Thread: Tele pickups.....

Forum Member

Tele pickups.....

Last year, I parted together a decent Tele from spare parts, and dropped in brand new Fender "Vintage" Tele pickups. Today, I won a brand new Fender Special Edition Deluxe Ash Tele (MIM) on Ebay, with "Hot Standard" pickups installed. I'm selling the 1st guitar, and keeping this 2nd one. I'm just curious---which pickups would you guys keep? The new "Vintage" ones register 7.2K and 6.8K on my meter, and sound pretty good. How good might these MIM pickups be in comparison? Yep, I'll be checking em with my meter, and my ears. Thanks in advance!

Re: Tele pickups.....

I'd probably use the set out of the first Tele, as they're closer to old school. I'll bet the ones in the new MIM are ceramic bar magnets. Not bad, but not usually what I like. Use your ears and use the set that sounds and works best for you.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I'd probably use the set out of the first Tele, as they're closer to old school. I'll bet the ones in the new MIM are ceramic bar magnets. Not bad, but not usually what I like. Use your ears and use the set that sounds and works best for you.
    +1

Forum Member

Yep, now I see the MIM has ceramics, and the Fender "Vintage" ones are Alnicos, which is what I'll stick with. Thanks, chuck!

And Rock On
    We can only pray for peace.

Forum Member

Wise choice. I've got the "Original Vintage" set in my Butterscotch Tele and they are my favorite set.

Forum Member

I just bought that same MIM with the hot standards and was going to change them to Ro Grande, but after playing them, they sound perfectly fine to me, so I’m gonna keep em