Thread: road worn strats

Forum Member

road worn strats

what is the general consensus?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: road worn strats

Cookie-cutter relic. Not very convincing.

They play and sound well though.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I've heard people say they really love them.

The same shaping and placing of the relic-ing always turned me off. Really a pity they didn't figure out a way to give each one a unique relic-ing.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

If "road worn" means "artificially relic'd"...

To each his own.

I love the looks of a REAL road worn guitar, I mean, as long as the dings and scratches are NATURAL. Musical instruments get scarred and old, just like our own bodies. I ain't the same man I used to be 20 years ago.

If I want a scarred guitar, which I qctually find beautiful, I buy used. Historic or not. Buying a reliced guitar would make me feel kinda like a fake Rolex owner. I mean, I know that the "road worn" Fenders are awesome guitars, the custom shop ones are made by master builders, but they are not real historics. So why not buy the same awesome guitars, made by the same big bosses... looking brand new?

I take care of my guitars, new and used. In my mind (and I mean no disrespect to those who like relic jobs!), artificially aging a guitar is like a 18 year old kid inflicting scars into his own skin and drinking too much or painting his hair grey in order to look older.

I always wear a tee shirt over my belt when I play, and if I have to put on a button up shirt, I put it on the tee and leave it unbuttoned, so the buttons won't mark the back of the guitar. That's just me.

An instrument that's seen the road and shows signs of good use is a thing of beauty to me. My two strats are entirely different. One is over 20 years old, I bought it used, and it is quite a scarred guitar, and the other is a 2013 American Standard I bought new at a music shop and has not a single flaw. I love both equally, and play both with equal care.

I won't hurt a musical instrument whether it's mine or not, but the normal little damages it suffers throughout gigs and sessions are entirely welcome. Nor would I pay a dime more for a good guitar that has been intentionally distressed just to look like something it just ain't: old and used.

To me, the best way to "relic" a guitar is to play the damn thing throughout your miserable lifetime, and tell your son and grandson to do the same. Then it'll probably be... A relic.

One thing is often forgotten: those now iconic 50s, 60s and 70s guitars were nothing more back then than what your brand new 2015 gibson or fender is today, a good guitar (or bad). This artificiallly "old" guitar fetish just doesn't suit me.

Man, I would feel the same way about a relic I hadn't naturally relic-d. But I understand that people have different tastes, and it's cool.

I don't mean to put down anyone's guitar.

I don't mind the few dings my guitars have, though I wish they could be pristine forever. Having always had a belly, none of mine has buckle rash.. ha ha ha
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Can't agree with all the no on this. I have a friend who has two, one is stock the other has had pups changed, and a few minor changes (pickguard, callaham block), and been tweaked to taste (fret dress, setup, etc.).

Maybe he lucked out, but both are great instruments, and the necks feel like they are old friends.

I have a Roadworn Jazz, and honestly, its still No.1 with me. the neck is like that one pair of jeans you always pick first from the closet
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Man, I would feel the same way about a relic I hadn't naturally relic-d. But I understand that people have different tastes, and it's cool.

I don't mean to put down anyone's guitar.

I don't mind the few dings my guitars have, though I wish they could be pristine forever. Having always had a belly, none of mine has buckle rash.. ha ha ha
    Oh, neither did I! I was just explaining how I feel about it...

Forum Member

Thanks for all the replys.
    I'm curious about them for a few reasons:
    1 - They are reasonably priced.
    2- Thin nitro finish. from the few I've handled, acoustically they vibrate A LOT. Actually felt like a vintage instrument.
    Unfortunately they are all dinged up the same...

Do you guys know if there is any difference between the years of manufacture, Pros or cons in materials ect ?

If not this model, what would be best for thin nitro finish, large frets, and the fattest neck possible?

Quote Originally Posted by de Melo View Post
    Oh, neither did I! I was just explaining how I feel about it...
    Sorry if it seemed I was implying. No, I just feel bad talking badly about a guitar that someone else might love. It wasn't a comment on your post, friend of mine. ':)

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    No, I just feel bad talking badly about a guitar that someone else might love. It wasn't a comment on your post, friend of mine. ':)
    Jesus, we're further gone than I thought!

