Thread: Townshend and Strat at Glastonbury 2015

Townshend and Strat at Glastonbury 2015

Who needs a bloody set neck anchor to rock and roll when the Strat does it so well?

https://youtu.be/Mqz1TpdcZmA
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Townshend and Strat at Glastonbury 2015

Pete roxxxx the strat!

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Pete's been playing Strats (and bolt on's) since the early 80s - when he had the Schecter custom Tele styles.
    He still sounds like himself, no matter what gear he plays - compare the current Strat / Vibro King rig to the SG / Hiwatt rigs of the early days.
    One of my favorite guitar players.
    Though honestly, watching Won't Get Fooled on that Youtube link, makes me think Pete's kinda phoning it in... doesn't have his usual swagger, and he's missing a lot of chords and phrases. (not to mention Roger looks old when he's doing the "walk in circles" thing he does.
    Last edited by jrgtr42; 07-12-2015 at 08:43 AM.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Pete's been playing Strats (and bolt on's) since the early 80s...
    Pete Townsend's association with the Strat goes back at least to the mid '60s.

I saw The Who in Sacramento shortly after the single "I Can See For Miles" was released and he played a Fiesta Red Strat for most of the performance. The guitar was transformed into kindling with the closing song of the show and a Vox Super Beatle was totaled as well.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Pete Townsend's association with the Strat goes back at least to the mid '60s.

I saw The Who in Sacramento shortly after the single "I Can See For Miles" was released and he played a Fiesta Red Strat for most of the performance. The guitar was transformed into kindling with the closing song of the show and a Vox Super Beatle was totaled as well.
    Augh! I always hate it when they destroy a guitar. And those Super Beatles - while not awesome like vintage tube amps - are pretty rare (and expensive) so I hate that too.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Pete's been playing Strats (and bolt on's) since the early 80s - when he had the Schecter custom Tele styles.
    He still sounds like himself, no matter what gear he plays - compare the current Strat / Vibro King rig to the SG / Hiwatt rigs of the early days.
    One of my favorite guitar players.
    Though honestly, watching Won't Get Fooled on that Youtube link, makes me think Pete's kinda phoning it in... doesn't have his usual swagger, and he's missing a lot of chords and phrases. (not to mention Roger looks old when he's doing the "walk in circles" thing he does.
    Rog is 71.I think he looks great for it.I hope I look as good as that at 71 :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    Augh! I always hate it when they destroy a guitar. And those Super Beatles - while not awesome like vintage tube amps - are pretty rare (and expensive) so I hate that too.

That's my biggest issue with Pete as well. It wasn't just Strats getting totalled either - Can you imagine anyone even thinking of doing that to a Ric nowadays ?... but then -some folks have enough money that they'd think nothing of destroying a £3000 guitar

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    If that weren't bad enough, they played two shows that night -- one at 8 PM (the performance I attended) and another at 10 PM. Pete destroyed an identical set of gear for the second act and Keith totally trashed his Premier drum kit. A local band called The New Breed featuring Timothy B. Schmit was the opener.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."