Thread: Oddly Unsung Strat Players

Oddly Unsung Strat Players

Roger Hodgson of Supertramp. I saw them in 79, and he was playing a sunburst Strat, and he really rocked it. I was listening to the never played on the radio tracks from Breakfast in America, and his electric guitar work impressed me and reminded me of that concert.

Roland Orzabal from Tears For Fears. He's a wonderfully tasteful guitarist.

From the 80s band, The Fixx, Jamie West-Oram

Others not usually mentioned in such lists?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Oddly Unsung Strat Players

Jackson Browne--I remember him playing a Strat on an early 80s tour. He's got style and plays melodically.

Steve Gaines--his Strat work on Street Survivors is just classic. I'm not a huge Skynyrd fan because they've burned them out on the radio, but I still marvel at Gaines's playing, and I love how his Strat sounded.

Bob Dylan--when somebody tunes his guitar, his idiosyncratic playing is interesting and is as punk as folk can get.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Mike Rutherford - Genesis

Michael Gurley - Dada

Bonnie Raitt

Susan Tedeschi

Jeff Healey (RIP)

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Those are all great, and I think Rutherford should be sung a lot louder than he is now. And Bonnie is one of the greatest rock and blues guitarists ever, terribly forgotten by the trades and radio these days.

Geez...how could I leave out Ronnie Earl!?

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

...and Walter Trout:

-Edmund Burke

Hear a great story today about Walter Trout on either Weekend Edition or All Things Considered--NPR. I've since listened to some of the tracks of his latest album, and my my is the man burning it up. He's got style, taste, and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post

Others not usually mentioned in such lists?

'

Hopefully you lads WILL appreciate this (fine), suggestion, regarding Paul Rodgers, lead-singer of FREE & BAD COMPANY ????

Back in 1972, when THIS video-clip, below, was being filmed, Paul Kossoff was going or starting thru heavy drug (heroin), addiction.

From memory, the "Heartbreaker" album/L.P was actually released the followiing year, 1973

I was only a kid at the time, yet, bought it, having heard & liked the track (& subsequent 45rpm single), "Wishing Well".

I'd both liked & really enjoyed the track (& single, again), called "Little Bit of Love" - Far too criminally short, at just over 2-mins.

Anyways, back to "Heartbreaker", both the Title-track (featured video, BELOW), & the album itself

This rather BRILLIANT live perfomance (albeit, a li'l fuzzy), was filmed in Japan, on 22nd July 1972.

Paul Rodgers at this time still had that LOVELY "Raw Edge" to his voice & his Fender Stratocaster has a wonderful tone, too.

Personally, THIS is one of my favourite music-videos (actual film, not poncy promotional TV crap), of all time.

End gets a li'l ragged (w/John Bundrick), but hey, who cares - It still sounds SO masterful to me - Filmographic GOLD in my book

22nd July 1972 & By God, I wish I could be there, to see it - That plain-jane Rosewood-neck Stratocaster sounds superb, as do the band

Quote Originally Posted by Hornchurch View Post
    '

Man, that was COOL. I hadn't seen this one yet! Thanks for posting!