Thread: Bass VI – Custom Shop or MIJ?

Forum Member

Bass VI – Custom Shop or MIJ?

I was wondering if anyone here would have an opinion on the Custom Shop Bass VI / the Japanese Bass VI. A local shop (Cph, DK) has a Custom Shop model, which goes for about $3750 / €3485, whereas the Japanese model is only about $1.090 / €1.010. Apart from a small scale difference (as I understand, the Japanese is slightly longer), the only apparent difference is the Jaguar mute – the Custom Shop has one, the Japanese doesn't. Is the build quality as different as the prices?

Re: Bass VI – Custom Shop or MIJ?

I have a couple MIJ Fenders, they are nice instruments. Their one drawback is that the pickups are usually not so good. Fit and finish have always been really nice, IMHO. So I usually play the guitar and see how it feels and reacts. I buy it if I like it and get some nice pickups and electronics for it.

I don't own any Custom Shop guitars, but I have played some. They were all very nice!

Thing is, and I know I'll catch hell for this. But guitars being made out of wood leaves room for both great and crappy guitars, from the same line. Meaning I've played some "cheap" guitars that were great, and some expensive ones that weren't. A more expensive guitar series will usually be more consistent.

Best answer for you? Go play both and see which one you like better. The CS will retain more resale value if that's a concern to you. But, my main guitar is an MIJ with custom pickups. So at least give that one a fair trial. MIJ Fenders are nice instruments
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"