Thread: Gibson Worn Brown SG vs. souped up Epiphone G400

Gibson Worn Brown SG vs. souped up Epiphone G400

I've got a pair of SGs in my stable - a "real" but cheap Gibson from about 2011 and a really deluxe looking, playing, and sounding Epiphone SG.

The Gibby is really worn. It's got the ceramic pickups which gives it a great "bright" sound that sits nicely in a mix next to the Fenders and Gretsch I usually play. Here it is...

On the flip side, the Epi is a glossy sunburst, in pristine condition, with the batwing pickguard and 2 really great Bare Knuckle aftermarket pickups, upgraded tuners, and the piece de resistance, a Vibramate Bigsby unit. Also, unlike the Gibby, the Epi has the trapezoid inlays instead of boring dots. In actual performance, it is a better guitar. In looks it is a better guitar. But it just doesn't say Gibson on it.

This is it without the Bigsby:

So why do I bring it up? Well...to get you guys thinking and talking about whether you would "condescend" to playing an Epiphone...and I know that some won't...and also - would you choose a better Epi over a slightly less-good Gibby of the same model?

I played the Epi in church yesterday for one song - it's in open G and set up for slide, which there is literally one song in our repertoire where I play slide.

And it looks great under stage lighting. I'm thinking about making the Gibson the "slide" guitar and making the Epi into a more regularly-used axe. Not sure just yet tho.

So what do you guys think?

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

Re: Gibson Worn Brown SG vs. souped up Epiphone G400

I go by the old saying "You dance wif him who brung you". That has nothing to do with this, but I go by it, so I have that going for me...

Whatever moves you, do that. If you'll like the gibbo better as a slide machine, then that's what you gotta do.

One thing that strikes me though, is I am glad that none of my guitars look as nice and new as that Epi anymore. I'd be scared to breathe on it or even look at it wrong. Oddly, the best thing I ever did for my favorite Tele was (accidentally) put a righteous gash in the front binding. Really allowed me to stop babying it and enjoy it much more.

This brings up another point - I've been trying to sell my Epiphone Firebird VII - nicely aged with the three pickups and the Maestro vibrato...only because I (A) don't dig the three pickups in this guitar and (B) the vibrato is just a paperweight by which I mean I never use it.

So I put it on CL - it's been up for awhile but I bumped it yesterday and received a nastygram from someone who was pissed off because they thought I was trying to screw someone on price. He indicated he thought it was from China - and sent me a link to one of the sites where you could buy "Chibsons" or "Fibsons".

Well...theyve got very convincing forgeries of Gibby's, Fenders (and to a slightly lesser "identical" degree, Gretsches and Rics).

Now, as a budgetarily challenged lover of guitars, it's hard to pass up trying one that looks like a Gibson, SAYS it's a Gibson, and costs less than an Epiphone.

Anyone have any experience? I am thinking of floating a trial balloon here and getting an Explorer (since I've already got a "real" V and the Explorer would just be a bit of nostalgic fun from my old days. But I got scammed online by a guy years ago claiming to make custom switch boxes for amps and rack gear (Voodoo "something-or-other" I misremember the name now) - I even had a lengthy email conversation outlining my needs and I sent him $140 to make the device PLUS shipping and never received another response.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    This brings up another point - I've been trying to sell my Epiphone Firebird VII - nicely aged with the three pickups and the Maestro vibrato...only because I (A) don't dig the three pickups in this guitar and (B) the vibrato is just a paperweight by which I mean I never use it.

So I put it on CL - it's been up for awhile but I bumped it yesterday and received a nastygram from someone who was pissed off because they thought I was trying to screw someone on price. He indicated he thought it was from China - and sent me a link to one of the sites where you could buy "Chibsons" or "Fibsons".

Well...theyve got very convincing forgeries of Gibby's, Fenders (and to a slightly lesser "identical" degree, Gretsches and Rics).

Now, as a budgetarily challenged lover of guitars, it's hard to pass up trying one that looks like a Gibson, SAYS it's a Gibson, and costs less than an Epiphone.

Anyone have any experience? I am thinking of floating a trial balloon here and getting an Explorer (since I've already got a "real" V and the Explorer would just be a bit of nostalgic fun from my old days. But I got scammed online by a guy years ago claiming to make custom switch boxes for amps and rack gear (Voodoo "something-or-other" I misremember the name now) - I even had a lengthy email conversation outlining my needs and I sent him $140 to make the device PLUS shipping and never received another response.
    Voodoo Switches did the same thing to me. Even down to the conversation! I PayPal'd and got a refund through Paypal. Story is they've been scamming for quite some time.

As to the Explorer I'd search the bay for a Gibson faded model. By the time I dicked around bringing the Chibson up to speed I'd be too close to a used Gibson faded price wise to justify sporting the Chibby...

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    Voodoo Switches did the same thing to me. Even down to the conversation! I PayPal'd and got a refund through Paypal. Story is they've been scamming for quite some time.

