Thread: Gig almost cancelled.

Gig almost cancelled.

Not sure if this should be posted here, after all it's about a gig that probably ain't gonna happen, but...

I can't tell you all how p!$$ed I am. My band is about to cancel a gig we'd play in March due to lacking a bassist.

Dude, and we're about two bloody weeks from the show.

Last edited by S. Cane; 06-19-2015 at 04:12 AM.

Re: Gig almost cancelled.

Do you have a keyboard player that can hit the bass notes, or a rhythm player who can compensate?

Have your other bass players just quit or are they just unreliable?

I could fill in.......but I am a little far away :)

And I suck---but a suckie bassist is better than no bassist.......well.....at least we could make it a colorful and unforgettable show-----
    On second though it might spell the end of your future gigs.....yeah, I will have to respectfully decline your offer de Melo .......I don't wanna break up the band. lol
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

where are you located anyway??
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

So, as someone who runs the band you shouldn't get pissed, you need to find a replacement and also figure out why your bass players keep leaving.

Starting off with hating bass players doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

When you have a band you have a small (usually unprofitable) business. You need to think like a successful entrepreneur does.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I skipped right over a couple of comments in this - but OA you make a good point.

I play bass, I book work, I do sound, sometimes, i play some guitar (not often - because I almost Always have stellar guitar players in the mix).

I am used to hearing crap as a sound guy - and hate the Us V. Sound guy stigma. I ALWAYS try to make the sound as good as possible, and am proud of my end result in most cases.

As a bass player - I will quickly dismiss a persons comments that bass players are frustrated guitar players. Bottom line - good bass players are not. They are an entity unto themselves. MANY are guitar players, and some of those may be. I have never heard anyone say an accordion player is a frustrated keyboardist OR a drummer is a frustrated trianglist (ok......snicker)

at any rate - could be that just selected a couple of people who did not fit, schedules conflicted, work ethic was wrong etc....... Could be other reasons, not sure.

There are a lot of good people/musicians out there - find some like minded people and put your gig back on track. Its a lot easier said than done in many cases - and I know it.

I run a jam where I am at, two years solid. I played with my guitar player for 4 years at one he runs that Dave Bromberg used to host. He still shows up when he isn't on tour. That one has been going solid for about 14 years. We have built some really solid go-to lists from these jams - great network hubs.

Do you have anything like that where you area at de Melo?
    Kenny Belmont

Frank: I live in Brazil. Thanks anyway

Angler: Maybe I didn't express myself properly (English ain't my mother language, and mine is quite rusty, I'm afraid).

I said my band, but I don't own it, it's the band I play with, and none of us is an "owner", we're all friends who formed a tight band, but we're a singer, two guitar players and a drummer. We lack a bass player because the ones that played with us didn't fit in.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 06-19-2015 at 04:11 AM.

Its tough keeping it going - guys bailing out on you makes it even harder!

that said - you will find the right guys - it will happen!
    Kenny Belmont

At the shop I worked at we had a bulletin board where folks could post stuff, but mostly it was for local musicians to post what they needed. Like band positions. That actually worked out pretty good too.

I would suggest to go to your local music shops and see if they have a similar posting area. If so, then stick up a card with what you need. "Wanted: Bass player that is interested in 'such and such' style music. Must be ready to gig and travel. Call: ph. # and blah blah"
    You may be surprised as to what you may find. Oh sure there's gonna be some guys that don't know a B flat from a hole in the ground, but this is a time tested and proven manner in finding people.

Going on the internet for a band player is stupid (in my opinion) as you'll get every form of fool that can operate a keyboard posting all sorts of junk. At least in a music shop you stand a better chance of finding someone that is interested in music. Because unless they're lost, folks just don't wander into a music shop looking for cupcakes or plumbing supplies.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Indeed, the music shop "Wanted" post is the best option.

And just so you know, I didn't post here to try to find a bassist to help us, as I am probably the only Brazilian in here.

I just wanted another topic of conversation with y'all as we sit by the fire digesting the beans and sip another beer...

Anyway, it is always good to make fun of bassists.

Here's one:

"A kid wanted to learn an instrument so his father recommended the bass. He bought the kid a bass and some lessons.

After the first lesson the father asked "What did you learn from your instructor?"
    The kid responded "The E string."

After the second lesson the father asked "What did you learn from your instructor?"
    The kid responded "The A string."

After the third lesson the father asked "What did you learn from your instructor?"
    The kid responded "I didn't go. I played a show instead."

BUWAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAA

So that's even better, I can tell people I Have a Brazilian Lawyer.....that'll shut em up quick........look FYI deMelo if anyone asks I was at your place last night we played poker till 2 a.m. then I left alone.....got??? ALONE, there was no garbage bag involved..... wink wink
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

I could see the frustration in your post and could tell you were simply making conversation here to that end about the lack of a bassist. When I said that going on the internet for a band player is stupid, I was referring to those that do so on the local levels with networks that exist for things from lonely hearts to cooking club gatherings. Hell, I knew you were a lot smarter than to ever go that route! Guess that comment just came out sounding wrong when I first posted it.

And English is a second language for me and I often leave out stuff that helps it along at times huh? Thinking in two languages has it's disadvantages in that some things come out sounding wrong when thought of in one, then spoken in the other.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Forum Member

Can't help with your bass player needs, but I'm reminded of a bass player friend I had. He was from Mexico, and a really good player! A high school buddy needed a bassist for a 2 week country job over in Arizona, so I put the 2 together. (Armando's english wasn't too great, but he could play!) My wife and I drove over on Saturday night to hear them play. Pretty good!
    You may know that latin music often has the bass play a harmony line to the lead, my friend kept drifting into that mode while playing 4/4 country tunes, and would get a look from the others.
    On break he came over and visited, he told us, "they tell me play it straight man, play it straight", "you know it's hard to play it straight!"