Thread: The Fender Bandmaster VM

Forum Member

The Fender Bandmaster VM

Hey guys, sorry for bothering you again!

I came across the vm series a couple weeks ago. To me it's like the VM series (Bandmaster) gives you the best of both worlds. I don't care much for all the extra effects, as i rather use pedals. I read on other forums this amp fitts that mindset perfectly. People were surprisingly positive about the clean and drive sound it has. I am a student, and I am on a budget.

I can pick this badboy up for 500 euros. Does any1 here has any experience with the bandmaster vm, or one of their vm products at all? Also when testing a tube amp, what are things to look for?

Thanks in advance,

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: The Fender Bandmaster VM

I tried one out in a store when they were first released. With the volume control about halfway up the cheap-ass velcro'd-on grill frame fell off! The snot-picking sales associate nearby accused me of breaking the damn thing. Ultimately these "vintage molested" amps bear no resemblance whatsoever to their original namesakes (the legendary Deluxe Reverb and the venerable Bandmaster). Neither of them sound remotely close to any true blackface Fender and they lasted just about as long in Fender's catalog as the equally-miserable Machete -- less than two years.

Bottom line......?

An unmitigated sack of crap.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Hell, Roger -- quit dicking around and tell him how you really feel..

I had the same experience a Roger with the Vintage Molested Series. The thing is built like garbage and is nothing like the originals they borrow their names from. I originally had high hopes for them but they were all a disappointment.

Forum Member

Once again thanks for the input guys. Is there a list of amps or one in particular that is not overly priced, which can give me that bluesy ish/soul sound. I'm looking for an amp with a really nice clean channel and want my pedals to do the rest of the work. Also i want to be able to play distorted not like metal but the amp should be able to handle some rock.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Find yourself a pre-2005 Deluxe Reverb re-issue.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I tried one out in a store when they were first released. With the volume control about halfway up the cheap-ass velcro'd-on grill frame fell off! The snot-picking sales associate nearby accused me of breaking the damn thing. Ultimately these "vintage molested" amps bear no resemblance whatsoever to their original namesakes (the legendary Deluxe Reverb and the venerable Bandmaster). Neither of them sound remotely close to any true blackface Fender and they lasted just about as long in Fender's catalog as the equally-miserable Machete -- less than two years.

Bottom line......?

An unmitigated sack of crap.
    Vintage Molested?!!!

I see a perfect platform for a hand-wired circuit transplant.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Find yourself a pre-2005 Deluxe Reverb re-issue.
    That'll likely run him over $600...and it's a reissue.

I think for about $650 he could have one of the Custom '68 Princeton Reverbs (a kind of silverface reissue - very nice and versatile).

Or - for about 5 C-notes, if you search for a good deal - a pristine new Vox AC15 could be yours - it's got 'verb and tremolo and can hold its own against a DRRI until the volume gets very wound up.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

I have a deluxe vm. For $400.U.S mine sounds fine and i like the onboard effects and it doesn't weigh too much for being a 40 watt 12" speaker combo amp. I can get a good blues sound dialed in and the clean channel sounds great too. It even has that cool tube sound if i set the knobs just right and attack the strings just right. It may not be or replicate a "true vintage amp" but it didn't cost $800. to $1000. plus either. If i ever become a tone snob i will set it on fire so no one else will suffer its poor tone and go get me a $3000 original 65 deluxe reverb amp. If you like it and gotta have it don't pay any more than $400 for it.
    Last edited by Trav-ler; 10-22-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks for the tip. Nothing wrong with a "bargain". I played an outdoor festival/benefit in New Jersey once. There were 8 bands, and everyone was told to show early so ALL bands could set up. There were 8 drumkits acrossthe back and alll were mic'ed and ready to go. I had a Peavey Butcher half stack at the time. All the Fender/MarshallMesa/Sundown/etc made fun of my Peavey. We played second. In between us and the first band, there was a torrential downpour. Everything was covered up as best as they could and we played our set without issue. As I came off the stage, all kinds of compliments on the guitar tone..... Then, one by one they noticed that my "doesn't even deserve to be in the pictures" Peavey was one of the few amps that still worked. A Peavey that works will beat a Soldano that doesn't work every time. I never look down on anyone's gear....ever!!!!
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash