Thread: Mexican parts in American Standards?

Mexican parts in American Standards?

A friend of mine removed the pickguard of his new American Standard Strat and noticed a sticker on the 5-way switch, it had a serial number and "assembled in Mexico".

Other than that, there were 2 more stickers with assembly info and handwritten initials of the inspector.

I had never heard of American Standards with parts assembled elsewhere. It got me curious and I checked my own. Same thing.

I see no problem in that itself, mexican made parts can be ofjust as good quality, but I wonder what are the policies for advertising American made instruments, just how much foreign stuff they can have thrown in...

Gravity Jim

Re: Mexican parts in American Standards?

The difference between American and Mexican Fender guitars is about 20 miles.

Does it really make a difference? Sure, the Americans have nicer wood and finishes, nicer electronics, but who cares whether a crude little blade switch switch was made in Mexico or Malaysia?

I don't, really... I was just curious and surprised as I didn't know they used mex parts...

No problem with that, though.

Where are the PCBs that the pots are mounted to in current Les Pauls assembled? I assume that sub-assembly is imported. I think it's pretty common.

Good question, Don. I have no idea if Gibson does that too or not.

My 1961 Chevrolet Corvette roadster had a 326 ci motor, made at a Pontiac plant, in Canada. my 1970 had panels and glass from foreign plants. My 2006 Chrysler has parts from all over the globe. It's a trend that started thousands of years ago, the first time my tribe found out yours had better fishing hooks and you'd trade for our birch poles.
    ;>)/

Quote Originally Posted by JDUB View Post
    My 1961 Chevrolet Corvette roadster had a 326 ci motor, made at a Pontiac plant, in Canada. my 1970 had panels and glass from foreign plants. My 2006 Chrysler has parts from all over the globe. It's a trend that started thousands of years ago, the first time my tribe found out yours had better fishing hooks and you'd trade for our birch poles.
    ;>)/

My Chrysler is basically a Mercedes with a Chrysler name tag... my Nissan Pickup is mostly American.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

My Nissan pickup was made in Smyrna, Tennessee, my Honda Pilot was built in Lincoln, Alabama, and my Toyota Tacoma was assembled in Fremont, California. My Chevrolet Chevelle came from Baltimore, Maryland but its rear axle was produced by GM-Canada.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

It's sometimes difficult for us to understand what a prized guitar an American Std. Strat is in other countries. In Western Europe, people fetishize American culture--everybody wants to ride on Route 66; the Marlboro man is still popular, and Harleys and Gibsons and Fenders made in America are the tits. So it's a bit disappointing to find out that we're not talking 100% American construction.

I have no problem with a Mexican switch in the guitar, and de Melo doesn't.

I love AmStds. I'm no purist about the appointments as long as they function well. One day, I'm going to try a Callaham bridge, but if I don't get around to it, selah. I fetishized American Fenders so long before I could afford to buy one. They're just beautiful guitars and are a standard of sorts. Sure, I'd love to have a Custom Shop Strat and Tele, but the AmStds are great for what I play and how I play. Admittedly, I changed pups, not because the AmStds were bad; they're great (2008). I changed them because I like Fender's vintage-y pups.

Anyway, AmStds are held in high esteem in many places around the world. I'm not saying that any of you "insulted" the AmStds in any way, just making an observation about how we might be unaware of the high regards people have for them in other countries.
    Last edited by ch willie; 06-10-2015 at 03:13 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Thank the Lord nobody seemed to misunderstood my point. I was merely pointing out a particular fact about Am Std switches, not complaining about them...

Willie brought an interesting aspect to the topic: many people do worship and fetishize the Am Std series for supposedly being something immaculately built and 100% summoned from the U.S. holiest wood and metals... But it's not really, although it's one of the finest "standard" instruments money can buy, along with the Gibson Les Paul Standard or the Gibson SG, for example...

No problem at all with Mexican or Asian parts, as long as it is a well built instrument with a good finish, a comfortable neck and great wiring and pups... and it has all those features.

I like mine, it's probably the best guitar I've ever played, for my personal taste and ears... I even dig the fact that it has some latino DNA, just like myself

Edit.: BTW I drive a very good Ford sedan which happens to be non-American made, and it is not a "lesser Ford" car because of that ;)

A lawyer driving a mere Ford?

Most attorneys I know own a Benz or a Beemer. Or both.

I'm a Ford man and can't help it. I was raised by the graces of Ford and the UAW taking it to the ring--my father drove a forklift for 30 years at Ford Glass in Nashville.

I drive an Escape. (ducks).
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    A lawyer driving a mere Ford?

Most attorneys I know own a Benz or a Beemer. Or both.

I don't like those luxury Eurpoean cars, Roger. They don't speak to me. I could have those if I wanted to, but I just don't. I only drive Ford or Chevy sedans... I guess I have a thing for cowboy rides.

You see, I'm a man who wears Converse Chucks in my leisure times, and not the John Varvatos fancy models, I have the canvas old school black high tops I wear since my 11 year old days... I'm a simple man.

I like trucks too, but I never understood why people insist on driving those in the city. A real pain in the @r$e to park in crowded lots and too big for most uses...

I'm a sedan man all the way.

I'm not sure what passes for a truck down there but here in Los Estados Unidos, pickups are considered pretty civilized now......

My own attorney drives a Cadillac Escalade.

That's a beauty of a truck. Perfect color. Wish I had it and a matching guitar!

It's a pretty close match to Lake Placid Blue.

Toyota calls it "Speedway Blue".

It's a beautiful color. I must be 6 years old because I still have a favorite color, and it's blue.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I'm not sure what passes for a truck down there but here in Los Estados Unidos, pickups are considered pretty civilized now......

My own attorney drives a Cadillac Escalade.

I was kidding about the trucks, hermano. PIckups are allright...

It's just me, I don't fancy SUVs, PIckups and such. I'm a sucker for black sedans...
    Last edited by S. Cane; 06-10-2015 at 05:39 AM. Reason: typo

Gravity Jim

An Escalade isn't a pickup truck. It's a big, stupid ghetto-fabulous SUV that's easily replaced by a t-shirt that reads "My car cost $75,000 dollars."

Who's your attorney, Saul Goodman?

He's a retired Marine Corps JAG lawyer and former US Attorney.

Just picked up a JV Strat on Father's Day. It's a 2002 by the date on the backside of the PG. The tuners were pretty stiff so I swapped them out with a smoother set of similar aged vintage kidney bean type and bushings. The ones I pulled of the guitar are stamped "Japan" underneath. Japanese parts in a MIM Fender? Surprised but not concerned.

Btw, the string posts on the USA tuners vs. the Japanese set are slightly different diameters. Therefore the bushing swap as well.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Up until about 2006, Fender was sourcing many of its tuning machines from Gotoh (ie: Japanese). They're good parts, much better than the Ping junk they use now. The Gotoh vintage-style machines share their dimensions with the repro Kluson Deluxe types so a direct exchange is possible. OTOH the bushings used with Ping's vintage-style tuners require a larger-diameter mounting hole so swaps with Kluson's are not as easily accomplished unless the holes in the headstock are shimmed or special bushings are used.