Thread: Behringer XR18 - anyone?

Behringer XR18 - anyone?

So, I have been using a Carvin 12 channeled powered Head for a few years now, and learned to run outboard amps and effects with it - its a decent setup.

I also got an Allen and Heath Mix Wiz last year which is far beyond that but I can't fit it in my van with subs, mains, Power amps and bass rig, plus cables lights and the rest of the stuff. Its in a big mixer and rack setup (3 EQs, compressors, and other gadgets of mass discombobulation) which is perfect to leave at the venue I have been running shows and Jams at for ......2 going on 3 years.

I JUST picked up a Behringer XR18 and am using my laptop with it. I will be getting a touch screen laptop or 2 in 1 or similar soon to run it. I have spent a couple of days mucking with is to learn it better. I am in no way ready to take it out yet, and don't need to (sigh of relief) immediately.

That said, I will say I am looking forward to it. I don't have any hand on with digital mixers so it is a slight learning curve. I will also say I can see HUGE benefit in it. I have picked up a set of four mackie thump 1000 12s, and a QSC K12. I will be adding More K12s, and maybe go K10s also, as I progress on this. The thumps were a good deal in two separate batches so I am ok with them, even if they aren't quite up to the QSC level. they are REALLY good monitors, and do fine as mains with subs in the picture, or on their own for smaller rooms.

The XR18 has a lot of nice features, and I will do a review as I get to know it better. I like the fact that you can save the setup, and name it, label everything etc.....AND if you want - send it to a device, or via email should you need it somewhere else, or want to have it on multiple devices.

Once I get a handle on it, I will be able to hook up the XR18 on the stage as you would a snake, and use the laptop or tablet out in front - no snake. HUGE time saver. Using powered speakers I need additional extension cords, but can work with that. I will need more XLR, but less speaker cables. I am already setup for that. I can fit the XR18 AND laptop in a case I have about the size of a nice padded briefcase type case since it is about the size of a loaf of bread.

I have a 30 foot network cable I can use as backup, and will see if I can get a 50 foot or longer in case I need it. I am also going to carry a backup device in case I need it. If it is a tablet, it will fit in that same case.

Down the road - I will look into powered subs, but for now am going to use the carvins and light weight power amps I have.

Anyone else gigging or doing sound with these types of setups?
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Re: Behringer XR18 - anyone?

ok - So I have gone through a few PA incarnations over the past couple of years.
    I will keep a 12 ch. Carvin Powered Mixer I have - it has been awesome to me. 4 on board amps, 4 EQs, 2 monitor mixes - sturdy - durable useful.

I will sell the 8 Ch Peavey XR8600 - it has been an efficient and faithful friend. AWESOME for mostly vocals and sturdy as the day is long.

Allen and Heath Mix Wiz - I am still learning to use it, and it has been my bigger show bread and butter. I will cable and label it so I don't forget how it all goes together so I can hook it up easy when I need it.

I will be switching to the Xr18 I do believe. I have a large screen Laptop and two tablets which all work well with it, and a 30 and 50 ft network cable in case wifi is iffy in the room.

No snake, a box about the size of a loaf of bread for inputs and outs
    I have enough powered speakers now for mains, and monitors, still have amps and subs. that will come in time. So now I will use XLR cables instead of all 12 awg speaker cables and have acquired enough to have spares for sure.

I am going to make an electrical cable with boxes to feed the speakers, and be available for pedal boards too.

I have used it in trial runs, and will be using it for jams through the winter to get more familiar on it so that when spring shows begin - i will be ready.

I like this thing - built in RTA to ring out monitors and eq FOH. Also - once you understand it - A LOT you can do with it. I am going to stick with 3-4 monitor mixes, Aux fed subs, and keep it simple - to be sure I understand it....... at least for now. VERY NICE setup.
    Kenny Belmont

We have the 32 channel mixer at church, it's pretty nice. I cut my teeth on analog boards, so had to get over my disdain for digital boards. Once I did that I could actually mix a service and not complain. Thing for me is that I still don't like not being able to look at or touch ALL the knobs, as with digital you have to select what you're doing. Even though I don't feel as fast on a digital, it does streamline things.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

As I mentioned in the other thread, my last band used the X32 rack along with the digital personal monitoring system from Behringer. K12s and KW181s for FOH. Not a bad system at all, easy to set up and get good sound. But not cheap and overkill for most of the gigs we did (channel count and power/SPLs)...

That band folder as did access to this PA. In the interim we used a Phonic PowerPod 10 channel mixer in a box and a pair of homemade mains, a pair of homemade monitors and a pair of PV12s. OK for rehearsals, very lacking for gigs.

I opted for a Presonus 16.4.2 with a pair of EV ZLX15Ps for mains and Mackie Thump12s (v3) for monitors. Bought it all used for under 3K including cabling, stands etc. Remote mixing from the desk with the outstanding Presonus iPad app. 16 channels out to the computers for live recording plus the Virtual StudioLive program for mixing on the laptop if desired. This system is a good fit scale and costwise for us.

The innovation in the digital mixer realm, plus lighter, more powerful cabs make sound reinforcement in a small band a better place to be these days.

I liked the XR18 so much - I just picked up a second one as a back up. I sold my allen and heath mixwiz and got this, and a KW181. I think it will feed most of the rooms I do on its own, and will couple it with the carvins at the venue for the blues shows. That will let me bi-amp a sub/monitor for the drummer spot too.

I beileve that this is a really good setup - now I need to get a better android tablet - mine won't hold a charge as long as I would like - but its fine -I leave it plugged in most of the time.
    Kenny Belmont

if any of you are running your own sound, and looking to upgrade - I would encourage you to check one of these out and see it in person.
    Kenny Belmont