Thread: Sano Supersonic High Fidelity Amplifier......

Forum Member

Sano Supersonic High Fidelity Amplifier......

I managed to get a day off, and tried to mow between showers of rain and drizzle. At least while it was wet, I cleared a bench and set the Sano Supersonic project on it for pictures. Though the camera is constantly on the blink, today it worked well enough for some pictures.

The amp originally had casters on the bottom. But at some point, those were moved to one end, and the Sano badge rotated. I removed the casters (one was broken in shipping) when I received it. Here is a picture of it laying on it's proper side:

and another:

the back:

top:

The next few are inside, before and after I removed both chassis':

Forum Member

Re: Sano Supersonic High Fidelity Amplifier......

The original mounting position of the power amp was just under the 15" speaker. No idea why it was moved, but I set the chassis over it's original mounting holes, and tried the tubes. They can be removed and inserted with no problem. I will mount it back in that position, once the cab has been cleaned and repairs made:

Even though I can't dedicate any real repair time to it for another couple months, I can at least begin the cleanup and maybe make some cab repairs. A buddy at work suggested that I just clean it up and leave the old 'Road Warrior' as I found it. I'm considering that, as well.

I have a rather large Ampeg dolly that would extend approximately an inch out, all the way around. But, the rubber feet fit just fine, and those casters are original Ampeg, and in good condition.

Also, on top there is a plate with two 1/4" jacks, that were connected to the stereo input. I may reuse it or fab a nicer one. But, I'm thinking that this is a good spot for an effects loop, instead. For the moment, I don't plan to use the stereo input, though I will leave it completely functional if I should find a need for it.

And, I have a set of replica Ampeg carry handles that I can put on each end. This beast is heavy, and those sure would help. I intend to leave the original handle on top.

I'll report more as the process continues. Have a good one.

Jack

That old Utah brings back memories.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Got off work at a decent hour, today (Sun). So, I took a quick peek at a potentiometer code.

According to this website:

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/potcodereader.aspx

This what I have for a code of 1346350:

Potentiometer Info
    This potentiometer was made by
    Mepco/CentraLab, Inc.
    in the 50th week of 1963

So, this is probably a new year model for 1964.

Jack

Cool amp!

Forum Member

Cool project, thanks for sharing!

This looks like a fun project.

I bet that would be a good amp for a modelling pedal like a Digitech RP series or POD. I was thinking of building a tube-based hi-fi amp for my Digitech RP355.

What was the original purpose of this amp? Keyboards?

Thanks for sharing.
    Chris
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdw2000 View Post
    This looks like a fun project.

I bet that would be a good amp for a modelling pedal like a Digitech RP series or POD. I was thinking of building a tube-based hi-fi amp for my Digitech RP355.

What was the original purpose of this amp? Keyboards?

Thanks for sharing.
    Chris
    It was built for accordion, with stereo pickups. But, it has an instrument (guitar) inputs.

Everything looks really good, under the hood. The 15" speaker and one 8" parallel to the power amp OT. The Reverb has its own OT output dedicated to the other 8" speaker.

Maybe this evening I can install the replica Ampeg handles on the cab ends. And possibly the threaded insert in the cab bottom, for dolly attachment. Still need to clean both 8" speakers, but that may tomorrow evening.

Yes, this may be a fun and short project (I need some of those). Most of the old amps that I've resurrected have been extended projects. Still fun. Just very time consuming.

Jack

Forum Member

Re-assembled the Supersonic and connected to the lamp limiter. It failed before I could go past my 60 watt bulb. I stepped through four bulbs, 25, 40, 60, and 100 watt. So, the first test is to remove the 5U4 rectifier tube and try again. It passed, as I observed the filaments begin to glow. PT is good. I dug out another 5U4 tube and started again. This time it passed, and began showing signs of working with the 60 watt bulb in place. I connected the guitar and the amps does indeed work. However, there was a slight hum, with all volume pots turned down. I stepped to the 100 watt bulb and the amp got louder. So did the hum. But, it works.

Finally, removed the 100 watt and put a plug-fuse circuit breaker in lamp socket. Now the amp is really loud. And, the hum is some loud, but I'm enjoying the amp. The Reverb is really strong, so I've got a good spring tank, and I have the speakers connected correctly.

While I was enjoying it, the amp developed a really loud hum that made playing impossible. Shut it down and put it back on the limiter. It still passed. Fired it up again off of the limiter, and it sounded really good for a few minutes. Then, the loud hum came back with a thud. I shut it down. I won't play it again until I've replaced the two canned capacitors in the power supply. Fortunately, that chassis is easy to remove, and the caps should be easy to get to. I will order the parts and begin work on filling the stripped out screw holes on the back. I have some new black washer-head #6 wood screws to re-install the back panel.

Once the power supply caps are installed, I intend to connect a chassis ground from the bottom chassis to the top pre-amp chassis. A bit more towards de-humming the amp. Also, I will make an effects (FX) loop box to mount to the hole in the top, and fab up a cable to go between the Return and the RCA jack in the power amp. I will connect the pre-Amp output (RCA, as well) to the Send of the loop.

Here's some pictures of my resulting progress:

Note the replica Ampeg sided handles. And, the real Ampeg dolly underneath. The last two pictures are mainly to show the solder terminal (bottom left of the chassis picture) and the thermistor installed in series with the 'hot' line to the power switch.

In my haste to get pictures, I forgot to snap one of the front, and my newly re-installed badge. Though it's missing the white back panel, it still looks good to have it back in its correct orientation. I will have more pictures when the next (and hopefully final) phase is done. Showing real promise. Have a good one.

Jack

Forum Member

Update - 11Aug15:

I didn't realize how long it's been since I put my hands on this amp. Life is just too complicated. I have a couple days off before working an 8-day stretch of long hours. It's a rotating schedule at the plant, so I know when it's coming.

