the 5.5 lb. range, but that just doesn't feel right to me.

I also believe this is a 2011 issue, even though the special anniversary marker on the body reads 1946 - 2006.

That's a beauty! Give it some time, but you might just be a Strat guy. I'm the opposite, LOVE my Teles and just can't seem to get comfy with a Strat. Who knows? I still have both because they do different things.

Enjoy!!!!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    That's a beauty! Give it some time, but you might just be a Strat guy. I'm the opposite, LOVE my Teles and just can't seem to get comfy with a Strat. Who knows? I still have both because they do different things.
    Yep. My feeling exactly. Through a slight misunderstanding, I had to clarify on the Les Paul Forum that I didn't want my Les Paul to sound like a Strat. That's what I have a Strat for!

Each one of my guitars gives out its own specific sound. This in turn inspires me, and I become a better player as the result.

Hell Yeah!

That looks freakin' awesome!

In the best of health!

You know we need more pictures, right?

You know the standard ones, backside, frets, tuners, and jack plate.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Oh she's a looker.. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Yep. My feeling exactly. Through a slight misunderstanding, I had to clarify on the Les Paul Forum that I didn't want my Les Paul to sound like a Strat. That's what I have a Strat for!

Each one of my guitars gives out its own specific sound. This in turn inspires me, and I become a better player as the result.
    Yep, I think you're right on! I want for my sound to change when I change guitars. Granted, I'm still always gonna sound like me, but the nuances will be different. I've got nothing against Strats, I just prefer a Tele. I have had a bunch of Strats over the years. My issue isn't so much a tone thing, it's ergonomics. I'm one of the weirdoes who doesn't like the way a Strat feels.

And LOL about the LPF thing! I always crack up when people really do want to make their LP sound like a Strat, or a Tele sound like something it's not... I always just tell them to switch guitars. I mean, sure, it's plausible to get a little more "quack" from a LP, or whatever else like that. I'm just so tired of guys wanting 1 guitar to make ALL the sounds... SMH

Sorry for the hijack! I'll get off my soapbox, the rant is over. Take care buddy!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    You know we need more pictures, right?

You know the standard ones, backside, frets, tuners, and jack plate.
    And...

Wouldn't you know it, after I set up to take some photos, it turns out my camera is broken. This p*sses me off, because earlier this year I spent nearly $200 having it repaired, and now it has to go back to the shop. @#%@!

At least I have a backup camera. It doesn't take the same quality photos, but in the interest of fulfilling your requirement, here are some shots I managed to snap.

Bravo man, bravo!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Forum Member

Awesome! Love it.

Nice piece of ash!

Re: Just Arrived, My SECOND Tele!

Lovin' me some Teles!

Just arrived at my office. Fresh out of the box: 2016 Limited Edition American Select Lite Ash "Magnificent Seven" White Blonde Telecaster with gold hardware, tortoise-shell pickguard and Limited Edition ingot (on the back of the headstock). 6lbs. 7oz. Sweet!

Nice, OldStrummer!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Nice, OldStrummer!
    Thanks, CH Willie. I just got home and plugged it in (yes, I know you're supposed to wait 24 hours) and it blew my socks off!

I'm going to have my own Telecaster-vs.-Stratocaster war!

WOW sweet Tele action
    Congrats
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

BRAVO!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Lovin' me some Teles!

Just arrived at my office. Fresh out of the box: 2016 Limited Edition American Select Lite Ash "Magnificent Seven" White Blonde Telecaster with gold hardware, tortoise-shell pickguard and Limited Edition ingot (on the back of the headstock). 6lbs. 7oz. Sweet!

Very nice Teles!

I just had the the same see though white/light Ash Tele dropped on my doorstep. Very nice work coming out of Fender's Corona plant.

Funny thing I noticed about some of the Magnificent 7 runs is that Fender seem to be using up older/leftover parts on some of these. Wildwood has three of the see through white Tele models with serials that start with 13. The first two digits being the year the neck was made. Mine came from Sweetwater (Wildwood wanted two more Benjamins on the table) and has a '16 serial and birds-eye Maple neck.

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    Very nice Teles!

I just had the the same see though white/light Ash Tele dropped on my doorstep. Very nice work coming out of Fender's Corona plant.

Funny thing I noticed about some of the Magnificent 7 runs is that Fender seem to be using up older/leftover parts on some of these. Wildwood has three of the see through white Tele models with serials that start with 13. The first two digits being the year the neck was made. Mine came from Sweetwater (Wildwood wanted two more Benjamins on the table) and has a '16 serial and birds-eye Maple neck.
    Interesting. Sweetwater didn't have any of the Magnificent Seven white ash Teles when I checked. That surprised me, as Sweetwater is generally the first place I go when I'm looking for gear.

Forum Member

I purchased the last one they had in stock. I was looking at them on Wildwood but wasn't ready to pony up. Then I received the latest Sweetwater catalog in the mail and they had the Mag 7 light Ash Tele listed for $1599. When I called my rep he said "they are out of stock, wait we have a demo..." I got an extra Franklin off the sale price for it being a demo.

Really couldn't see any issue with the guitar at all. It appears as new. The plastic on the neck pup had been removed but the plastic on the guard was still in place and all the case candy and case were there in new condition.

I'm really liking the '58 pups. A bit more old school Tele than the AmStds Twisted Tele neck pup and brass bridge set-up. I like the AmStd too but the neck and middle pup positions on that guitar definitely lean more towards Stratsville.

Love to hear what your first impressions are.

I got some GAS looking at that seven ENJOY!

Very nice Teles,congrats.