Thread: Please help me intonate my Telecaster

TFF Stage Crew

Please help me intonate my Telecaster

Really going around & around on this. I don't want to replace the bridge entirely (w/a six-saddle bridge), but I desparately need something to get the correct intonation on this sucker. Has anyone tried the "compensated" barrels? Several manufacturers out there, recommend me one!
    thx

Re: Please help me intonate my Telecaster

I've used compensated saddles from Stew Mac, Glendale and have CJ Guitar Toolling 5/16" steel saddles on mine now with great results. They've all been the kind with the tilted saddles. The only problem that I've had is that the strings moved around on the steel saddles until I put a small notch on them. That wasn't a problem with brass and aluminum saddles.

I've heard that other types work well, too.

TFF Stage Crew

Jazz Master & Tele-basher Tim Lerch also recommended the Glendale saddles. I'm gonna check them out

Glendale saddles aren't cheap. I won my set in another forum's holiday raffle several years ago. Mine were a "Twang Set" or something like that. Brass E/B and G/D saddles and an aluminum E/A saddle. I'm happy with the steel CJs that I have on it now. To be honest, the Stew Macs were fine.

TFF Stage Crew

Jeez, you're right. About $60 a set

I've done compensated and plain. Surprisingly, the larger diameter MIJ saddles I got off an '88-'89 tele are not tilted in any way but larger than most barrels I've seen. I should measure them sometime. I have them on my CV50 Tele and it is intonated very nicely. The stock barrels of the CV were puny in comparison. The guitar already sounded real good and these large diameter brass barrel saddles took it to an order of magnitude better.

I've got a set of either Glendale or Rutters kicking around somewhere, I think the former. I liked them a lot and hope to do another build someday.

My steel CJ saddles are pretty large- 5/16" in diameter. They're supposed to be like the saddles on a Broadcaster. They were about $30 shipped. Unfortunately, I don't think he's currently in business.

It's funny, I had a guy who looked at the guitar mention that I should try brass saddles to improve the tone, as if the steel ones that I have on it were some kind of random junk.

He hadn't even heard the guitar!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I have enjoyed Rutter's saddles. But $$ at $45-$55
    But you can intonate and not have the saddles all tilted. Personally I like brass for the eB and GD, with aluminum for AE.
    http://ruttersguitars.com/uploads/Ru...sssaddles2.jpg
    Mark

There are inexpensive compensated brass Tele saddles out there, but I don't know the availability in the U.S. I got a set of (to be honest) fairly cheap ones and I can't
    say they affected the tone adversely - plus the guitar IS in tune. I had to fit the intonation adjustment screws that came with them as they wouldn't fit on the Fender screws.

e.g.: http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Compensated...p/compsadd.htm

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Best intonated saddles I've ever used are by Wilkinson, and they're the cheapest too! LOL Seriously, you can get a complete bridge, thru/top loader setup, with the saddles for like $30. GFS carries a bunch of Wilkinson parts, I'm so happy they do because they're high quality at an affordable price. Check them out, I've started using their saddles on every Tele. I've tried plenty of other ones, and these really are the best!!! What I like most about them is that they sit parallel to eachother. Most comp saddles use the screw angle to get the intonation. Wilkinson does it by "notching" the saddles like you'd do on an acoustic. Very cool idea and it works great!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

TFF Stage Crew

Dang, I didn't even think about checking w/GFS!
    I love their stuff

Some of it is really good, the quality has definitely improved on some things. Check out their "Slick" line of pups, REALLY good!!! Only thing is they come relic'd...

TFF Stage Crew

I've ordered a couple of the "D42" trems from them, the ones w/the shallow holes in the blocks. Great product, no complaints from me. A bonus feature is the trem arms fit nice & snug in the hole. I hate it when there's play in there & the arm is loose.

TFF Stage Crew

I ordered some "no-name" compensated brass saddles off of eBay, & they got here yesterday. I installed them & they work just fine. So nice to have my guitar back, & improved to boot! It started to bug me, & every time I picked it up it seemed more & more glaring.

Forum Member

Do pictures. I may have to play with this stuff on mine though it seems OK now I'm getting ready to change up on the strings (sizes and types).

TFF Stage Crew

Alrightie Ren, here you go. I did make one small modification to the bridge: As you can see in the 2nd pic, the little Allen-head height adjustment screw on the high E side protrudes a bit. The one on the low E side did the same & it bugged me, as I could feel it on the heel of my hand. So I stuck it in a drill-press & filed about 1/8" off of it. Now it is the length you see here, not extending past the top of the saddle. You may not think it but it makes all the difference.
    Here are a couple images:

Last edited by Cogs; 08-10-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Forum Member

Cool. I may get a set "just in case".

I think you either got Wilkinson, or a knock off... Those look EXACTLY like the Wilkinson saddles I have bought. And,? I don't think you're crazy at all! Seriously. Your guitar should be comfortable to YOU! F everyone else!!!

That's a pretty geetar you got there!