Thread: Hot pepper crop is slowly ripening

Hot pepper crop is slowly ripening

I was gifted 3 plants in July, hybrids of thai, jalapeno, scorpion and reaper. They flourished and I've been picking the red ripened pods for a couple weeks now. They grow in a lot of different sizes and shapes. Ate my first one tonight, a wee little thing smaller than my pinky fingernail.

Good gravy, it was hot. Yes, I ate it seeds and all, and I knew it would be. Still slightly surprised. Luckily, all it took to douse the flames was an Oreo.

I think I'm going to dry them and grind them into powder for seasoning. Unless I'm making a lot of chili or soups, I doubt if there's anything I'm going to garnish with them directly.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Hot pepper crop is slowly ripening

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    hybrids of thai, jalapeno, scorpion and reaper.
    That sounds most like rubber glove-wearing handling!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

At my age jalapeños are my limit.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Datils are no problem raw. Depending upon mood, that can go to Orange Habaneros raw. Above that it can only be a sauce. Not tackling it raw.
    Jalapeños raw are like candy to me LOL
    Mark

During an R&R to Bangkok my buddy and I had some roasted peppers with a meal. Literally an inferno. He called them "napalm on a stick" but they were more lethal than that......more like thermo-nuclear!

morphology of the pods is leaning more towards jalapeno/thai end of the spectrum, none look like the reaper/scorpion shriveled scrotum style. But yes, glove handling for sure. You would not want to rub your eyes and/or nose, and especially not use the bathroom. Once, I got some hot sauce called Jersey Death (PSA-don't buy that stuff) on my finger. Washed my hands. Went to the bathroom. About 10 minutes later, started feeling a burn down there. Got quite uncomfortable for about 90 minutes. Since then, I've either used gloves or scrubbed like for surgery and used sugar with the soap.

I'm thinking one of the bigger pods in a pot of chili would work fantastic. I'm not trying to recreate El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer (The Mysterious Voyage of Homer) so only one pod, LOL

As a prudent precaution you might keep the paramedics on speed-dial.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    During an R&R to Bangkok my buddy and I had some roasted peppers with a meal. Literally an inferno. He called them "napalm on a stick" but they were more lethal than that......more like thermo-nuclear!

Brazilians, especially Northerners, love pepper roughly as much as Mexicans.

I went to a pretty nice Thai restaurant once and they warned me that I’d probably find the “standard” sauces too hot, and that I should probably place a special order regarding the pepper.

I told them to give me whatever was in the original recipes, and so they did. I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post

My first introduction to Thai peppers wasn't really *my* introduction: My dad had just been stationed to Bangkok, and while our home was being readied we stayed at the Erawan Hotel. On one of our first nights there, we went to the restaurant, where in front of every place setting was a small dish/bowl of sliced peppers in brine.

A young couple with an infant was seated at the table next to us, and we noticed at one point the tyke reached into the dish, probably thinking it was candy, and put a handful of peppers in his mouth.

The screams and shrieks emitted from that little one gave me fair warning to tread carefully.

I love peppers. But I'll sample, first. :)
    Striving to be ordinary

I used most of my crop this year to try some fermented hot sauce.
    I kinda wish I wrote down the details, but used a mix of peppers; Habanero, jalapeno and cayenne, with one or two other random ones - anaheim and thai. Chopped in a blender with a small handful of garlic cloves to roughly salsa size. Into a glass jar with a couple tablespoons of salt and apple cider vinegar to just cover.
    |Let sit for a couple weeks, then blend down fine.
    I was surprised how good it is. Just enough heat that it kicks you for a minute, but fades back down - it doesn't linger for hours on end. Good flavor from the habs and garlic.
    |I'm prepping for my next batch.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    I used most of my crop this year to try some fermented hot sauce.
    I kinda wish I wrote down the details, but used a mix of peppers; Habanero, jalapeno and cayenne, with one or two other random ones - anaheim and thai. Chopped in a blender with a small handful of garlic cloves to roughly salsa size. Into a glass jar with a couple tablespoons of salt and apple cider vinegar to just cover.
    |Let sit for a couple weeks, then blend down fine.
    I was surprised how good it is. Just enough heat that it kicks you for a minute, but fades back down - it doesn't linger for hours on end. Good flavor from the habs and garlic.
    |I'm prepping for my next batch.
    do you use the whole peppers, seeds and all? Tablespoon of salt? How big a batch was it?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    do you use the whole peppers, seeds and all? Tablespoon of salt? How big a batch was it?
    Seeds and all - I just trimmed off the stems. I used a tablespoon of salt for every 6oz or so peppers. I ended up with about a pint of sauce. about 6 habs, about same amount of jalapenos, 3 or 4 cayenne, plus the garlic.

Seeds and all - I just trimmed off the stems. I used a tablespoon of salt for every 6oz or so peppers. I ended up with about a pint of sauce. about 6 habs, about same amount of jalapenos, 3 or 4 cayenne, plus the garlic.
    Most of the fire in a pepper is contained in the seeds. I use a lot of peppers in the cooking I do, and when I read recipes, they invariably state, "For less heat, remove the seeds."
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Most of the fire in a pepper is contained in the seeds. I use a lot of peppers in the cooking I do, and when I read recipes, they invariably state, "For less heat, remove the seeds."
    agreed there. The seeds and the ribs inside. Some peppers, when you cut them open, you see yellow - orange droplets - that's the capsacin, the spicy bit.
    But I like spicy, so I leave it all in. The batch I made is up there, but it's not over the top; the spice will fade out fairly quickly, and it's got plenty of flavor (IMO) compared to some hot sauce that's hot for hot's sake - there's no flavor - it's just the spice.

...compared to some hot sauce that's hot for hot's sake - there's no flavor - it's just the spice.
    LOLOL

That reminds me of a time when my wife and I dined at a Mexican restaurant in Santa Fe. The waitress dropped off the obligatory chips and salsa with our margaritas, winked at me and crooned "bon appetit". The first salsa sample brought tears to my eyes, singed off half my mustache, and started a thermal overload in my stomach that I could feel even through my shirt. After extinguishing the inferno with my drink I asked our server could she please bring us some mild salsa. Her deadpan response was "That was the mild salsa, señor.".

It took half a bottle of Pepto to help get me to sleep that night.