Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The TV show and Movie Thread

Re: The TV show and Movie Thread

All us rez kids used go to the trading post [was still used in the late 50s] and watch the B&W semi-round screen TV. My favorite was Have Gun Will Travel staring Richard Boone. Paladin was one of my childhood heros. Now I own the entire 7 seasons on DVD.Today I did Season One here while the heat index outside was 106°F. But my shack was only 86° until an hour ago. As a boy I learned much from that series. I still learn in replays today. Thanks Mr. Boone! I owe you much.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

I just watched the carpool special with Paul McCartney--such a sweet show. Makes me like Macca even more.

Also watched the Lynyrd Skynyrd documentary If I Leave Here Tomorrow. As I was growing up in the 70s, they were a band that meant something to me, but I got tired of playing Skynyrd--the redneck attitude just wasn't me. But if you strip away the guys who scream for Freebird at every fucking gig you play and you forget about the extreme rednecks who want to see the South rise again, Skynyrd was a great band with great songs. My band does Gimme Three Steps and Simple Man, not my fave Skynyrd songs, but people like them. I could live the rest of my life without having to hear Sweet Home Alabama, but Skynryd was much much more than that. The Street Survivors album is as good as any rock album out there, the songs excellently written and performed.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Just did a back to back Wyatt Earp mini marathon. Tombstone, then Wyatt Earp. The second film with Kevin Costner, did manage to portray some of his dark side. Yet in reality Wyatt Earp was a harsh and brutal lawman that paid little attention to the law as it was written. He and his brothers ran gambling halls where the games were rigged and people were cheated regularly. All four of the older Earp brothers operated brothels and ran prostitutes in the many cities they passed through. They operated as lawmen with the badge as a shield from prosecution for the most part. With the powers of arrest on their side, few challenges were ever made as some were either badly beaten or severely injured "resisting arrest". Oddly enough, John "Doc" Holliday was probably the most honest man amongst the entire lot!
    Though neither film were genuine in their contents, they were however, entertaining.

"I'm your huckle bearer." A term that was missed in the movie. It wasn't "huckleberry". Huckles were the handles of a casket. A huckle bearer was the same as a pall bearer. Holliday was once heard to express that quoted saying to a man that spoke in anger to him in public. The anger ceased as the meaning of Holliday's words took effect. An apology was quickly made.
    Yup, movies do take a lot of liberties with the truth huh?
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Interesting stuff, Old Ranger. I like learning things like that.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Waiting for this to air, next tuesday:

Began watching this with the GF last night. Definitely worth the popcorn!

Don't let the fact that it's an animated sitcom fool you, this is for real adults (and I dare say, not for millenials ). Watch the first 2 episodes and you'll be addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Began watching this with the GF last night. Definitely worth the popcorn!

Don't let the fact that it's an animated sitcom fool you, this is for real adults (and I dare say, not for millenials ). Watch the first 2 episodes and you'll be addicted.
    I require additional context on your millenials comment.

Also there have been cartoon tv shows for adults since the 1960s, and of course Disney was as much targeted adults as children in the golden era (Snow White through Dumbo), so not sure what your point is.

BTW I like how I first posted in this thread in 2015 calling a show the best program on TV and here we are in 2018 and it's still true.

Also Hostiles is the best movie released in the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    I require additional context on your millenials comment.

Also there have been cartoon tv shows for adults since the 1960s, and of course Disney was as much targeted adults as children in the golden era (Snow White through Dumbo), so not sure what your point is.
    And I decline your requirement, as I was clear enough. Now, is it my impression or do I annoy you particularly?

I'm having a good time watching Yellowstone with my wife on Paramount channel.

Great show!

@Laker, have you seen this documentary?

My old man saw it on Netflix (he is deeply into Vietnam war) and said he liked it a lot.

I'd like to hear your opinion.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/home/

Sergio, I just realized I never responded to your question about this Ken Burns documentary so, yes, I have the Series on DVD.

Some of my fave books and films have connections to the war:

Apocalypse Now--I watch the directors cut when i watch it, and it's worth it. In my top 10 fave dramatic films.

