Thread: Listening project.

Listening project.

I'm a bit tired of listening to uncoordinate music, just "best of" stuff and mixed tracks.

Decided that I'll take some time to listen to the classic albums in order and only the original releases.

Even ordered a brand new LP player with RCA output to play my old and new vinyl records, and the rest I'll get on iTunes or elsewhere, priorizing quality and fidelity.

Starting today, with some 1964 Stones:

Re: Listening project.

Just got another one! Love this álbum and had to have the LP

Sergio, you've probably seen my FB posts lamenting the end of the album, or at least of the golden age of the album as an artform. I detest greatest hits collections, unless there's something really special about them.

I love good albums like Delaney and Bonnie. It's interesting to look at the growth of a group like The Who or The Stones from the beginning until they began to fully realize their talents. They became more and more interested in the album as a form and explored its possibilities.

Sure, there are some artists still interested in the craft of the album. but we live in an age of samples and a singles based market.

I just listened to The Nitty Gritty Dirty Band's Uncle Charlie--now there's a wonderful album you may not have heard yet.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I listen to various selections made at my "command" by Pandorra. I don't listen to very much radio play any more...except maybe jazz on Sundays. I enjoy old tunes from the 60's rock bands but even that gets boring after the 800th time. I go to hear as much "live" music as possible to recharge my batteries...from small clubs to big venues...although i like small clubs the best.

Been buying lots of LPs lately...

This is addictive.

i'm GASing for a Marantz turntable.

Just got this:

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Just got this:

Is that a re-issue? The original had a "peel-able" banana.

Yes, I'm buying new 180g LPs...

old ones are too often unkept.

but I got some Zep and Beatles oldies

By the way, this morning the mail man brought me this box set

Went digging for some more vintage vinyl and found this

I love this album! Happy I found a 1977 LP in good shape!

Sérgio, in case you weren't aware, Reverb.com has started a huge store of original vinyl LPs. Check out https://lp.reverb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBoy View Post
    I listen to various selections made at my "command" by Pandorra. I don't listen to very much radio play any more...except maybe jazz on Sundays. I enjoy old tunes from the 60's rock bands but even that gets boring after the 800th time. I go to hear as much "live" music as possible to recharge my batteries...from small clubs to big venues...although i like small clubs the best.

Hey Paul - what's up???
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Interesting project for sure. I don't know if I laid my listening history out here before but I swore off vinyl first time I heard a cd in the early 80's and haven't looked back. Reason being is that during the 70's when I was getting into music and upgrading my stereo system and components what seemed like every year I would buy albums that would sound muddy or just not clear. In order to fix that I would have to turn the treble way up on my receiver. After a bit I even bought a graphic equalizer to dial in some albums and dial out the poor recording quality. Back then I always struggled with why companies would put out products with muffled clarity. Anyway, with that, after I went to cds I still listened to the music the same way from the beginning to the end. Reading the liner notes and envisioning what was going on to create the order of the songs etc. I still enjoying doing that to this day. So, my hats off to you and what you're searching for.

I'm a bit tired of listening to uncoordinate music, just "best of" stuff and mixed tracks.

Decided that I'll take some time to listen to the classic albums in order and only the original releases.

Even ordered a brand new LP player with RCA output to play my old and new vinyl records, and the rest I'll get on iTunes or elsewhere, priorizing quality and fidelity.

Starting today, with some 1964 Stones:

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    Interesting project for sure. I don't know if I laid my listening history out here before but I swore off vinyl first time I heard a cd in the early 80's and haven't looked back. Reason being is that during the 70's when I was getting into music and upgrading my stereo system and components what seemed like every year I would buy albums that would sound muddy or just not clear. In order to fix that I would have to turn the treble way up on my receiver. After a bit I even bought a graphic equalizer to dial in some albums and dial out the poor recording quality. Back then I always struggled with why companies would put out products with muffled clarity. Anyway, with that, after I went to cds I still listened to the music the same way from the beginning to the end. Reading the liner notes and envisioning what was going on to create the order of the songs etc. I still enjoying doing that to this day. So, my hats off to you and what you're searching for.

There are good and bad vinyl records, but most of the time if you aren't getting a clear sound out of good ones, then the problem is mainly your sound system needing attention/maintenance...

Anyway, I'm done with CDs. Never really liked them. Now I only do legal streaming apps like Apple Music and Deezer, if I want to browse away, and I buy and collect my favorite and essential vinyl LPs. I love to own them, look at them, touch them and play them. It's a kind of pleasure that no other media can give me.

There are good and bad vinyl records, but most of the time if you aren't getting a clear sound out of good ones, then the problem is mainly your sound system needing attention/maintenance...

Anyway, I'm done with CDs. Never really liked them. Now I only do legal streaming apps like Apple Music and Deezer, if I want to browse away, and I buy and collect my favorite and essential vinyl LPs. I love to own them, look at them, touch them and play them. It's a kind of pleasure that no other media can give me.

A number of years ago I bought album cover frames. They were picture frames into which one could place record album covers and hang them. I would rotate them on occasion: Court of the Crimson King, Satanic Majesties Request, my European pressing of Zeppelin I & II, After Bathing At Baxter's, etc. Album art used to be part of the whole record experience. The small format of CDs has lost that aspect of recorded music.