Thread: New Fender Blues Jr. NOS tweed amp - NAD and an observation

New Fender Blues Jr. NOS tweed amp - NAD and an observation

I've had this puppy for a few weeks but only just started really putting it through its paces...I played it a lot at the store and it beat out both Princetons (PRRI and '68CPR) because of price/performance and overall utility...

So far, it sounds great (haven't gigged it yet, as I've needed to stick to my AC15 for last few gigs because I KNOW that works for me).

It's got a nice Fender sparkle - perhaps not quite as - well, sparkly - as the PRRI...but it also has a nice tweedy grind with the Fat switch engaged. Looks great, and very vintage-y.

Only niggle so far - it's quite bright. I heard they did a sparkle mod to the amp - and it does indeed sparkle. But I found that I need to back the treble down considerably, at lower volume especially, like down to 3. The reverb is similarly overbearing and I can only have that between 2 and 3 as well. But with these changes, the amp sounds and responds just like one would hope.

Note that in general I'm setting the amp up to play clean with just a hint of breakup on hard transients - I haven't had a chance to really try it with all my axes in full-grind mode.

Kinda reminds me of that thread where OSA basically said "don't set the tone by what you see (and know) - set the tone by your ears. And to my ears the amp sounds best with the bass and middle just slightly above middle on the dial and the treble and reverb on 2 or 3.

YMMV.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Re: New Fender Blues Jr. NOS tweed amp - NAD and an observation

Nice review! I had one of the older Blues Jr's, 2, I think. Sounded boxy to me. I wound up modding it with new tubes and a solid pine cab. Opened it up quite a bit. Played it with the band but found it struggled at gigs. Nice cleans, nice grit but when pushed too hard just broke up to blech........Sound like the changes they made to them have helped out. Congrats and good luck with the Jr.!
    Fender Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar, surf green,
    Gibson SGJ, cherry,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special, black,
    Peavey Classic 30 Tweed
    Ampeg B110

Gravity Jim

I had one if the early ones, too. Swapped out tubes and the speaker (twice), tried different drive pedals, and sold it. I'm glad to hear they improved it, because mine was the antithesis of your remark about ears vs. eyes. It was designed to look like a vintage amp, but I couldn't get a usable sound from it. That's what I get for joining the online gold rush to buy one.

Forum Member

I'm in the UK and still waiting for mine to arrive.
    Saw a comparison clip onYouTube between this version and the standard model and much preferred the NOS Tweed version.

Have had standard versions in the past which I've liked so I'm really looking forward to getting mine and running it in tandem with my AC15.

Quote Originally Posted by grimlyflick View Post
    I'm in the UK and still waiting for mine to arrive.
    Saw a comparison clip onYouTube between this version and the standard model and much preferred the NOS Tweed version.

Have had standard versions in the past which I've liked so I'm really looking forward to getting mine and running it in tandem with my AC15.
    I haven't done a gig that was big enough to play with both my AC15 and the Blues Jr. - but hopefully I will, sometime this summer.

That will be a great sound, I think.

Forum Member

I got a NOS Tweedy a few years back and put all the BillM mods on it. It is an awesomely versitile beast now. The added sparkle control and a English made Celestion G12H in it I can do VOX, Tweed, and BF on it!

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I got a NOS Tweedy a few years back and put all the BillM mods on it. It is an awesomely versitile beast now. The added sparkle control and a English made Celestion G12H in it I can do VOX, Tweed, and BF on it!
    I gigged with mine last night - nothing between my Tele Deluxe and the amp except a Fulldrive II - and I have to say that I wouldn't change a thing - the amp just *works* for me.

I don't want my AC15 to feel bad (LOL) but the Fender's more portable and equally toneful (though perhaps a bit brash as compared to a nicely broken in Vox).

uhm.........pics?
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Happy NAD a couple months ago! I see posts from so many people who don't like the Blues Jr, it's refreshing to read one that has good things to say about it. I got mine in 2004, installed some Fromel mods and a Cannabis Rex speaker a few years later and it sings (to me, anyway)! It sang in stock form, too.