In Country, a book by Kentuckian Bobbie Ann Mason

Michael Herr, Dispatches

Tim O'Brien, The Things They Carried

John Irving, Cider House Rules

Full Metal Jacket

The Fourth of July

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Some of my fave books and films have connections to the war:
    Check out "Go Tell The Spartans" (the director's cut) starring Burt Lancaster and Craig Wasson if you get a chance.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Check out "Go Tell The Spartans" (the director's cut) starring Burt Lancaster and Craig Wasson if you get a chance.
    Wow, I haven't even thought of that movie in decades. It's been so long ago that I can only remember vague things about it. I need to watch that again. Thanks for that reminder.

I'm psyching myself up for Get Back, Peter Jackson's six hour revisionist miniseries built around the 60 hours of footage shot for what became Let It Be which will debut next week on Thanksgiving day.

This "The Beatles Naked" podcast goes into copious detail on everything that was wrong with the original Let It Be film -- and they're spot on. I can't wait to replace my murky forty year old VHS copy (which I scanned onto DVD-R about a decade ago) when it's released to accompany the Blu-Ray release of Get Back (presumably) next year.

I have bought the Get Back book and the super deluxe Let It Be album and cd sets. So, I'm a litttttttle bit excited too. And when the blu ray of the film comes out, I'll have to do some overtime.

I just subscribed to Disney channel to watch Get Back next 25th! Can’t wait!

Btw Apple is working with Scorsese on a Grateful Dead doc.

i will eventually subscribe and watch it but probably not until the full dead of winter, maybe next year. do not want any more subscriptions eating a hole in my pocket than i already have.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Wow, I haven't even thought of that movie in decades. It's been so long ago that I can only remember vague things about it. I need to watch that again. Thanks for that reminder.
    Another movie with eerie parallels to the 'unpleasantries' that would ultimately occur in southeast Asia is "The Ugly American", one of Brando's more underrated films.

Another movie with eerie parallels to the 'unpleasantries' that would ultimately occur in southeast Asia is "The Ugly American", one of Brando's more underrated films.

i haven’t seen it but will. I love Brando when he’s good.

I started watching 1883, the Yellowstone prequel. Except for a couple of historical mistakes, excellent. And it’s always pleasant to see Sam Elliott working.

Btw @phantomman if you haven’t seen Yellowstone yet, I think you’ll like it.

Btw @phantomman if you haven’t seen Yellowstone yet, I think you’ll like it.
    I gave it a look-see when it premiered a couple of years ago but I'm just not a big Costner fan.

I just finished binge-watching all nine seasons of "24". Working on "Homeland" now......

I gave it a look-see when it premiered a couple of years ago but I'm just not a big Costner fan.

I just finished binge-watching all nine seasons of "24". Working on "Homeland" now......

I think you should give it another try. I’m not much of a Costner guy myself but the sum of the parts in that show is just great. The gunfights are especially realistic, and I recommend you pay attention to Kayce’s performance with Glocks and 1911-like pistols in shootings. Smashing!

TFF Stage Crew

Just started this one, Eric Clapton: Standing at the Crossroads

Been having some good times watching “The Ranch”. Sam Elliot is always great. Lighthearted humor is good for stressful times.

Also, I was pleased to see in the news that “The Winchesters”, the Supernatural prequel created by Jensen Ackles, already has a pilot episode.

Started watching CBS's 1987-1989 "Tour Of Duty" last night. Sure brings back some memories......

Started watching CBS's 1987-1989 "Tour Of Duty" last night. Sure brings back some memories......

I’m not sure you read my previous post addressed to you, above. But knowing you, I think if you give Yellowstone another try you’ll like it a lot.

Just started watching “The old man”, with Jeff Bridges, on Star +

Very nice show.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    Just started watching “The old man”, with Jeff Bridges, on Star +

Very nice show.
    I was pleasantly surprised, overall. Not a perfect program, but far better than a lot of the current offerings.

Somehow, I wound up starting the Netflix series, "In The Dark." There are four seasons, but I kind of think it went off the rails after the first season. But I'm still watching, midway through Season 3. The main character is a blind woman. If I had to categorize the cast, I'd say they are all people with dysfunctions. The protagonist (the blind woman) is self-destructive and manipulative. Surrounding her are the whackiest characters, each deeply flawed. This is sort of like watching a comedic train wreck. It's not technically a comedy, but there are comedic points. At times, I feel this is a show directed to and intended for people younger than myself. Whether this is true or not I don't know. I watch it, but frequently with my eyes and mouth gaping open.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!