Thread: Some things I've been working on

Some things I've been working on

Hey guys, been awhile since I've posted. Decided to make one thread with several of the guitars I've modded or built over the past couple months.

This Strat I got in trade for some work I've been doing for a friend. I pulled the pickups I had put in it for him and loaded it with some GFS Gold Foils, and they're pretty rad! Very interesting EQ curve on them, I've been getting some neat sounds out of them. I also replaced the trem block with a solid steel one, it really helped with the sustain and overall bigger and better tone.

Here's my Gold Tele, GFS body and Strat neck pup. Voodoo 59 bridge pup, Wilkinson hardware. Nothing crazy, just a nice and solid Tele that does the Classic Rock thing with aplomb. It doesn't really twang, but gets more of a Jimmy Page type tone. I really like it.

Here's a Partscaster I got from the same buddy I got the Strat from, and was pretty nice when I got it. I changed the bridge and pups, ripped out the shielding, and rewired it to how I do things. It was nice the way it was, I just wanted it different. I'm using a GFS Slick lead pup, and a Lawrence MicroCoils neck pup. Another friend is buying it off me, which I'm happy about as I need the money and he wanted a good Tele. So there ya go.

Lastly is 3 Teles. L to R: My Thinline, which I've posted about before. Purple Tele I cut the body from alder, used a baseball bat neck I had laying around, and loaded it up with a Duncan Lil 59 and a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary in the neck. It kinda sounds like an SG, sort of. Pretty cool Rock guitar! And the "mother of toilet seat" is the newest one. And I'm SO happy with how it turned out. All Parts vintage neck, GFS body, GFS rail pup, 70's Gibson Mini in the neck, and Wilkinson hardware. I went weird with it and wired it up using a 5 way switching system drawn up by Bill Lawrence. It basically has the traditional Tele wiring on half of the switch, and the other part adds a cap to the neck pup to attenuate some bass and makes the combo position more "quacky" and allows more brightness with the solo'd neck pup. It's interesting and fun to play.

"don't worry, i'm a professional!"

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Some things I've been working on

Great looking bunch Chuck! Something about that purple Tele has me really drooling.

Thanks buddy! It's a cool guitar, and it fills the void of the SG I had years ago. I'm not really a humbucker guy, but I like it cuz the pickups aren't hot. So it still cuts without a ton of mid range. But now, I'm interested in trying out a 70's Custom Deluxe type Tele. I've always thought they looked cool, but haven't played a nice one. So I'm thinking about building one for myself. Then I can spec it out and not have to modify something I buy. I like modding but sometimes prefer to start from scratch.

Take care!

Hopefully I'll have a couple more Teles to add later this month. I have a Swamp Ash and 2 Pine Tele body blanks to cut out. Both of the Pines will be Esquires, mine will be close to the "Snakehead" prototype, and the other will be a baritone with an HB for my buddy that I built the Pine Jr for. Not sure what I want to do with the swamp ash one... I figured I'd cut it out and stick it on the shelf until I know. Maybe that one will turn into the Custom Deluxe I've always wanted. I do know that I want to try the Telenaors when I get to that project. Spendy, but I don't care.

TFF Stage Crew

Seems like you are quite Telefied

Nice work. Or importantly even, seems like you're pretty happy with how these things are turning out. Glad you posted, keep it up..!

Thanks guys! I'm at 7 right now... Probably doesn't help that my mentor was a master luthier who specialized in Teles! Once I get this Tele binge out of my system I'm thinking of getting crazy with some Jazzmasters. Those have always been my favorite, it was the first electric guitar I bought.