Forum Member

I played the tweed in a shop the other day and really liked it. If I bought one though, I think i'd replace the speaker with a cannabis rex to give the low end a better feel.

Anybody have any experience doing gigs with one or something similar in wattage/speaker size?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I played the tweed in a shop the other day and really liked it. If I bought one though, I think i'd replace the speaker with a cannabis rex to give the low end a better feel.

Anybody have any experience doing gigs with one or something similar in wattage/speaker size?
    Can't help you with the Cannabis Rex question but i have been gigging mine weekly - sometimes multiple times - and am quite fond of it in stock format...

Here's the thing - it IS a bit...pokey I guess is the word - I have to tone down the treble - but with all my guitars (Fenders/Gibsons/Gretsches/PRS/Dano XII) it sits nicely in the mix - whether mic'ed or listening to the room sound - and I wouldn't change a thing. I know that when the speaker mellows I can just juice up the treble.

Here's another neat thing I noticed...well, two things really...first is that it plays nice with others...last 2 outdoor gigs I took my little Vox AC10 (the Guitar Center exclusive white one with the cool British Flag grille cloth) that I bought on a whim, and ran a second cable from my pedalboard to that. Well, there's all kids of mid from that little amp (surprisingly) and it fills in well with the NOS tweed. Second thing is that - long about the 3rd set when the more jammin' songs are put (for backyard BBQ/deck/pool parties we ease in with some lighter fare) I can just walk back, push the fat switch, and the amp just has that little...bit...MORE that I'm looking for.

This weekend's gig is at my 30th class reunion, and it's outside under a tent on a nice big stage. I can't wait - I'm going to bring both my NOS and the AC15 out for the first time and run them in tandem. I don't know if anyone else will notice but I will be in tone heaven!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    I'm going to bring both my NOS and the AC15 out for the first time and run them in tandem. I don't know if anyone else will notice but I will be in tone heaven!
    Rickenjangle - we have the same rig, my Tweed Blues Junior has finally arrived!!!
    Can't collect it till Saturday though, but I can't wait to hear the two together.

Forum Member

Blues Junior turned up today, sounds great by itself or together with the AC15. I'm well happy with it.
    Rig doesn't look to shabby either.

I agree with you 200%...

Old Rockers never die; we just fade away!
    会長

Quote Originally Posted by kaicho8888 View Post
    I agree with you 200%...

Awesome. Did you lacquer them more? And (not a criticism, just a question) why are the badges moved?

I'll bet they sound sweet together.

Quote Originally Posted by grimlyflick View Post
    Blues Junior turned up today, sounds great by itself or together with the AC15. I'm well happy with it.
    Rig doesn't look to shabby either.

Beauty, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    Awesome. Did you lacquer them more? And (not a criticism, just a question) why are the badges moved?

I'll bet they sound sweet together.
    One of them got a small dime smudge that I could not clean. Tried soap/water, then something stronger like carpet cleaner, but the black smudge only bigger like 6"! Then the whole fabric came off the cabinet! I then used a hot clothes iron on it and the glue reactivated and the fabric was glued tight on the cabinet. It seems the glue cause the smudge to come out on the top fabric. The cabinet is painted black. However the 6" smudge was not to my liking...so on with the polyurethane with stain (pecan) and it covered the smudge. Mostly it made it look like new vintage! So I did the treatment to other BJr NOS.

I had to remove the badges on the front and back to apply the poly. They were originally pinned with a little double stick foam tape. I placed the front badge on the side so I can easily identify it. I was burglarize three years ago and lost quite a few guitars and amps. Now I'm more diligent in taking pictures, using markings that I can easily see, and of course take down serial numbers. Insurance only pays a little and extra riders cost $$$$ for vintage gear.

Old Rockers never die; we just fade away!
    会長