Thread: Looking for a bass after 38ish years off

Forum Member

Looking for a bass after 38ish years off

I need to find a bass forum probably but figured youse guys could help. I need a bass in my life again. I played one professionally many years back. Started as a rhythm guitarist then took up bass when our band just couldn't find a bass player. Ended up doing it for 5 years and got fair at it. I have been listening to lots of them on the web and am most impressed with the B&G Big Sister, the Music Man Neck Thru 2 humbucker model, the new Fender Elite Jazz, and an SR5000 (I think) Ibanez. I don't want to spend a ton, so the B&G is probably out, but I like the tones on it and definitely the weight. It comes in around 4K, the Fender amd MM around 2 and the Iby around 1. What's some good stuff to look at and what to avoid. Please don't hesitate to tell me "Everything is chit exceptin' a 59 Precise Fenenderer" as well. I am open to all things. Just don't get butt hurt if I don't do that is all I ask.

P.S. Also am impressed with ELRICK

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Re: Looking for a bass after 38ish years off

I have been totally happy with a Lakland 55-02 (Korean). Many tones in that beast.
    Mark

I have fenders, Yamahas, and SX right now, but can't tell you what to get for you.....

I CAN tell you this though.....
    Try some things out and see what makes your liver quiver!

Now.....
    I will tell you I have seen several Sire Basses come through the venue I work at.
    I have been able to dial in and out anything I wanted and found the feel to be fantastic, along with the sound. I don't care if someone else doesn't like them, or does.....THAT was my experience.

A great quality instrument, at a great price.
    I don't' know......find a reason to argue with that!
    I will probably own the black on black with rosewood 4 banger this year

EDIT to add.....
    what kind of basses do YOU like?
    what style intrigues you?
    what is your budget?
    where are you?
    New or used?
    etc etc etc........
    Last edited by FrankJohnson; 08-12-2016 at 06:06 PM.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

I am trying to avoid Pacific rim guitars. Maybe I am stupid, but I just am.

⩥ When I played I was on old Gibson and Fender units. But at the time there was not a lot else.
    ∆ Everything intrigues me, when it comes to guitars I am a total child gazing in wonderment.
    ......Particularly when beautiful wood is involved.
    ......I have to grab a 5 string Elrick this week just to see if I could even handle that.
    ⊙ I have sourced several that are 6K down that I really like.
    ⊜ I am in Tejas, Austin area.
    ≓ New or used, yes.
    Last edited by renderit; 08-13-2016 at 05:32 AM.

yeah - not sure then.....too many great options out there to blindly consider.

sounds like your sights are set much higher than mine, so I probably am not any help.

That said - maybe go try some of the offerings you are interested in if you can find them, and go through the fitting process.

EDIT - talk with Mike Delaney - he is a Tx builder and I have played some of his guitars/basses.
    Tell him the Bad JuJu guy in Delaware sent you
    http://delaneyguitars.com/
    I had a chance to play two of mike zitos, smantha Fish, albert castiglia, craig coffield and scot sutherlands pieces
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I'll step out on a fragile limb.

My 2012 AmStd Jazz bass is the most versatile of all my basses, and I think that's a quality of Fender basses in general. So don't discount the obvious answer of Fender--they still make great basses and at a relatively modest price.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I am solidly looking at the American Elite line of Jazz and Precision. 2 negatives 1) Heavy as a bus b) controls are kinda crap if you want to switch in and out of active mode. Other than that they sound freakin' great. I might like that new neck through Music Man a slight bit more soundwise but it is even heavier.

I think active electronics are shit worthless, that's just me personally. Play some basses, see what appeals to you. At the end of the day, I'd go with a P or J. Past that? They're just reiterating those
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I think active electronics are shit worthless, that's just me personally. Play some basses, see what appeals to you. At the end of the day, I'd go with a P or J. Past that? They're just reiterating those
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    I have an American Vintage Series '62 J-bass, which I LOVE!!! However... It IS heavy... If weight is the deal breaker to you, then a Custom Shop Fender is your only option, and that's gonna crush your budget... It is what it is these days...
    I don't know, I have seen some actives I like and some that sound like chit. Yeah, I like me some PBJ's! But that's the problem, I see both as you kinda need them hence looking at active/passive setups so you can do a reasonable facsimile of both. If I had stuck with the bass I'll bet I would have been squarely in your camp. Passive/vintage/tubes or go home! Since I took a break I may change. With Bertolini's on an Elrick I think it kinda seems to me to be pretty fine sounding. Also the Fender American Elites sound pretty good. I used to hit a Precision and a Gibson EB something (I don't remember) through an SVT. I am kinda looking somewhat forward to playing with the Solid State Hi Fidelity side for a change. Out with the 15's in with the 10's maybe. Definitely a backpack amp, like the D-800 Mesa or the Bergantino B-Amp. Bear in mind, I am looking to noodle, play some of my own backing tracks and not much else. I don't need anymore women's undergarments thrown at me anymore. With my fans they's be HUGE!

I'll look at some Custom Shop. But the Jazzes I have picked up are a friggin' ton. Precisions lighter, but I can only do the muffled thing for so long and I want a Jazz or something back. Also, call me a hairy tick, but I kinda like the tones rollin' off a Gibby Thunderbird.

LOL About the underwear.

Don't get me wrong, actives have a time and a place. I just don't care for them as it seems that most guys can't use them judiciously... All my basses are passive, and mostly old school. But, as much as I love tubes, I sold all my vintage amps and bought an Ashdown. It gets me pretty close to what my V4B did, but doesn't weigh a ton.

End of the day, I prefer as simple a rig as possible. Yes, it's nice to have a bunch of options, but usually guys spend more time fiddling the knobs than actually playing. Seems to me that you like that Elrick, so I'd say get it. If it feels comfortable, and sounds good, then you're going to play it better than something you don't actually like. I think that's more important than having all the "cool" toys.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

In the process! Found some good stuff. On the amp side I am going to run it through a 59 Bassman copy (Victoria) for the tube side and a Bergantino B|AMP with an HG310 cabinet most of the time. The Berg is a tasty little thang that is supposedy also fantastic for anything acoustic. Bass, fiddle, guitar etc. So I can get stoned with two birds...

Candy Apple Red link >>> Jazz bass reissue for sale

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GregsGuitars View Post
    Candy Apple Red link >>> Jazz bass reissue for sale
    Whatzit weigh? Nice looking. Think I roped an Elrick though at just over 8 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Whatzit weigh? Nice looking. Think I roped an Elrick though at just over 8 lbs.
    Cool,yes this one is near the 10lb mark....

Forum Member

I did the Elrick and the Bergantino.
    Last edited by renderit; 08-25-2016 at 07:29 AM.

Forum Member

Last edited by renderit; 08-25-2016 at 07:29 AM.