Thread: Difference in sound and touch between a vintage Jag vs. the "re-issue" model ...

Forum Member

Difference in sound and touch between a vintage Jag vs. the "re-issue" model ...

The title was meant as a question:

Is there such a difference in handling, "touch" (feel), and sound between a real vintage (1960's) Fender Jaguar and a "re-issue" model?

The newer (modern) model sure looks good but does it really "behave" as a true Jaguar from back in the days, so to speak?

I had such a great little Jag a long time (used when I had it back in the early 70's) and I had to sell it in 1976 (tells you how old I am, right?).
    Now of course, I have browsed pretty much dozens of websites and ad's and did find a few "real" vintage Jag's for sale, but I was totally shocked with the ongoing prices.
    Right, I should have kept mine but really, at that time, food was more important than strumming away.

So, I thought that maybe this new "modern" Jaguar might be just as good as my old one??

I would like to "hear" from some people who had the experience of trying both the "old" and the "new".

Thanks !

JP

Re: Difference in sound and touch between a vintage Jag vs. the "re-issue" model ...

I don't have any experience with Jaguars though I have owned vintage and newer guitars and have found dogs and gems both old and new. I had a '66 Mustang that was not great and recently played a friend's '66 Music Master that blew my mind! That guitar had "something" that I don't think you can count on finding just because a guitar is old.

My USACG T-Style (blackguard Tele clone) has a sound and feel that I've heard and felt from really good older and newer guitars. That was mostly just dumb luck. Sure, I chose the types of wood, hardware, pickups, etc... but didn't know how they'd all get along until it was finished, and even that guitar didn't blow me away until I plugged it into the right amp years after assembling the guitar (now I appreciate it with any amp).

I have a 1959 Gibson ES-225TD that's a really nice guitar.It plays well, sounds good and gets the job done but it doesn't have a ton of vintage "magic". I don't believe that's even a real thing- some guitars just have it, some don't, regardless of age. Still, nice old things in good shape are nice to have.

I think that a builder can make a new guitar that is as good as anything ever made. I think it'll help if you're willing to look to someone besides Fender.

Forum Member

Re: Difference in sound and touch between a vintage Jag vs. the "re-issue" model ...

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I don't have any experience with Jaguars though I have owned vintage and newer guitars and have found dogs and gems both old and new. I had a '66 Mustang that was not great and recently played a friend's '66 Music Master that blew my mind! That guitar had "something" that I don't think you can count on finding just because a guitar is old.

My USACG T-Style (blackguard Tele clone) has a sound and feel that I've heard and felt from really good older and newer guitars. That was mostly just dumb luck. Sure, I chose the types of wood, hardware, pickups, etc... but didn't know how they'd all get along until it was finished, and even that guitar didn't blow me away until I plugged it into the right amp years after assembling the guitar (now I appreciate it with any amp).

I have a 1959 Gibson ES-225TD that's a really nice guitar.It plays well, sounds good and gets the job done but it doesn't have a ton of vintage "magic". I don't believe that's even a real thing- some guitars just have it, some don't, regardless of age. Still, nice old things in good shape are nice to have.

I think that a builder can make a new guitar that is as good as anything ever made. I think it'll help if you're willing to look to someone besides Fender.
    Thanks for the reply, Don.

I've looked into other-than-Fender out there and tried quite a few, from the cheapo to the extreme (read: costly) gear and, yes, some are real dogs and some are just a dream to play on, old and new.
    Presently, I have a semi acoustic Ibanez "Jazz-style" and I find it OK but it sure doesn't have the feel that the old Jag had. It does the job, as you say, and sounds good (not great) on the amp -- nothing more, nothing less.
    I spend more time playing on a 1983 Norman B30 acoustic 6-stringer these days.

There is so much choice out there and that would be a matter of visiting the stores and "test" them one at a time until you get the right feel.
    I can afford something which I couldn't in the past but not willing to pour out tons of dough on an expensive piece of garbage either.

