Thread: Looking to buy my first Tele

Looking to buy my first Tele

Heya folks, it's finally time for me to get a telecaster. I've put this off for too long but the hunt starts now.

Anyway, I'm looking to get the best telecaster for me that I can grab for under 2k USD (used is strongly preferred). My must have list is pretty short:
    1. 9.5-12" radius, neck size anywhere between recent R9 les paul and my 96 1960 reissue
    2. traditional pickups, with a neck suited to jazz style (ala Julian Lage, Ted Greene, Bill Frisell, etc)
    3. not a boat anchor

Fender on the headstock doesnt matter. Dano, Kirn, Nash, K-line, etc. would all work. My head says blackguard because of the strong fundamental note thing they have going on, and then a bridge that could do Buchanan melting down fender tones, but my heart says white with rosewood fingerboard. Rosewood is a nice to have; if the ash/maple combo is the real Jazz deal.

My first thought is Danocaster because of this fine young man's recent work, but I'm open to anything:

Re: Looking to buy my first Tele

I'm sure if you contacted any of the boutique guys they'd spec out exactly what you want. Nothing wrong with Blackguard pups in a non Blackguard guitar.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

I picked up this a few years back. It is a monster. The middle pickup is added by pulling out the tone pot. 10" radius large neck profile, tall narrow frets, Fralin s/s/s pickups. Plays outta this world now that I set it up right. Fabulous neck. I got it at close to what you are looking for price wise.

That's a beautiful guitar!!!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

I bought it because of the neck. It just felt right, never mind it's a beautiful chunk of wood. I was getting ready to sell it though because it was buzzy and I didn't play it much. While I was prepping it for sale I tightened down the truss rod until the neck was almost zero relief. Magic happened right there. The action is now the lowest of any of my fiddles, and some tweaking on the PU's got them good and greasy. It now feels just about perfect and I play it. A lot.

Renderit, that's a beautiful guitar.

I did look at Grosh, Nash, MJT and even Suhr but tonight I played on my new-to-me Shoreline Gold Danocaster.

I'll have pics up soon, I ran out of daylight playing it

Forum Member

Cool! I'm ogling a Tele as we type. Figure I need one of the "real thing". It is a new one. Pickups sound fantastic and I just might bite if they shoot me the right price...

I'm craving for a Tele myself. I think I'll settle for a good old baja, though. Classics are classics.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I picked up this a few years back. It is a monster. The middle pickup is added by pulling out the tone pot. 10" radius large neck profile, tall narrow frets, Fralin s/s/s pickups. Plays outta this world now that I set it up right. Fabulous neck. I got it at close to what you are looking for price wise.

Just had too.. Awesome simply stunning Ilike...

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Just had too.. Awesome simply stunning Ilike...
    I don't normally like fancy things but this is really cool!

Bootieful! Really nice. It took me a few minutes to get the Strat horn--ha ha ha. I like it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    I'm actually shopping for a Tele myself... The problem is, I can't seem to get away from the Custom Shop, light relic models, and I really don't want to spend that kind of money... My CS light relic Strat has ruined me...
    I bit.

Forum Member

I may have found one... Details coming soon...
    Me too. Probably Monday or Tuesday. I gots the deal - o - the - century!

Forum Member

Hey! Where's the Dan-o-caster pictures? Dude! You promised...I listened to a few of those. Had my deal fallen through I probably would have gone for one of those.

I may have found one... Details coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Hey! Where's the Dan-o-caster pictures? Dude! You promised...I listened to a few of those. Had my deal fallen through I probably would have gone for one of those.
    that's fair. here is one Dan-Strain-O'Caster. please ignore the logo on the headstock; the neck pocket and details confirm this is a freakin era Dan Strain telecaster, and it is positively glorious

Danocaster Telecaster

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    that's fair. here is one Dan-Strain-O'Caster. please ignore the logo on the headstock; the neck pocket and details confirm this is a freakin era Dan Strain telecaster, and it is positively glorious

Danocaster Telecaster
    A relic with compensated saddles?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    A relic with compensated saddles?
    I think the vast majority of Danocasters come with them.

The guitar plays great; I'll give up a bit of vintage accuracy for that. I went Dano because of the fretwork & neck finish, the other relicing is a take it or leave it proposition for me.

Forum Member

That is a glorious looking beasty.

Forum Member

To the OP:

Do yourself a favor and look at early MIJ teles. I picked up an early 80s MIJ tele for $380.00 with HSC off of ebay. I didn't know anything about telecasters so I wanted to just check them out. No joke - I old my R8 Les Paul the following month. Tele + tweed is a great match!

I was looking for something with a thicker neck and some of the old teles (even strats) have a great neck profile. They're thicker than the MIA versions - and they have a 9.5" radius. My next purchase will be a nocaster reissue - MIJ.

Really... they're *that* good!

Having satiated my desire for a Strat, I'm now looking to fill the hollow ache of a Tele, too. The different models drive me nuts, as I have a hard time distinguishing the differences between some of them. For example, Sweetwater is offering a special on American Standard models with a PLEK'd neck and bone nut upgrade.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TASMVBLPKN

Compare that to an American Standard offered at Sweetwater for $250 more:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleAMMNAT2

What does the additional $250 buy you? Other than one is alder and the other ash.

And I notice most Teles go for less than Strats. This makes buying one more appealing, but price doesn't always determine the best value...

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Having satiated my desire for a Strat, I'm now looking to fill the hollow ache of a Tele, too. The different models drive me nuts, as I have a hard time distinguishing the differences between some of them. For example, Sweetwater is offering a special on American Standard models with a PLEK'd neck and bone nut upgrade.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TASMVBLPKN

Compare that to an American Standard offered at Sweetwater for $250 more:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleAMMNAT2

What does the additional $250 buy you? Other than one is alder and the other ash.

And I notice most Teles go for less than Strats. This makes buying one more appealing, but price doesn't always determine the best value...
    The first guitar is an American Special. I'm not sure the differences between it and an American Standard, other than the finish, more traditional bridge and a bigger logo. I like it!

What part of the country are you in red?
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    What part of the country are you in red?
    Winston-Salem.

I guess an appropriate corollary question is was it you?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The first guitar is an American Special. I'm not sure the differences between it and an American Standard, other than the finish, more traditional bridge and a bigger logo. I like it!
    Update: I found and bought on eBay a 60th Anniversary Tele, which should be delivered tomorrow. It's slightly used, but other than one small (unnoticeable) ding, it's perfect. OHSC and candy included. Here's a link to a pic that may disappear soon...

That looks great! Start a new thread with details on it when you receive it.