Thread: Cyber Twin for....?

Silent_Ap0stle

Cyber Twin for....?

My question involves home recording. I've heard a lot of good things about using the fender cyber twin for this purpose, but ive also heard that in order to get a proper "recording worthy" tone out of it, it has to be cranked. Normally that wouldnt be a problem, but i have neighbors who..... dont share my enthusiasm for the guitar.

Would the twin be a good choice for me?
    and if not...
    What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Forum Member
    I've played the CT, and IMO it sounds like a POS. If you want good tube amp tone, get a real tube amp.

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    I want a pair of "cyber twins." Yeah, BLONDE cyber twins would rule. Hmm, and their friends! :bigal
    The man with magic hands.

I've used my Cyber Twin for recording at relatively low volumes and have been happy with the results. I've used mostly clean sounds, like the Twin Reverb with vibrato. I agree with the other comments about not liking it in live situations. :)

I agree with Tremo. I brought one home and ABd it against a Tweed Hot Rod Deluxe. The CT lost out big time. It went back to the store. I thought it sounded very sterile, and I couldn't coax anything much out of it that I liked.

I had a CT for about a year too. It seemed that no matter how much you "colored" it with FX or different amp patches/configurations, it always had the same "base tone". Does that make any sense to you other CT owners? I also have a Johnson Millennium 250 stack, and simply preferred it over the CT--the Johnson was more versatile, and I couldn't see having 2 modelling amps. But I'm NOT saying the CT sucked, mmm-kay?

Forum Member
    I've used them in the studio alot and find them to be superb. They just sound good and nothin' beats watchin' them knobs spin by themselves!:bigal

You have to set the input trim right, kill the noise gate and have some programing chops. You need to be able to understand the amp to dail up a tone. Not everyone can. I see people everyday who really can't build a simple preset yet they think they will do it all with a CT. It is the same as with the bigger rack systems, you gotta be able to work the dails and understand the architecture to be effective, otherwise you are at the mercy of presets.
    Last edited by Big Al; 08-01-2002 at 10:50 PM.
    The Sun don't shine, the Moon don't move the tides to wash me clean..

Originally posted by Big Al
    I've used them in the studio alot and find them to be superb. They just sound good and nothin' beats watchin' them knobs spin by themselves!:bigal

You have to set the input trim right, kill the noise gate and have some programing chops. You need to be able to understand the amp to dail up a tone. Not everyone can. I see people everyday who really can't build a simple preset yet they think they will do it all with a CT. It is the same as with the bigger rack systems, you gotta be able to work the dails and understand the architecture to be effective, otherwise you are at the mercy of presets.
    Big Al proves something I've always said. If you know what a great amp sounds like you are way ahead of the game when you try to use a modeling amp. You've got to tweak and listen. And forget about the presets. I was in a music store playing with a cybertwin and came up with a fairly good tone. The salesman comes running up and say "What did you do? That sounds great." I just told him I started turning things off and just tried to get a nice round tone. He said the amp had never sounded better.
    I don't use any modeling amps, but I do own a POD and have used it on sessions. They can be a good tool if used correctly. But if I'm gigging, I gotta have a tube amp. That ain't negotiable. :tw59
    Last edited by GuitarG; 08-02-2002 at 04:02 AM.

How satisfying would the Cyber Twin be for guys like me who almost exclusively play at home alone or with a buddy once in awhile?

Thanks Mike!

I have been intrigued by these types since the first modelers came out and with Fender "on board" you can usually expect good things.I have a couple boogies and am a tube guy but these things have so much going what with all the effects and different amps etc that I am thinking it could work for me. A way to experience all these various amps without buying them, sort of.

Hey your suggestion about GC /30 day trial is cool. I'll buy anywhere that I feel comfortable with and guarantees make me comfortable though I hear all the horror stories. If I get dicked around when I'm buying anything I just walk out. No problems.