Thread: New "Japanese" Klones and other clone news.

New "Japanese" Klones and other clone news.

Possibly Japanese that is.. Ie, Suzuki.

http://www.suzukimusic.co.uk/GUITAR/...ic-guitars.htm

Anyone have any usage or opinions on [any of] these? I remember the Old Suzy accoustic as being "variable" in quality.

I expect they're actually Korean/Taiwanese/Chinese, but, maybe have Jap QC,and am hoping they turn out to be like Yamahas overall level of quality.

I'm actually waiting for Kawasaki to bring out the Z1 version so I can tinker with some Yoshimura pickups and K and N capacitors.

In other (older) news Behringer may worry Squier,or not?.

http://www.behringer.com/02_products...-Pack&lang=eng

Forum Member
    I have never seen those in Japan and at the prices they go for, my guess is made in China or someplace where they could be made even cheaper. Not always a bad thing except you`d probably have to change all the hardware. I`d go for one if they threw in the girl.

At the risk of starting a feud, I have been somewhat underwhelmed with the Japanese guitars. Many of the MIJ Fenders I've played have been really well made but have been constructed from some unusual woods and often the p'ups used are of somewhat dubious heritage. They make an awesome looking product but for my money, haven't yet figured out how to put the "feel" into their guitars. I work for 2 motorcycle magazines and frequently test ride bikes looking for the some of the same "qualities" as one might seek in guitars. I find most Hondas to very "appliance-like" in their appearance and road feel. I find many MIJ guitars to be the same way. I'm sure there are exceptions, there always are, but for the most part, the orient has mastered making great looking guitars but have not yet mastered the subtle issues of "vibe" and "feel". No flames intended here. I know this can be a sensitive issue with some. But this has been my experience.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member
    I like the 80`s Fender Japans. Plus, you guys don`t get to see many of the domestic models, I once read that they exported basswood guitars, but the 80`s FJ`s I have are alder, ash or walnut. Ride one of those motorcycles over to Japan and have a look see.
    One more thing.... there are a bunch of makers here you guys don`t know about, though the names are familiar... like Van Zandt, Seymour Duncan, Joe Barden, Sadowsky, and others who have their own line of guitars over here. They are the reason I haven`t bought an MIA guitar for quite a while.
    Last edited by sneaky; 09-25-2003 at 06:51 AM.
    shoganai ne

Well

Tele-Bob I'm very happy Honda don't make guitars, i'll tell you. I've ridden a few and they can be"soul-less"[in general],but, I'm still hanging on for the "Z1/GPZ" of clones :) .

I admire fine craftsmanship (not suggesting that the Suzuki Guitars are particularly) which ever country it was assembled/luthiered in.

One of my first "pinups" was an Indian Scout,by the way and I still love the Indian Motorcyle co's 'antique' products.

Just really wondering if the Suzy guitars may reach the heights of the Yamaha Sg1000 (etc) one day or even develop the popularity of the Pacifica?.

Sneaky,yeah that's a fine lookin rock chick :tw59

I realise there are some quite fine "American" makes which we don't get to see here Such as Agile,Ratfink and other sub-brands,etc, we also have one or two here which you don't get over there such as Harley Benton and Vintage which are good.

FTR I have one Nashville made gtr,2 Korean, one Indonesian and one Taiwanese. yes I know "Nashvilles" ain't great for QC anyway (not sure i'd like to go discuss that brand name just now) but one of the Koreans and the Taiwanese approach the "Nashville" for build and material,the Indonesian beats it for finish and all the other electrics beat it,uh electrically.

Can't dislike the thing though!

Those Lace Huntingtons look good for the price too.

Cheers.

I'll put my Bacchus BG Tele up against ANY FCS Tele Replica.