As to the Explorer I'd search the bay for a Gibson faded model. By the time I dicked around bringing the Chibson up to speed I'd be too close to a used Gibson faded price wise to justify sporting the Chibby...
    That's another way to go I hadn't thought of - though I bought a faded Gibson V that someone had put new pickups and a Vibramate on and paid $750...that's significantly more than the about $279 that the same guitar would be from the Chinese factory. Add $200 for a pair of quality Duncans and you're still saving some bucks. But, yes, there's a risk that the instrument is a pig...

I play whatever sounds best! I'm done with labels and brands. I've said it before, but my #1 bass has a Squier body. Granted, there's about $800 of quality parts bolted to it... But still, I've played some "entry" level guitars that were great! Last V I had was an Epi, and it beat out the Gibsons that were in the store. I played every V and picked the best one.

A good guitar is a good guitar. I've played some expensive ones that were dogs, and some cheapies that were killer, and everything in between. Anymore though I don't buy online, I want to try before I buy
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

I am not an accomplished guitar player, but I do appreciate what sounds good. Several years ago, I bought a couple of knock off teles, (Austin), they were $120 with a pretty nice gig bag. I gave one to an old guitar player friend who was a recovering addict, thinking the guitar wasn't worth anything, so he couldn't pawn it for drugs. He set both of them up, and I enjoyed mine, but had to tinker, and came up with a set of "Texas Special" pickups, and rewired it with CTS pots, and a 4 way switch. It sounds as good, and plays as well as any Tele I've ever played!
    He has since recovered, bought a Strat, married a nice girl, and leaves the "Tele" at a church they attend. Says it plays great!

Forum Member

Speaking of new Gibbies for the empty guitar stands -- have you guys seen the Gibson N-225 Nighthawk Electric Guitar? I'd never seen one, but if you like the SG pointy horns, this sweet double cut chambered body with pin-stripes(!!!!) is one of the most creative Gib designs I'd seen in a while. Dirty Fingers hummer in the bridge, coil tapped, and P-90 in the neck!! And a funny Lyre Trem lever south of the bridge. Looks like you'd need a roller bridge, maybe even a roller nut to stay in tune. But the hand-painted (!) California-customized pin-striping is a great retro/modern look to my old Car Craft / Rod & Custom eyes. They started in 2013, it appears most of the big houses are closing the black one out for a lot more than half off list -- almost Epi territory!! I found pictures online. Just had never run across it before!! Look it up and share your reaction.

Forum Member

I like those black 225s!

But sadly I'm in downsizing mode at the moment. Trying to go from 20+ to 7...

Real tough decisions lay ahead but I really want the space in the music room so I can actually use it.

Quote Originally Posted by sofjazz View Post
    Speaking of new Gibbies for the empty guitar stands -- have you guys seen the Gibson N-225 Nighthawk Electric Guitar? I'd never seen one, but if you like the SG pointy horns, this sweet double cut chambered body with pin-stripes(!!!!) is one of the most creative Gib designs I'd seen in a while. Dirty Fingers hummer in the bridge, coil tapped, and P-90 in the neck!! And a funny Lyre Trem lever south of the bridge. Looks like you'd need a roller bridge, maybe even a roller nut to stay in tune. But the hand-painted (!) California-customized pin-striping is a great retro/modern look to my old Car Craft / Rod & Custom eyes. They started in 2013, it appears most of the big houses are closing the black one out for a lot more than half off list -- almost Epi territory!! I found pictures online. Just had never run across it before!! Look it up and share your reaction.

I picked this up in November of 2013. This is my "go to" guitar for recording and small gigs. It does everything GREAT. I still love my 2003 crescent moon SG, but this baby goes from Brook Benton to Al Dimeola in nothin flat.

I've got some of each. The black Epi is a 2005 Deluxe. They are my favorite acid rock and jazz fusion guitars.
    https://youtu.be/8rcBnxi5xqc

You don't choose your guitars, they choose you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    You don't choose your guitars, they choose you.
    An interesting sentiment, Sérgio, but a bit too ethereal for my taste. I find that I adjust to the guitar. However, it's true that I find some guitars more to my liking than others.

Sure thing... If you own a guitar you will adjust yourself to it, eventually.

But then there are those that you hold, play and say "hey, this is the one". If it is a cheap one or an expensive one matters very little.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Sure thing... If you own a guitar you will adjust yourself to it, eventually.

But then there are those that you hold, play and say "hey, this is the one". If it is a cheap one or an expensive one matters very little.
    I'm not arguing with you, Sérgio. I've had those moments when a guitar in my hands just felt right. I have two currently: Silkie and Tele.Strat.Or that just seem to "fit." Neither of those guitars reached out to me, though. I had to acquire them and play them before I felt they were "the one(s)."

Just for grins and giggles, check out my new post in the Stratocaster section. I'm adding it now.