Thread: OK, WAY off topic! Any reloaders about?

OK, WAY off topic! Any reloaders about?

We got any "build your own" ammo loaders here? Been stuffing cases since '59 or '60 and actually took a step back in time a few months ago by going to the old Lyman Ideal 310 tong tool. That's what I learned to use with an old great uncle that loaded for his old Colt SA .45. My big press, and all the gear with it, sits collecting dust as I load old school and loving every minute of it. I found both the large (for rifle) and small (for pistol) 310 handles and the dies all made on or before 1960 and they're exactly like the gear my old uncle Leo used. Talk about nostalgia-o-rama! Only difference is that Leo didn't believe that smokeless powder was going to last saying it was a passing fad. He loaded his old Colt with black powder.

Everything fits into a 12"X8"X5" hard case and has everything in it to load .38Spl/.357Mag, .45-70, & .30'06 except for powder, projectiles, and cases. There's even an ancient Lyman #55 powder measure and a nice accurate electronic digital scale to boot is in there too. Oh, it's cramped, but it all fits just the same.

I'll sit in front of the tube and load ammo as I'm no longer tied to the bench anymore. Kinda cute if ya ask me. Now I cast my own rounds too and I even have a few of the old 310 bullet sizing dies for what I load too. That's really old school as you gotta pre-lube the round and then ram it through the die to size the slug. Some can be a might hard and takes time. I usually do the bullet sizing and lube with my old 450 lube/sizer for convenience. Only 310 loading dies I'm missing are for the .44 Mag... Still loading that one off the bench for now. That'll be next month when the retirement check goes in when I get those dies.

In side by side comparison, the loads I build with the 310 are every bit as accurate as with my big press and all the high end gear used with it. And unless you're sizing bullets, it's no slower than a single stage bench mounted press. Sometimes even faster.

So, we got any reloaders out here in Fender Land?
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: OK, WAY off topic! Any reloaders about?

Hey Ranger, shoot me an e-mail. I need to pow-wow with you about a related topic.

(click on my screen name and follow the prompts)

Thanks
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

e-mail sent.

Forum Member

I'm mostly a pistol shooter, but don't shoot as much as I used to, maybe only 300 rds. a month now. I still have to reload, to be able to shoot, and I have been casting my own for quite a few years now. Like you say, it's an enjoyable hobby, although I don't care to do it the primative way. Multi cavity molds, and a Star lube-sizer, and load on a progressive press.
    I salvaged an old Ideal 45 cal. mold a few years back, (been abused, but I got it mostly cleaned up, with just a few rust pits), I think about 250gr FNSWC, if you can use it, send me your address.
    Last edited by Bill Moore; 02-11-2015 at 11:06 AM.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Was a big time reloader back in the day. Some of that was out of neccesity due to the various disciplines I shot. Some of it for cost savings in volume (for IPSC) as well as non std cartridges (in silhouette).

I also experimented with creating a few wildcats. One was pretty neat and I went through a couple revisions of the rifle I made for it.

My presses were a Rockchucker, a 4x4, and a Dillon.
    Mark

Oh boy, do I know what you mean about high production of rounds. Back in the late 70's up until around '86, I was a Class 6 Ammo Mfg. and gunsmith/dealer on the side while still doing my police work, and part time luthier and amp work too. Loaded for my department and three others for the practice ammo. Had about 35 other customers for loading exotic or hard to find ammo as well. I'd get 5 gal buckets of mixed brass brought to me by the different PD's and then after sorting, culling, and cleaning, I'd start loading. I finally got worn out and gave it up. Sold all the progressive gear. Kept only a single stage press and stuff to load just for me.

So now, living way out in the woods with my own range, I can relax and take my time. That's why I load with the 310 because it's relaxing to do so. When folks close to me around where I live now hear that I reload I get instant "Can you load me XXX caliber ammo?" NOPE! I'm no longer licensed to do so and I load just for me. But I'll teach 'em if they want to invest in their own gear.

Oh, and Bill, I sent ya an e-mail a little while ago. Hope I got the right address....

Well sometimes ya find a deal on gear and other times ya don't. Was just taking a look on e-bay in the reloading section and spied a newer set of .44Spl/Mag Lyman 310 dies for a ridiculously low, and I mean LOW price. And it was a make offer or buy now and not a bid thing. A new listing, and they'd be snapped up quick if I didn't act fast. I looked at my bank statement and figured I could miss a few meals. I hit buy now (it was real low to start with) and they're on the way.

And Bill, bless his heart, fixed me up with an old Ideal mould for .45 cal that'll do nicely in my big bore thumper lever-gun! Bill I owe ya one amigo!!

So maybe it's Friday the 13th somewhere, but not here in the Old Ranger's world. It's Christmas in February! To an old time reloader like me this is like getting a new guitar or amp. Schaa'wing!!

Some days you're the bug -- others, you're the windshield.

Rawk on!

Yeah, ain't that the truth! This morning I got up and went out to look around the place and saw that the rear view mirror in my old Rez-Rocket had fallen off the windshield. I thought, this ain't gonna be my day... Wrong! And I got gel superglue anyway! Don't mean nuthin' :)

That's the spirit, Ranger.

Yup, today is supposed to be around 72°F and sunny with a mild SE wind. Guess where I'll be? Oh shucks, that was an easy one. I'll be going at it on my range out back! Got some '06 loads I'm dying to shoot and there's a new .38 Spl load I just built last week that is a 'must shoot' if there ever was one... The prediction for Tuesday is low temps with freezing rain and snow. I'll get my shooting in now and when it turns crappy, I'll be casting bullets in my little shop out back or inside loading rounds. That mould that Bill sent me is scheduled to arrive today too! I'm gonna be real busy casting with it soon anyway as it's gonna open up a whole new aspect for one rifle I got.

A couple weeks ago I was out in my storage barn looking for some LM386 chips and such for my neighbor's insatiable appetite for building small electronic things now, and found a bunch of empty .45-70 and .30'06 cases in the search. Didn't find the chips, but the locating of the empty cases was a real shot in the arm though. Now I can make more ammo for the two remaining centerfire longs guns I have. You can never have enough ammo loaded unless there's a fire!

Hey Bill, loaded 10 rounds last night with the new castings and a mild dose of Red Dot. Hunkered down at 50 yds with the old Marlin in a sitting position and sling. Drilled a 1.5" group centered with it. Not bad for an open sight 18" barreled shoulder cannon. Happy camper here! And same POI as my heavier 390 gr RN with AA5744 powder. Now this new load is easy to build and costs way less too!

Thanks Bill!

Well that's sounds like great fun Mr. Ranger ! :)
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Just where is "redneckistan", VK?

ALA-freakin-BAMA -- the South Eastern quadrant. By the Beach......AKA the Redneck Riviera ;)
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Cool!

I learned to fly at Ft. Rucker.

What a great state!

God Guts and Guns Baby!
    T. Roosevelt

......And guitars!

Of course Sir
    T. Roosevelt

FYI THIS is WAAAAY off topic
    T. Roosevelt