Thread: Sharing cathode resistor/cap

Caps to replace

Hey gurus,

Please disregard the thread title. To avoid hijacking Don's thread about cap replacement, I'm posting here.

Based solely on cap type, which ones here need to go? Seems like those brown .047 uf
    electrolytics have probably seen better days, but what about the (three) black ones..?
    (the third one is hard to see, just above the noval socket)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvknqp2i2x...%2016.JPG?dl=0

Thanks,

JR
    Last edited by jeru; 05-13-2015 at 09:55 AM.

Re: Sharing cathode resistor/cap

Those brown .047uF caps are not electrolytics but look to be film caps of some kind. They may or may nor be okay. You can measure them to see if they're leaky. Same with the one marked "Jaguar". I can't see the small black one well enough to tell.

Did you just install the 47uF filter caps? If not, you might consider replacing them if you don't know how old they are.

I think the black cap on the left is electrolytic (bias bypass cap?) and could stand to be replaced.

Re: Sharing cathode resistor/cap

Thanks Don. This is a work in progress - so far I've gutted everything before the
    7199 Pentode/Triode to make room for the filter caps and two preamp stages on
    that first noval socket there. So, the filter caps are new, waiting on some resistors
    to complete the power supply.

As for the capacitors, the reason I asked is that I can't really tell reliably what kind
    of caps the brown and black ones are. I did a bunch of image searches to try to
    find a picture of caps like that which identifies them by type, but no luck yet.
    I thought the .047s were elecrolytic.

Once I get my parts, I'll wire it up and then troubleshoot - no sense fixing it if it
    ain't broke..

Thanks.

Muzak Conversion Pics are HERE