Thread: New body for Jimmie Vaughan Strat. Waste of time and money?

New body for Jimmie Vaughan Strat. Waste of time and money?

I love my JV Strat. Sounds killer and plays very well. Still, I can't shake the notion that replacing the body with a 1 or 2 piece alder from Musikraft that I'll finish in thin white, would improve it.

Opinions? If nothing else, I'll end up with a project Strat body in the end.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

TFF Stage Crew

Re: New body for Jimmie Vaughan Strat. Waste of time and money?

Go for it! That's not wasted time or money if you dig it.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

As for "improving" its tone or playability, I think you're pissing in the wind.

But if you merely want a white JV guitar, that's one way to get it.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

It's white already. I'm just curious about how the change might affect what I have now, for better or worse. In the end it's non-destructive and I do have an '84 Ibanez Roadstar II neck that is a perfect fit and identical scale for a strat in case I want to build up a mongrel from what's left over.

There are a few pickguards, pots, and other stuff in the spares pile already. The "best" sounding body would get all the Fender JV hardware and neck and the spare body would end up with the Ibanez parts plus a Fender trem.

Guess I'm bored since the band imploded.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

I would go for it, if I were you. Bodies are not that expensive and as you say, the worst that can happen is that you wind up with another guitar. Aw gee that's awful. Sniffle sniffle.

I have had this bug in my head for the last several years since I got my partscaster and a Rutters Tele. I am almost 100% convinced that for single coils, the lighter and less dense the body, the better the sound will be, regardless of the particular species of wood. My partscaster has quite a light two-piece alder body and my Rutters Tele has a very light one-piece ash body. If you go too light, however, it seems to lose a bit of the bass. With the exception of a few vintage Strats (which I don't own), the best Strat I ever played is my blue partscaster. The same goes for my Tele. I think it has to do with the light, resonant bodies on both. Or maybe I am just nuts. That is always a strong possibility.

I would be interested in the results of your experiment. Keep us up to date.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

I had a white JV Strat and felt that its weakness was the body. It was a little lumpy looking here and there, the bridge cutout was oddly shaped and the ultra-thick finish made it look like it was dipped in marshmallow. I think they leveled off and filled poor woodworking with gooey thickness.

Having said that, I don't believe that replacing the body will improve the guitar's tone (unless it's a dog and you stumble upon a particularly great piece of wood) or it's playability so I'd hesitate to do that.

I ended up replacing my Hwy1 Strat's pickups, bridge, neck, tuners and pickups, and often think of replacing the body with one that has a '50s style two tone sunburst finish (which is crazy because it has a light, resonant two piece alder body with a thin, handsome three tone sunburst finish) so I'm not the best person to give you a reasonable answer on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I had a white JV Strat and felt that its weakness was the body. It was a little lumpy looking here and there, the bridge cutout was oddly shaped and the ultra-thick finish made it look like it was dipped in marshmallow. I think they leveled off and filled poor woodworking with gooey thickness.
    My sentiments exactly regarding the white finish on mine. It's the best sounding toilet seat I've ever played.
    Love the guitar but I like to tinker too.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by TT100 View Post
    My sentiments exactly regarding the white finish on mine. It's the best sounding toilet seat I've ever played.
    Love the guitar but I like to tinker too.
    In that case, perhaps a new body is in order. Refinish the original then earmark it for further "experiments".
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

I'd check for MJT body's on eBay, Mr. Jennings stuff is awesome