Thread: Telecaster Jack Cup

Forum Member

Telecaster Jack Cup

Hi everybody,

I just bought a new Fender American Deluxe Telecaster. I've had Telecasters in the past, and that's why I bought one again. They might just be the best guitar on earth, but one thing that I never liked was the jack cup. It just wouldn't take my preferred right angle power cord jack.
    I have on order, a Rutters Shallow Twisted Machined Jack Cup. I've heard that will correct the problem. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had occasion to install this particular jack cup in their guitar. I must admit that I haven't removed the jack from my guitar, as I've been awaiting delivery, but I do have a couple of questions.
    One question is, will I have to obtain a different jack? Will it have to be a different shape, or length, or will I be able to simply re-use the original jack? If you've installed one, you'll know that the cup by design, threads itself into the wooden body of the guitar. I believe that one would tap it in with a soft faced mallet, and I wondered if this was a difficult process, with potential for body damage. Also, was it prudent to apply adhesive to the threaded portion, to avoid the jack working itself loose, sometime in the future? And generally speaking, what was your evaluation of it's performance?
    Any other details, that you may think relevant, would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dave

Re: Telecaster Jack Cup

I do not think I am confused but what type of Telecaster uses a power cord?

If you are referring to an instrument cord then not all plugs are made the same. Imperial versus metric can make a difference in fit with both jack and plug.

Why not just change cords and use the same jack that millions of guitar players use including most of the greatest players on earth?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Why not just change cords and use the same jack that millions of guitar players use including most of the greatest players on earth?
    The SUPER SLIPPERY ONE from WHAMOO?

I use Electrosockets, never had a problem with it. I've found most trad Tele cups won't take a right angle plug.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Straight Jack it.

Mash it good between the body and strap.

Play it in anger, no really get angry, it is O.K.

You are welcome.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydg5 View Post
    I do not think I am confused but what type of Telecaster uses a power cord?

If you are referring to an instrument cord then not all plugs are made the same. Imperial versus metric can make a difference in fit with both jack and plug.
    Not true. Electric Guitars use a standard 1/4" phone plug which is also exactly 6.35mm.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I use Electrosockets, never had a problem with it. I've found most trad Tele cups won't take a right angle plug.
    +1 on electrosockets. All Tele jack parts are NOT made equally and as any tech can tell you, it is the most commonly replaced/fixed part on Telecasters.

Click here