Thread: Volume pedal.

Forum Member

Volume pedal.

The band i am playing in wants to introduce everyone during the last song. They want me to begin playing my part "electric Rhythm guitar" while i am introduced. I found that attempting to adjust the guitar volume down for the introduction and then back up to normal playing volume after the introduction while playing was impossible unless i stopped playing so i could adjust the volume pot on the guitar. I thought getting a foot controlled volume pedal might solve the problem. After doing some research i discovered there are many affordable units but they all seem to have issues of strings breaking or scratchy pots or poor ergonomics or tone altering issues unless a buffer is added. I discovered there are mods for some of these, but thought i might be better off getting a pedal that works out of the box. There are a few expensive units $250 and up which don't seem to have any issues except that they cost three times more than the rest. Though i don't want to part with the cash i am thinking the Hilton Pro limited would be a good choice. Of the affordable pedals the Dunlop DVP1XL seems like a good unit. Curious to know what you are using and what you think of it.

This is one of a few volume pedal reviews i found. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/ind...swells.834299/
    Last edited by Trav-ler; 06-25-2016 at 10:21 PM.

Re: Volume pedal.

Uh, how do you adjust the volume when you're playing a song? You could just strum softer too. Leaning to tame the dynamics is part of guitar playing. Think of an acoustic. How do you control the volume when you're "unplugged"?

The guitar's volume volume controls the overdrive, so it's a skill required if you go from a balls-out rocker to a ballad.

IMHO, a volume pedal is a huge, tone-sucking black hole in your signal chain and is to be avoided.

Other opinions may vary.
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 06-26-2016 at 05:41 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Uh, how do you adjust the volume when you're playing a song? You could just strum softer too. Leaning to tame the dynamics is part of guitar playing. Think of an acoustic. How do you control the volume when your "unplugged".

The guitar's volume volume controls the overdrive, so it's a skill required if you go from a balls-out rocker to a ballad.

IMHO, a volume pedal is a huge, tone-sucking black hole in your signal chain and is to be avoided.

Other opinions may vary.
    I may make a few volume adjustments at the beginning of a rehearsal but after i find the right volume i use pick pressure to change volume or make any minor adjustments between songs. I confess i find it very difficult to reach down in mid song while I'm strumming which is usually throughout the whole song to make a volume adjustment. The band is a blues band and seems to only play blues tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav-ler View Post
    I may make a few volume adjustments at the beginning of a rehearsal but after i find the right volume i use pick pressure to change volume or make any minor adjustments between songs. I confess i find it very difficult to reach down in mid song while I'm strumming which is usually throughout the whole song to make a volume adjustment. The band is a blues band and seems to only play blues tunes.
    For me blues requires really good dynamics for the band to sound good, and use of the tones. Back off on verse, let the bass and singer carry it - then pump it up on the instrumental parts.

Plus, how do you control your overdrive level without using the volume? Even with an OD pedal, you should reach a point on the guitar's throttle where opening it up more adds OD and pulling it off cleans it up. Since clean cuts so much better than dirty, you'll hardly notice the volume difference until you get get it fully cleaned up.

It's really better to learn how to use the controls on the guitar. You can get a wider pallet of sounds with a few tweaks than just adding a dirt box. It's a skill, and I recommend you develop it.

If you drop out for a beat or two to to make an adjustment (unless you're doing the Doobie Brothers rhythm parts!) nobody will notice anyway.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    For me blues requires really good dynamics for the band to sound good, and use of the tones. Back off on verse, let the bass and singer carry it - then pump it up on the instrumental parts.

Plus, how do you control your overdrive level without using the volume? Even with an OD pedal, you should reach a point on the guitar's throttle where opening it up more adds OD and pulling it off cleans it up. Since clean cuts so much better than dirty, you'll hardly notice the volume difference until you get get it fully cleaned up.

It's really better to learn how to use the controls on the guitar. You can get a wider pallet of sounds with a few tweaks than just adding a dirt box. It's a skill, and I recommend you develop it.

If you drop out for a beat or two to to make an adjustment (unless you're doing the Doobie Brothers rhythm parts!) nobody will notice anyway.
    Good points Offshore Angler. Even though this band has much more experience than i do i think they are in a learning curve regarding dynamics. They often want to play too loud. I have mentioned to the band regarding playing at lower volume levels numerous times and they might play at a lower volume for a song or two and after that its back to playing too loud. When they are playing too loud i often can barely hear my guitar. After reading your post and thinking about my experience with this band i have come to realize that until they decide to monitor their instrument volume volume changes for me will a moot concern. I will bring this up again at the next rehearsal.

I am often using a Fender Hwy 1 Tele and blues jr limited edition tweed. For a gritty sound i set the blues jr at ten-eleven on volume and adjust the master to about six and set the guitar volume so I'm not playing over the band. For some songs i use a dirt pedal I have a few of them. For a clean sound i set the amp volume at about six and adjust the master up to about seven and readjust the guitar volume as necessary. I am thinking i am just now learning about finding the sweet spot for amp volume and guitar volume settings to be able to make a guitar volume adjustment to go from clean to gritty. Is this tone change accomplished within a quarter turn at the guitar volume if the amp settings are correct?

Maybe i will hold off on the volume pedal for now and attempt to develop the techniques you mentioned. Thanks Offshore Angler. Your comments were very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav-ler View Post
    Maybe i will hold off on the volume pedal for now and attempt to develop the techniques you mentioned. Thanks Offshore Angler. Your comments were very helpful.
    I think this is a good idea - for a blues band you want to keep the tones as pure as possible, and you've got a good rig to get you there.

Also - I played in a band with Offshore Angler for a number of years and he's very correct - one of the most important skills a guitar player can and should develop is to use his or her guitar's tone and volume controls.

And as a strummer, I understand your challenge but trust me - nobody notices when you skip a single strum to adjust the knob - and if you do it right it might even sound like you're doing it on purpose as a rhythmic texture.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

Last night I went to the local blues jam bar and played in the jam. This proved to be a very different experience from playing with the band I have been playing in. I kept your advice in mind while playing with complete strangers playing songs I had not heard of before. This experience got me out of my comfort zone and caused me to see playing in a group somewhat differently. I had to forget some of what I learned in what has become my comfort zone and become more intuitive anticipating where the group was going next. This experience forced me to strum harder and softer depending on what the singer was doing. We had a very good singer on stage with us and he was very dynamic compared to what I have become used to. I now understand a little better why, when and how much dynamic range might be needed to play well with more experienced musicians. Thanks to both of you for your comments. You fellas saved me some money and gave me another perspective to view this learning curve from. Thanks.
    Last edited by Trav-ler; 06-27-2016 at 05:12 PM.