I replaced the second canned capacitor in the power amp, and now that chassis is very quiet. It houses the Power Amp and Reverb. The Pre-amp is connected by means of a shielded cable, RCA plug on the end. I fabbed up a small metal project box with two closed-circuit phone jacks, and two RCA phono jacks. This is for an Effects Loop to mount in a rectangular hole on top of the cabinet. Before, there was a plate with two open-circuit phone jacks, paralleled with the 'Stereo' input. I believe that the onboard, four-pin stereo jack is for an accordion, as Sano catered to the accordion market. The amp is overall very quiet, even though the Pre-amp does not have a chassis around it. It's just mounted to the Faceplate.

Again the Reverb is plenty strong and the Tremolo is weak. I can see that a drawing is in order, at some point, to properly troubleshoot by. There is a Guitar input, Instrument input, and another unlabeled input. I'll inspect closer when I'm making a drawing. It's a lower gain, and is affected by the Master Volume, only. The Reverb, Guitar, and Instrument inputs have their on Volume/Gain pots. I'm thinking this one ties in somewhere downstream of the Guitar and Instrument.

What a really nice sounding amp this has turned out to be. With no history, a very trashy appearance (dirty inside and out), and many input modifications, it has come back to life in a fine way. I believe that I have it very stock, with the exception of my FX Loop. No wiring mods, on my part.

Next fix will be to straighten out the power switch, as it has no affect. Power is always on, if the power cord is connected. I use the switch on my limiter box, when I'm working on it. My limiter has a lamp socket, fuse holder with 3-amp fuse, and a typical wall switch (though I put one in rated for 20 amps). When I want full line voltage/current, I screw in a plug fuse replacement circuit breaker, in place of a lamp. The receptacle is protected by the small fuse, at all times. I also have a ground binding post (green), so that I can run an alligator jumper to a chassis that may not have a grounded cord.

Anyway, I'll snap a couple of pictures when the rest of the fixes are done. Particularly, the FX box and the front with the Sano badge rotated to it's correct position. More to come. Have a good one.

Jack

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Jack, the unlabeled input jack may be intended for a microphone. That feature was common among many amps back in the day.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Found the issue with the power switch. It is a 3-position switch, apparently is not original to the amp. I now have it wired to have one 'Off' position, and two 'On' positions. At least now, I can power it down with the switch. I will pick up a Carling short-bat power switch to replace it.

Also, I tested my FX Loop with the Pitchfork that I received from Doug Hoffman. Sounds really good on this amp. But then, anything would sound really good on this amp, I believe.

I haven't made a drawing of the Pre-amp, yet. But, the unmarked input appears to be an original installation. It jumps way downstream to a point on the Standby switch. Which explains the weaker sound when connected here. Probably an input requiring some signal from an external Pre-amp.

This Standby is like that on the Guild amps that I have, as it grounds the signal.

Anyway, the weak Tremolo is the next issue to resolve. That will have to wait until next week. Too warm in the shop. Glad I had a cool morning out there.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hester View Post
    But, the unmarked input appears to be an original installation. It jumps way downstream to a point on the Standby switch. Which explains the weaker sound when connected here. Probably an input requiring some signal from an external Pre-amp.
    Possibly a phonograph input......?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post

Yep! That's what I'm thinking. Although, amps like the Ampeg B-12/15/18 series have just a pre-amp output, for paralleling amps. Would work well here. Some models of the Guild Thunderstar Bass have a Pre-amp Out and a Power Amp In. The Pre-amp out is an open circuit jack, so you can use it to parallel another amp to it.

Jack

If I recall correctly, the old Hi-Fi systems' phono inputs where actually of a higher sensitivity than inputs for tape and aux. Something about the phonograph not putting out as mich signal? So if that input requires a line-level signal to feed it, it's probably not a phono input. I'd bet it's for electric pianos.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    If I recall correctly, the old Hi-Fi systems' phono inputs where actually of a higher sensitivity than inputs for tape and aux. Something about the phonograph not putting out as mich signal? So if that input requires a line-level signal to feed it, it's probably not a phono input. I'd bet it's for electric pianos.
    Phonographs of yore used a ceramic cartridge, with a much higher output than modern magnetic types which often required an outboard pre-amp for use with the old hi-fi systems.

The electric piano (or combo organ) might be another possibility.

Phonographs of yore used a ceramic cartridge, with a much higher output than modern magnetic types which often required an outboard pre-amp for use with the old hi-fi systems.

The electric piano (or combo organ) might be another possibility.
    Wow, I never knew that. Thanks for dropping some knowledge!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

Didn't mean to forget about this thread. I'm on that end of life where such is commonplace.

Here's the current drawing:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/f3ow3m...WR_-_rev_D.pdf

I CAD'ed the Pre-amp/Tremolo chassis, but attached a scanned schematic of the Power Amp/Reverb chassis. Seems Sano badged this amp for another brand, Excelsior.

The amp is finished, with a really clean sound all the way up on volume. I scrounged some parts and fabbed an input box for the 4-pin XLR jack. Pin 1 is the Treble channel, and pin 2 is the Bass channel. The Tremolo is very nice sounding, and only works on the Treble channel. The Reverb tank is driven from the Power Amp output, connected at the speaker terminals. So, it works with all channels, and has it's own SE amp that drives a dedicated 8" speaker. Very strong.

The most common model of this Sano Supersonic does not have this configuration, at all. So, if you ever run up on an Excelsior 50WR, get it. A worthwhile project. I got this one cheap, and now it'll hold its own with the best. Because, it is the best.

Jack
    "We sleep safe in our beds
    because rough men stand ready in the night
    to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

---George Orwell