Thread: J Mascis - Liar?

J Mascis - Liar?

I just saw the Rig Rundown for J from a couple years ago. It's pretty much what you'd expect from an interview with him, but I was shocked when he said that he has recorded rhythm guitar tracks with P-90 loaded guitars and leads with a Telecaster since the early 90s. I don't know if he has a rep for lying about his gear (Billy Gibbons, I'm looking at you), but I don't think I buy it. Granted, he uses a lot of fuzz, but even up through recent releases the guitars sound like Jazzmasters to me.

Re: J Mascis - Liar?

MMMM Jazzmasters.........I miss mine...... Sometimes I think about trying to find someone who might want to trade a MINT Jaguar for a nice Jazzmaster.........

The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

The recording studio is a COMPLETELY different world than live shows. Sometimes what works for one may not be right for the other. Also, mic placement et al can really twist the sound around, in a good way. I've only read a couple of his interviews, so I can neither confirm nor deny anything. Alls I know is that he's a Jazzmaster Jedi!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    The recording studio is a COMPLETELY different world than live shows. Sometimes what works for one may not be right for the other. Also, mic placement et al can really twist the sound around, in a good way. I've only read a couple of his interviews, so I can neither confirm nor deny anything. Alls I know is that he's a Jazzmaster Jedi!
    Plus - with 3 stacks and several big muffs and other assorted sundry weirdness on his pedalboard, who can really tell one Fender from another without actually seeing him playing it?

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."