Thread: vintage 66 Jag: need help indentifying tuner upgrade...also vintage

Forum Member

vintage 66 Jag: need help indentifying tuner upgrade...also vintage

I recently purchased my "Excalibur" after an 18 month search. A 66 jaguar. Fret markers are dots so it's the first half of 66 before CBS changed the markers to the Les Paul style blocks the later half of 66. Action is nice and low and rings across the board. I buy guitars as a player not a collector. Neck is still adjustable properly without any worry. Essentially, it's a guitar that is worth an 18 month search. The only thing I am curious about are the tuners. I love Fenders. Always have. Not a Gibson, PRS kinda guy... ya know? However, I always change the factory tuners. I don't think they're reliable. Anyway, here's my inquiry: the 66 Jag I just bought was priced low because it doesn't have the original tuners. They are upgrades, but they are also clearly very old and I need help identifying them so I know what I'm playing with. They are polished, reflective metal, if I had to guess I would say they have between 10-20 years less wear then the rest of the parts. The heads are NOT the smaller "rounder" shape from the 60's, they have the slightly larger more "rectangular" shape currently used today. The back of the "housing" peice that screws into the headstock is engraved with an "S". Anyone know what they are? I tested them a bit to see how much pull and tension they can handle and these bad boys are pretty solid. I'd like to know more about them. Anyone? They fit the headstock enough that no issues with function occurred. However they look like they are just a hair too large and overlap ever so slightly.

p.s. I know I didn't need all of that info to ask this question but I just found my dream guitar 4 hours ago, you'd probably gush a bit too! ;-)

Re: vintage 66 Jag: need help indentifying tuner upgrade...also vintage

to the forum! Post up some pics im sure someone here will know the manufacture....