Thread: Speaker for Blues Deluxe Reissue

Forum Member

Speaker for Blues Deluxe Reissue

Hi folks, I was just reading a post by "ch willie" about modding amps (or not), some of which covered speakers in a Blues Deluxe. I have one of these amps and now that I've started gigging again, have been thinking of ways to get a louder clean from it. Ive tried changing v1 to 12AT7 and 12AU7, neither of which made a noticeable difference, so that leads me to consider a speaker swap, something more efficient. Something that won't break up as I turn up.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be looking at? Has anyone swapped their speaker to get a cleaner sound? I was thinking of the JBL lines or Lansing, Gauss, something like that.
    What do you think? Is it worth a go? I know this is the opposite of what many people try to achieve, but this is such a good amp (for me at least) that I just want to get a bit more of that Fender clean without the weight of a Twin ( I'm getting on a bit now!).
    Thanks in advance.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Speaker for Blues Deluxe Reissue

I'd recommend an Eminence "Red, White & Blues" or a "Texas Heat". Both speakers are rated for 75 watts and feature an SPL in excess of 100 dB.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Hi phantomman, thanks for your reply.I've had a listen to your suggestions on the Eminence site. Do you think their sound bites give a reasonable representation of the speaker's sound? If so, the Texas Heat seems to do the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'm also interested in even more efficient drivers though, you know, 101, 102 dB, but I'm not sure if they will be too "ice-picky". It's so difficult to know without trying, and expensive to try!
    And I'm a pauper...

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Hard to say whether or not what you hear from a sound bite on your computer is an accurate representation of a loudspeaker's tone. There's also the variables of amp type, control settings, guitar type, etc which are usually not mentioned during the tests. In general though, I've found Eminence's sonic samples to be prototypical of how their specific models perform.

I don't know of any speakers offering an SPL in excess of 102 dB. The JBL D120F (which I'm quite fond of and own several) is rated for 101 dB. But the Lansings are an "acquired" taste for many and relatively expensive, given that they've been out of production for nearly four decades. They're also quite heavy since the huge alnico magnet structure weights 11˝ lbs.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I'd recommend an Eminence "Red, White & Blues" or a "Texas Heat". Both speakers are rated for 75 watts and feature an SPL in excess of 100 dB.
    This.

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by terry View Post
    Hi folks, I was just reading a post by "ch willie" about modding amps (or not), some of which covered speakers in a Blues Deluxe. I have one of these amps and now that I've started gigging again, have been thinking of ways to get a louder clean from it. Ive tried changing v1 to 12AT7 and 12AU7, neither of which made a noticeable difference, so that leads me to consider a speaker swap, something more efficient. Something that won't break up as I turn up.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be looking at? Has anyone swapped their speaker to get a cleaner sound? I was thinking of the JBL lines or Lansing, Gauss, something like that.
    What do you think? Is it worth a go? I know this is the opposite of what many people try to achieve, but this is such a good amp (for me at least) that I just want to get a bit more of that Fender clean without the weight of a Twin ( I'm getting on a bit now!).
    Thanks in advance.
    Hi there,
    I believe you can get a better sound by upgrading to the same Jensen 12 that Fender is using on their "special run" Blues Jr....or the slightly more expensive Alnico magnet version. I side by sided the Jensen with the the Eminence speaker that comes standard in your Blues Deluxe and bought the Special Run Jr because it was tighter and cleaner...Like you I am not really interested in early breakup in my speakers. I am fairly confident you will like the new Jensens.

Hi,
    I would think about the Jupiter 12sc or pushing over 25 watts the 12Lc for 50 watts. They give a warm smooth blues & Jazz sound.
    Last edited by tele_man; 11-28-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Forum Member

Saw this very professional review on You Tube-

Swamp Thang Speaker for Fender Blues Deluxe;

http://youtu.be/NAwonYJoxQ8

I just bought a Fender Blues Deluxe and want to break it in first. May modify in a few months.

Don't over look the Jensen Jet series. Dropped a 12" Jet Lightening model into a 1st gen Peavey Bandit and that amp lit up like the 4th of July! A 10" Jet Falcon in a humble Fender Frontman 25R and it sounded huge. The Jensen Jet series can take a mediocre amp and breath new life into it that you didn't know was there... They can handle lots of watts and not fall apart.
    I forgot what I was going to say...