The gentleman solicits opinions about the "general consensus" and you feel guilty about offering yours?

Political correctness will suborn the death of reasoned, independent thought in this country.

Well, dammit, Rog, you're right when you're right. I hate those diamond shaped paint chips on the road worns. It's like adding a notch to your bedpost for a love doll.

Are you happy now that you've seen the critic beast in me come out?

Ha ha ha ha

Forum Member

Do you guys know if there is any difference between the years of manufacture, Pros or cons in materials ect ?

If not this model, what would be best for thin nitro finish, large frets, and the fattest neck possible?

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Jesus, we're further gone than I thought!

The gentleman solicits opinions about the "general consensus" and you feel guilty about offering yours?

Political correctness will suborn the death of reasoned, independent thought in this country.

+100,000..lol

Quote Originally Posted by jhmp View Post

I myself couldn't tell for sure, but those sure are very good guitars, that's for sure. There may be differences, year to year, but they are in no possible way bad guitars.

I think that these, like any other model, are case by case - you should check them out, and find the one that talks to you.

If you understand its dialect, that is what matters, don't' get one to suit someone else s opinion.

You might find that you dont' like the feel or sound. If you like the feel, sound will be fairly easy to adjust.

Used ones are the way to go......if you can find one.

I can't help but laugh..... They all look the same on the rack, the same wear, the same pattern......
    you know....... like a rack of sunburst strats with white pickguards and rosewood necks would.
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

Looks wise they are laughable, but the majority of vintage strats that were worn to this degree usually have evidence of old magic marker cover ups, shoe polish, ect...
    The looks I could care less about, the road worn ones I have been able to play resonated a lot. Thats what I'm interested in, one that is already open and dont have to wait 7 years for it to start coming alive. Thin nitro is important.
    Thanks everyone

Thin nitro is important.
    If that be the case, why not look into this model......?

http://www.fender.com/guitars/strato...0.html#start=1

Vintage specs, nitro finish, no waiting, and it doesn't look like a piece of driftwood that washed ashore after a tsunami.

Spec wise I think they are just about the same instrument, minus the relic treatment.

That is why I went that route in the Jazz Bass Dept.

That said - the neck on the roadworn has "It" while the 60s Lacquer is Nice - but sans "It" for me.
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

sweet, I didn't know that one was out there. With over 75 strats to choose from you about need a translator to figure this stuff out.

Forum Member

There must be some big differences between these two models. Why would the Classic series, which seems nicer, come w/ a tweed case while the road worn is in a bag? Pick ups are the only thing I could find, but that can't cost that much? Both are made in mexico, they seem to be the same except for the finish work. Whats the deal?

There must be some big differences between these two models. Why would the Classic series, which seems nicer, come w/ a tweed case while the road worn is in a bag? Pick ups are the only thing I could find, but that can't cost that much? Both are made in mexico, they seem to be the same except for the finish work. Whats the deal?
    Not sure on the strat -
    What I did find on the J Bass is -

Yes - 60s classic came with tweed case while RW came with gigbag
    yep - same pups, different part number because this model is aged, same goes for the hardware

I can't remember which one is which but I think different primer before nitro finish coat

specs are really close-
    I ended up getting 20% off on mine
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

Thanks Frank

Forum Member

"I can't remember which one is which but I think different primer before nitro finish coat"

interesting, It would be nice to know the real difference. ???

Everyone's opinion is their own and they're entitled to it, but to me the modern water-based "nitro" finishes (a Sherwin Williams product) bear little to no resemblance to the nitro finishes of old. But I don't think that really makes any difference anyway.

I have 2 nice Strats that I've culled from the pool over the last 40 years. Both are poly, and both sound great. I've had nitro dogs just as much as poly dogs.

For me, it seems that about 1 in every 10 guitars I play has "it", and there's no common variable I can point to.

