Thread: A Variety of Bass Amps? Sure, why not?

A Variety of Bass Amps? Sure, why not?

When I was a young bassist of 19, I couldn't afford to even consider the idea of having more than one decent bass amp, and I had a hard time holding on even to that.

I am not Mr $ now, but I figure that in the future, I'll have my Fender Rumble 350, but I'll add to the collection with a good old Ampeg SVT full of balsy thump bumpbumpbump tube amp. I'll get to gig it about once a year, but it'll be worth it.

In the meantime, I really like the GKs I've played in various shops--can't remember the models, but they were heads plugged into various cabs. Really nice.

I don't have a collection of bass amps to show, but I'm betting FJ (Kenny B) does, and I'd bet others do too.

Love to see pics and short (0r long ) descriptions.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: A Variety of Bass Amps? Sure, why not?

I used to have a V4B, SUNN Model T, and a Nomad 300... Sold them all and got an Ashdown head. Yes, I miss my tube heads. There's nothing that compares to them. But, the Ashdown gives me 87% of what those did, is WAY lighter, and less maintenance. Do I miss my tube heads? Yes! Do I miss the hassle? HELL NO!!!

I'll post a pic
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I used to have a V4B, SUNN Model T, and a Nomad 300... Sold them all and got an Ashdown head. Yes, I miss my tube heads. There's nothing that compares to them. But, the Ashdown gives me 87% of what those did, is WAY lighter, and less maintenance. Do I miss my tube heads? Yes! Do I miss the hassle? HELL NO!!!

I'll post a pic
    It was a Peavey bass stack that made me say, "Dammit, I'm going to be a flautist in my next life!"
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I used to play saxophone, and it was WAY easier! But, it didn't grind, rumble, or rattle my gonads...

Gonads, guts--as long as the bass rumbles, I don't care which organ feels it....

you know - as much as I want to own some other things - bass amp wise - I don't have much

I sold a lot of the extra stuff - and have two small heads -a genz shuttle 6.0, and an Ampeg portaflex 500.

Both are smaller lighter class D. Cabs are Avatar 1-12, which I couple with the Genz Shuttle 1-12 when needed, and a 2-10 I use stand alone (also an avatar) sometimes.

I sold the bigger heavier stuff after the accident and honestly, I have been ok. I invested in some better PA which I guess is sometimes part of my bass rig, and I am good.

That said, I have a tech 21 sansamp RBI I have used to go direct into the PA and used NO bass rig, with QSC K12 as a monitor. THAT worked absolutely fine. No one missed the rig, and I dialed my own monitor. had a friend run sound and it was a solid gig.

All of this being said, these days, you don't have to have a huge heavy rig, but truth be told, they really DO sound THAT good and I enjoy when I can plug into a larger setup here and there. Just not the haulin part - you know?
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Kenny, you've got the right idea about gear and amplifiers. Very sensible and practical.

That's why I'll use my Rumble 350 for all but that one outdoor summer gig where I want an Ampeg SVT not only because of the balls of it all, but because too of the way that SVT stack is burned into the GASsy chambers of my heart and brain. It's not practical, and it makes no sense whatsoever except just that childhood of watching Macca, during Wings Over America, rocking that SVT stack. Also, the most magical bass gig I ever had, I played through an old SVT stack that rumbled my guts and made me feel, for that particular evening, like a bass god. My Rickenbacker through that thing---well, there were metaphorical lights shining down from Heaven on me that night. I know it's goofy, but I gotta have that rig one day.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Kenny, you've got the right idea about gear and amplifiers. Very sensible and practical.

That's why I'll use my Rumble 350 for all but that one outdoor summer gig where I want an Ampeg SVT not only because of the balls of it all, but because too of the way that SVT stack is burned into the GASsy chambers of my heart and brain. It's not practical, and it makes no sense whatsoever except just that childhood of watching Macca, during Wings Over America, rocking that SVT stack. Also, the most magical bass gig I ever had, I played through an old SVT stack that rumbled my guts and made me feel, for that particular evening, like a bass god. My Rickenbacker through that thing---well, there were metaphorical lights shining down from Heaven on me that night. I know it's goofy, but I gotta have that rig one day.
    I had a SVT410hlf - very deep ported 4-10 made to generate very deep lows. Weight about 125# or so.
    used a QSC power amp and sansamp through it - for about 1200 watts of oooozing deep delicious ass-spankery and chest thumping ball jangling bass.

it was too much for 98% of everything I do, and caused me issues, AND was too much to haul to be worth it.
    a lot of the touring guys use smaller setups on the go, or have multiple cabinets to match the room. Many others seem to have larger rigs, and can control them. The others......just don't care how loud they are, and it can sometimes cause issues with the venue. Has nothing to do with being too old....... has everything to do with your clients being happy.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I have different sized cabs to pair with my head. I really only use it as a monitor. I'll let FOH take care of volume

I've gone through the range over the years (Eden, SWR, GK to name a few) and currently have an Ampeg PF-500 + PF115 cab as my #1. Backup is tc electronic BG250-210 and backup to that is Line6 LD150. All great lightweight, portable, loud and pretty decent sounding amps for not a lot of money. Not the the bad old days of non-D class amps/non-Neodymium speakers.

Over the years I've utilized several different setups for bass in this order:
    Bell PA amp driving a Hammond organ woofer in a home made cabinet
    1963 Fender Bassman
    1963 Fender Showman
    1964 Fender Dual Showman (still own) eventually added a Kustom dual CTS cab (then changed it to dual JBL D140)
    1977 Sunn Model T with 2 18" folded horn bottoms
    A.R.T. Nightbass preamp driving a Carver PM 1.5 into SWR Golliath

The two current rigs are:
    Aguilar DB680 preamp driving a Crown K2 amp (800 W/channel @ 4 ohm load) into 2 EA VL2110 4 ohm cabinets w/Line 6 G55 digital wireless
    and
    Eden WTX500 into a TC Electronic RS210 cabinet w/X2 digital wireless

The Aguilar/EA setup has covered every group I've played with from 10 piece R&B groups to guitar trios. I originally purchased the TC electronic RS210 to use as a practice rig utilizing an Eden WTX260 but found it worked very well for playing in small lounge situations or larger venues when I have limited stage space but access to the house PA so I upgraded the WTX260 to the 500.

i have 2 Acoustic Control 220 heads from the 70's and an Ampeg B112. I got a line on a HiWatt DR201 that I will eventually get. A 70's WEST head would be nice to have for the Grand Funk sound.

Currently I have a Hartke which makes me QUITE happy----- but for some reason I WANT a tube amp.....for bass......
    but DAMN they are pricey (remember I am a cheap bastard)

ANyone knbow a good CHEAP tube bass amp?????
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Forum Member

Forum Member