Thread: getting ready to record, gaffer tape question

getting ready to record, gaffer tape question

I'm in the process of setting up my recording gear for the first time in many years. Since this is not a regular part of my activities it will probably be left up for a while. One thing I can't stand about having gear out is the mess of cables. This time I'm planning on running the cables taped down and out of the way as much as possible.

I've heard of gaffer's tape for decades but never have encountered it before personally. Is it meant for one show and then be taken off or can I leave it for weeks or even months? I ask because I know that masking tape, painter's tape et al leave residue if they're in place too long. I'm setting this stuff up and I want to leave it for a long time so I'll actually get some recording done.

Re: getting ready to record, gaffer tape question

Hello brother.
    Any tape will leave residue after a long time.
    However I would use gaffer tape for your project and tolerate a little clean up at the end of the project.
    My preferred gaffer tape is Nashua 357.....Black of course.
    Take care, stay well.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I'm in the process of setting up my recording gear for the first time in many years. Since this is not a regular part of my activities it will probably be left up for a while. One thing I can't stand about having gear out is the mess of cables. This time I'm planning on running the cables taped down and out of the way as much as possible.

I've heard of gaffer's tape for decades but never have encountered it before personally. Is it meant for one show and then be taken off or can I leave it for weeks or even months? I ask because I know that masking tape, painter's tape et al leave residue if they're in place too long. I'm setting this stuff up and I want to leave it for a long time so I'll actually get some recording done.
    Most guys I work with now use the velcro cable ties. No mess, easily reconfigured and cheap. A snake is a handy thing too.

All that said, usually in a recording situation I'm pretty static and not moving around so the cords aren't an issue. You want to be able to quickly change out gear. And sometimes, moving a mic to different corner makes all the difference. Or sticking the amp in the bathroom so you can crank it...
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

cable ties and velcro strips won't really do what I want. I'm not concerned about moving the mic around. It's only a 10'x10' room. Once I find a position that works that's where it is going to stay until sometime around the holidays when I need to tear down and make room for company staying in the spare bedroom that is my storage area. I want the cables hidden from sight and not rolling underfoot if/when I do trod on them. I intend for them to stay out of the way as much as possible and I want them immobile.

some one suggested using a rug, which isn't a terrible idea but size, shape and cost are limiting factors. This isn't a permanent setup, I just want it as tacked down as I can get it for Aug-Nov/Dec (depending on which holiday the out of staters are coming for)

Tape it down, you'll be fine.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Do a Google search on "cable duct." That's how the pros do it, if it's not run under the floor.

TFF Stage Crew

Gaffer's tape is wonderful for stages. In the studio, long term? I wouldn't use it. It will turn to gum & you'll need lacquer thinner or some citrus oil to get it off.