I will say that Les Pauls are a lot more consistent than Strats or Teles. IMHO and experience - the difference between an average Lester to a great one is a lot smaller than the same for a Stratocaster.

YMMV, IMHO, WTF, ... Peace and Love.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by de Melo View Post
    If "road worn" means "artificially relic'd"...

One thing is often forgotten: those now iconic 50s, 60s and 70s guitars were nothing more back then than what your brand new 2015 gibson or fender is today, a good guitar (or bad). This artificiallly "old" guitar fetish just doesn't suit me.
    +1

I've thought the same thing. Clapton's LP during the Bluesbreakers era was nothing more than a second hand 7 or 8 year old LP. An expensive guitar even then but nothing that was revered at the time. His Blackie Strat was a partscaster!

I've read several stories about Jimi walking into Manny's, at one of Fenders' lower points in history, and playing through their stock of new Strats and buying those he liked.

Guitars were tools to these guys. They weren't out to set any trends with beat up guitars that's just what happened to them over the years. I see this 'wear' over time as history of the guitar and player. The guitar 'earned' that wear through use. The player put that wear there. That wear is a badge of honor when acquired properly. When it's fake what's the point?

I think guitar players have it much better now than we ever had in the past. Worshiping something simply because it' s old and beat up? No, I don't get it either. Ask a collector what guitar to buy and he'll tell to get the nicest example you can find of the guitar you are looking for.
    Last edited by DanD; 10-23-2015 at 08:23 PM.

Though it's not my thing, I have nothing against a nicely aged guitar (though those are few and far between). My main reason for not liking them for myself is similar to what DanD said.

I have my grandfather's old mandolin and you can see where his hand wore the finish off the back of the neck in spots. On my 1959 ES-225 you can see that a previous owner played all the way up to the 10th fret regularly. On my USACG T-Style you can see where my bad habit of anchoring my pinky to the guitar has worn through the finish and deeply into the wood on the treble side of the bridge.

That history would be lost on an aged guitar.

In the end, it's all about playability and tone, right? If I found a great guitar, and it was aged, Id buy it.
    Last edited by Don; 10-24-2015 at 05:13 AM.

I had one for several years. I got it after playing one in a music store. As soon as I wrapped my hand around the neck, I knew I had to have it. It played so wonderfully, it was hard to put down. I kept it next to my bed and when I got up, it went by my chair. The way it sounded probably had very little to the way it looked, yes it looked like every other road worn white strat with rosewood fingerboad but it was the only one at my house so that was cool. The way it felt when I played was what was so unique. The paint and worn neck made it feel like old favorite jeans. Did I wear it to that stage? NO, but it didn't matter, the total package was well worth the price of admission. I don't care what it looks like, it's what it feels like and sounds like that is most important. It made me want to play more and for that I would tell anybody if they have a chance to buy one, do it. You're welcome.

if you actually play these guitars they get dirt rubbed in them and they start to look a lot more like it's all you. if you want the guitar to look properly beat up that's expensive so pony up.

these guitars are light, sound good and play well. no it would not be my first choice but that's because these days I'm into harder wearing finishes like well done poly, v2, etc.

not sure why so many people seem to have an existential need to add nothing to threads about reliced guitars other than to reiterate they would never buy one.

So the way around it is to buy a used one! Let REAL wear WEAR OVER the Roadworn!
    Real time and wear added really makes a difference IMO, here's the '08 I just scored..and it is a keeper.The thin nitro really makes it feel alive in your hands and against your body..neck feels great too! Someone played the hell out of it, and it feels awesome..and I am a relic hater!...this one has got me scratching my head, as it goes against what I usually go for..I am just treating it like I would any ragged used guitar, will replace/replaced offending parts (the guard for one), and polished the body..adds to the realism I think.

I have buffed mine out, and installed a 57RI guard.(that alone made a HUGE visual difference).and will throw a Luxe phonebook cap in there and call it good.

Not bad for some trade-ins..NO out of pocket expense, so I say it was worth it!

Schweet.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.