Thread: Volume pot no workee

Volume pot no workee

here's the wiring diagram I used

how I wired it, step by step

soldered caps to pots, put insulation on leg of chiclet cap on first tone pot after alerted to the situation. Tone pots work fine, BTW:

grounded the pots:

connected volume pot to selector switch

connected first tone pot to switch at neck and jumpered to middle pickup:

connected second tone pot to switch at bridge:

connected grounds to volume pot:

connected pickup hots to switch:

ready for hot from output jack:

and last but not least, the hot (white) from the output jack connected to volume pot:

The volume pot was a previously used pot, as I bought a complete pickup assembly as a kit from a classifieds ad on which forum I don't recall.

There is no reduction in volume, maybe a slight change in treble. Other than that the switch works, the pickups work, and the tone knobs work as expected. I just can't control the volume.

Re: Volume pot no workee

Ground the other leg of the volume pot.

D'oh !

I didn't see it in the diagram at first. After about 3 other places said the same thing you did, I looked at the drawing again and saw what I missed.

Going to finish the set up, then take the pick guard off to fix that and then restring it with fresh new strings. I can't wait. It already sounds pretty good.

Also,the middle tone cap lead appears to be touching the ground pot casing rendering it useless.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Also,the middle tone cap lead appears to be touching the pot casing (ground) rendering it useless. I generally put a piece of shrink-wrap on that side of the cap, or you can just pull some insulation off of a scrap piece of wiring and slide it over the lead.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim