Thread: Strat PIck-UP - Glassy Please

Forum Member

Strat PIck-UP - Glassy Please

I have Fralin vintage hots in my home brew strat. - I also have an American Deluxe from 2008, love those SCN PUs - What can I put in my home brew that would go beyond the SCNs that are in the American Deluxe as far as that glassy tone?
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

Forum Member

Re: Strat PIck-UP - Glassy Please

Well, just completed my tweed champ with ceramic 12" speaker in a 5E3 cab, never mind. there is so much detail in the tone Im going to re-cap the guitar to give me more roll off.
    P e a c e KYC

So the answer was in the amp, not the guitar?
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Forum Member

Slowly gathering experience - 4 amps, 4 guitars.. all different. Beginning to understand there is no "answer", just dialogue.

Until I built my 5F1 and put a 12" Jensen C12Q in it (from my Mission 5E3 build) I always felt that those pick ups were a bit dark. Vox AC15C1 in the house too. That thing is crazy bright too.
    P e a c e KYC

KYChucky, before finishing reading your opening post my mind went to Super Reverb or Twin Reverb. So yes, it is a learning experience and I'm on the journey as well! To me "glassy" translates to clarity, complex overtones and depth.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Quote Originally Posted by TT100 View Post
    KYChucky, before finishing reading your opening post my mind went to Super Reverb or Twin Reverb. So yes, it is a learning experience and I'm on the journey as well! To me "glassy" translates to clarity, complex overtones and depth.

TT
    In other words, the amp, and the clean headroom it has.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by TT100 View Post

TT
    In other words, the amp, and the clean headroom it has.

The round bottom, tinkle on the highs and honk-free mids are in the amp.

Our guitars only make electronic signals.

What we hear comes out of the speaker. You can have the best signal in the world but it will always be at the mercy of how you turn it into sound.

Oh, the money and time I wasted until I figured that out.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Several years ago I put an EV Force 10 into a '68 Princeton Reverb as recommended by my amp tech. It was LOUD, but all the "sparkle", "glass", "twang", "tinkle on the highs" or whatever you want to call it was gone! It was easily remedied by putting the original speaker back in.
    Turns out his idea of good tone and mine were very different.

Don't know about about the amp thing as I play through a '65 BFPR w/ a 12" Jensen P12N RI spkr. I also have Fralin's V Hots, Blues, P-92"s & just got a set of Real 54's. They are definitely glassier sounding. Moreso than the VH's. I put them in an Alder/Maple '57 RI Strat. I got a decent deal on them & I'm still in the evaluating period, but as I get older, my hearing tends to lean more towards brighter sounding p-ups that are low-wind....

If the problem isn't w/ your amp, you might try some of RHFactor's Strat Pickups, since they are relatively inexpensive compared to Fralins. I've bought a few sets. Not quite as powerful as Lindy's or Van Zandts, sounds but they sound darn good. Currently digging his Jimi set.

this ain't me...