Thread: What are you currently using for PA for live gigs?

What are you currently using for PA for live gigs?

Just curious what most people are using....

I have friends still using their standard Stuff on a stick setups - no issues....

Others with complex setups - some with array setups -
    all depends on the gig, the band, the setting etc. and what you have

What are you guys using? Just curious in todays world......
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Re: What are you currently using for PA for live gigs?

For bar gigs/smaller venues (about 80% of our gigs):

Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 + MacBook Pro w/Universal Control + iPad Remote. Also use the iPad during the show for teleprompter/setlists (with Setlists app).
    2x Electrovice ZLX15P mains
    3x Mackie TH12 monitors
    1x Rolls PM351 for drummer IEM (mixes in click track); Shure SE215 IEM for drummer
    3x Shure SM58 mics fox vox
    1x Sennheiser e906 mic for electric guitar amp
    2x Radial ProDI for acoustic guitars
    1x set of AKG drum mics
    16x4 50' stage snake

for larger venues if no house PA:

Add in 2x Electrovice ELX118P subs
    Add in 2x Chauvet 4-bar LEDs + stands

I've cobbled this system together over the last six months - got the board, mains and monitors used at a pretty good price; guitar and drummer supply thier own mics. Remainder I either owned already or bought new. Probably about $3500-4000 altogether incl all audio and power cables (but not incl. subs or lights, which we rent when necessary).

Its a nice setup - flexible too!

How many pieces is the band?

Curious - are you in the mind set that I am? I own it so I don't have to worry about someone else having it? Early on - I had to hire guys because they had equipment, but I didn't really mesh with them......
    Kenny Belmont

Thanks!

Oh man, long story leading up to this, but I own the whole shebang (except for drum and guitar mics and anything we need to rent). I don't want nor ask for any compensation given a pretty horrible "arrangement" we had last year with a previous band "leader". I like doing sound, want to hone my craft in that and try to make us sound as good as we can! There's a sense of control I like to have over sound - but I try not to be controlling, if you know what I mean? It's worth it to me to have capital tied up in the rig and also to hump it around! I've also hired myself out as SR for other bands but am pretty choosy as to which bands and rooms I work in.

We're a country backing band (bass, guitar, drums) that works with a couple of different configurations - in one case, two singers/acoustic guitar players, in another case, a singer/electric guitarist + keyboards. We also work with a couple of different solo singer/guitarists. This system is flexible enough to accommodate these situations.

The core three of us (bass, drums, guitar) are a pretty committed unit and having our own quality PA helps us get decent gigs - and as you say, it's quite a flexible setup for our needs. We played a larger gig last weekend with pro soundguy, proper stage and a small line array system and I think we generally sound better than we sounded with this much more expensive system.

With the gigs we do this year and my share of the earnings, I'll have recouped most of the cost of the system - so, not too bad!

Cool -
    Similar - blues four piece typically. two gtrs - bass and drums - sometimes horn(s) and/or keys

Add in - got hired three years ago to provide pa for a blues jam, which morphed into doing sound for a blues jam and then some national acts. PA evolved quickly - and now is the XR18, K12 tops - KW 181 sub, sometimes add carvin subs...... using Mackie thump 1000s for vocal monitors, which have done a GREAT job. funny - when you can get 15-20 off at GC or MF from time to time, and add the $50 rebate - they are the best bang for the buck at $200 ea. That said, I have one K10 and would love to go that route one day.
    Kenny Belmont

For now, just the house PA, whatever it is.

I usually take my Fender amp, shure SM57 mike and throw 'em on the house's stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    Cool -
    Similar - blues four piece typically. two gtrs - bass and drums - sometimes horn(s) and/or keys

Add in - got hired three years ago to provide pa for a blues jam, which morphed into doing sound for a blues jam and then some national acts. PA evolved quickly - and now is the XR18, K12 tops - KW 181 sub, sometimes add carvin subs...... using Mackie thump 1000s for vocal monitors, which have done a GREAT job. funny - when you can get 15-20 off at GC or MF from time to time, and add the $50 rebate - they are the best bang for the buck at $200 ea. That said, I have one K10 and would love to go that route one day.
    Right on! I hear you about the Thumps. They work well for us - you can find them anywhere and usually don't have to pay through the nose for them. If one fell off the back of the truck, I'd have no problem picking up a new one to replace the old one!

In my past band, the PA owner had the X32 rack mixer. Quite the rig but I didn't groove on having to rely on the tablet interface. I do use and iPad with my Presonus when sound checking, but prefer the fader/channel strip form factor when performing. Menu is a bit too deep for my liking for the X32 remote app. But the X18 seems like a great peice of gear for the typical small venue!

I'm still learning this rig, and what the capabilities are - also the limitations.
    I did sound for Sean Chambers last night - and had a blast! Great B3, bass, drums and guitar - and a GREAT band, not to mention great people.

I wish I had a better handle on doing better FOH video. I will get you a couple of clips to post, but they aren't great - just iPhone, and poor location. Oh well -

will get that this weekend
    Kenny Belmont