Nonetheless, time will tell ... maybe I'll end up surprised one of those days!

Cheers for now!

JP

Keep us up to date on your search. We live for that stuff here.

I never really cared for Fender Jaguars back in the day (as they say). Every Jaguar and Jazzmaster I played felt clunky, but that could easily have been the setup and the choice of strings. The Jaguars and Jazzmasters I played were always set up "heavy" if my memory serves me correctly: thick, flatwound strings and high action. That is just my memory however and memories are never reliable.

I have played two of the new Jaguars over the past year and in both cases, they really impressed me. I loved the tone and the feel, not enough to buy one (I think I have too many guitars already), but enough to take note.

I would like to play a vintage Jaguar which had been set up more to modern tastes, and compare it with the new ones. But at the least, the new ones I played were darn nice.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Keep us up to date on your search. We live for that stuff here.
    I will.

There are a couple of real vintage Jag's right here in Canada and the price seems "OK" (in Canadian dollars, that is):
    It's a 1963 and looks in darn good shape.
    I'd like to test it out but it is quite a drive from here: 5 hours or so !!!
    I'll post some pics that the seller sent to me.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by docjag View Post
    I will.

There are a couple of real vintage Jag's right here in Canada and the price seems "OK" (in Canadian dollars, that is):
    It's a 1963 and looks in darn good shape.
    I'd like to test it out but it is quite a drive from here: 5 hours or so !!!
    I'll post some pics that the seller sent to me.

JP
    Where are you in Quebec? If I am closer to the Jag than you, I can take a look for you. I am in Ottawa, btw.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Forum Member

These are some of the pic's I had talked about:
    if you see "blotches" on the guitar, it is because I have edited the images to keep confidentiality: the name of the seller was in there.

.... Ooops!!
    Says at the bottom of that page ... "You may not post attachments"

Too bad!

I just wanted to have some feedback.

Edit:Success !
    I've been able to post some photos (see below)
    This is going for $4000.00 Cdn ... quite a bit more than I was expecting.
    Any comments?
    Last edited by docjag; 09-18-2015 at 03:08 PM. Reason: added information

Forum Member

[IM

G]Fender Jaguar 1963 3-1 by Natimages, on Flickr[/IMG]

Forum Member

That first photo is the overall "take".
    I'll post some more below.
    Any comment(s) would be appreciated.

[IMG]Fender Jaguar 1964 1-1 by Natimages, on Flickr[/IMG]

Forum Member

[IMG]Fender Jaguar 1963 2-1 by Natimages, on Flickr[/IMG]Here is a bit of details:

Forum Member

And one last one ....
    [IMG]Fender Jaguar 1963 4-1 by Natimages, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sadly I have not had a chance to play a 60's era Jag. I do know my Squire Surf Green beastie (and its big BASS Jaguar brother) are awesome. The Jaguar --with that funky tremelo and LONG thrwo between the bridge and the tremelo give the beast a feel and a tone that NONE of my other guitars have. There is also a "depth" of tone I notice when playing it unplugged that I really like.....

Sorry perhaps one day I will get a shot at a fondle or two on a Vintage Jag.

I am curious.......does anyone know the difference between the Jazzmaster pickups and the Jaguar pickups????
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Volumeknob View Post
    Sadly I have not had a chance to play a 60's era Jag. I do know my Squire Surf Green beastie (and its big BASS Jaguar brother) are awesome. The Jaguar --with that funky tremelo and LONG thrwo between the bridge and the tremelo give the beast a feel and a tone that NONE of my other guitars have. There is also a "depth" of tone I notice when playing it unplugged that I really like.....

Sorry perhaps one day I will get a shot at a fondle or two on a Vintage Jag.

I am curious.......does anyone know the difference between the Jazzmaster pickups and the Jaguar pickups????
    You say that "The Jaguar --with that funky tremelo and LONG thrwo between the bridge and the tremelo give the beast a feel and a tone that NONE of my other guitars have." ... you mean the recent Jag, right?