Thread: Another Strat Serial Number Question

Another Strat Serial Number Question

I am looking at what appears to be a Fender Custom Shop 1958 Strat in Mary Kay white. The Certificate of Authenticity (still in the unopened plastic bag) says it was made in 1997, but when I look around the interweb, I find that CN numbers mean Korean-made. I am not sure what I have. It is absolutely pristine. Brand new. It looks like it has never been played, so 1997? Korean-made?

I am checking this out for a friend. I am baffled by Fenders' numbering system.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Re: Another Strat Serial Number Question

I got swamped in sites with Fender serial numbers, so I called Fender. The guitar is a 1997 Custom Shop 1958 Strat with maple neck and Mary Kay finish. I can't believe the condition. It looks brand new. Any idea what a fair price would be on this? Personally, I think he is getting a good deal.

Forum Member

From my perusing prices seem to be in 2K to 2.5K range when being sold by real people.

Shop prices are all over the place and usually fairly high, IMO.

Thanks, Dan. I was thinking along the same lines. My friend is getting this for $1500 which I think is a pretty good deal, given the condition. It also makes me wonder how many folks bought these as an investment and never ever played them. The little plastic goodie bag has never been opened. What a shame.