Thread: What!? No MIA versus MIM threads!?

What!? No MIA versus MIM threads!?

I just noticed...I don't see a bunch of MIM vs. MIA threads on this forum.

Frankly, I'm glad to see (or not see!) that.

Just sayin'

Re: What!? No MIA versus MIM threads!?

MiM's just ain't the real McCoy. Period. Cheap electronics, bad wood, ceramic pickups. In a sum: cr@p.

Only an American Standard is good enough.

Oops...

Did I inadvertently just start a MIM vs. MIA?

Wasn't my intention!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by de Melo View Post
    MiM's just ain't the real McCoy. Period. Cheap electronics, bad wood, ceramic pickups. In a sum: cr@p.

Only an American Standard is good enough.
    The only thing that's crap is your biased-and-misinformed generalization.

Adios
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Oh boy. Now you've gone and done it. Started the kettle boiling.

Smitty, 'ole buddy, here's a big "thank you" for starting this.

Well I suppose that my gear is beyond the limits of even the trash heap and needs to be set on fire now since it's not up to standards huh? Now I gotta save my boxtops and bottle deposits to buy a new guitar. Guess I better get a bottle job amp while I'm at it too huh? I feel so incomplete now..... Oh the humanity....... This is the end...

Goodbye cruel world...
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Indeed, Ranger!

This one's going into the wood chipper this afternoon......

God, didn't anybody see the Mexican troll image in my post?!

Do I have to draw that I was obviously joking?

I was making fun of the precise people who have misinformed and biased opinions, Phantom, keep it cool...

Even the last phrase was also an obvious joke about people who brag about owning a Gibson, "Only a Gibson is good enough".

I used to laugh a lot at those folks back when I gigged with Epiphones, just fine.

God, didn't anybody see the Mexican troll image in my post?!

Do I have to draw that I was obviously joking?

I was making fun of the precise people who have misinformed and biased opinions, Phantom, keep it cool...

Even the last phrase was also an obvious joke about people who brag about owning a Gibson, "Only a Gibson is good enough".

I used to laugh a lot at those folks back when I gigged with Epiphones, just fine.
    de Melo,

I was wondering when I saw the pic!

Anyhoo, my bad for not catching that.

You're cool!

Yup, I agree with the others.

I wasn't trying to start anything. I just happened to realize as I was on another forum devoted to a particular Fender product, in which a large number of threads focus on the MIM vs. MIA topic, that I hadn't seen any such threads here.

That's a good thing!

Yeah, cork sniffin' is a ridiculous behaviour... I was surprised to see friends like you and Ranger actually think I was serious about my post...

I was pretty confident you were joking, but I figured I should make a follow-on post, just in case.

Plus, I had just come from the other forum where the opinions were pretty strong. I guess I had that in mind. You're right...I should have known better from you.

My apologies. I certainly did not mean to offend.

TFF Stage Crew

I saw it, but then I'm smart that way

edited.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 02-11-2015 at 08:57 AM.

I'm the smartass.

edited.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 02-11-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Just a problem with cross-wires in communication. Hope you can make it up.

Everybody knows that MIMs are from El Diablo and that MIAs are from El Diablo too--damned devils take up all my time.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

edited.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 02-11-2015 at 08:58 AM.

I'll see your MIM:

...and raise you an MIC:

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Yeah, ok, and I'll probably fold unless I do listen to those two and got myself a pretty good amp to raise upon...

Did you say 'amp'?

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!

This one's MITROT (Made In The Republic Of Texas)

Last edited by NTBluesGuitar; 02-10-2015 at 08:29 PM.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

The sad part of the written word is that it contains no "vocal tones" to show if the "speaker" is using a humorous voice or being sincere. With no such manner of "hearing" what was said, and the picture below actually gave me no indication of any humorous interjection either, I could only presume that the post was as written. Thus my goofy reply. And I've known Sérgio for some time now too, and even I thought he was serious. I thought that perhaps he, like some other folks, may have had a possible bad experience with a MIM or MIC Fender at one time and was just "sounding off a little". Much like a man that drove a Ford and it was in the shop a lot and then no longer liked that make anymore.

Without the conventional means of actually hearing a voice with the humor readily built into the words, I can see where one would not be able to make the distinction when in print alone. Often when one is making a joking remark they'll follow it up with laughing smiles and such or .... Those do aid in promoting the "joke" in text form.

Yes, I'm playing cop here, like I used to when dealing with disputes on the street or in a home where folks argue or have a misunderstanding. Am I trying to keep the peace? Sure I am. It's in my DNA. But I do believe that we all learned a valuable lesson here.

1. Use smiles at the end of your jokes...
    2. Don't get riled up if you can help it.
    3. Don't let Smitty post another thread like this again!
    See, that was a joke there, OK??

Ya'll shake hands and make nice. Life's too short for any animosities and misunderstood stuff getting in our stuff.

żDos Amigos? Bueno!

Besides, if ya'll don't behave I'll send my neighbor's sister-in-law to come live with ya! Here she is.......

Now that's incentive to be good if I ever saw it!

And funny thing is: I like this guy. I didn't see that coming at all.
    I can tell you that Phantomman is a good dude, and I'm sure he didn't intend to be mean.

We're all very passionate here about the things we love, and PM loves MIMs. So things get a little .... elevated.

I got your joke straight away, but sometimes irony doesn't come across to some, and I think it's all just a communication problem.

Patch it up in private messages. I like having both of you on this forum. And what makes me like you and PM is your passion for instruments and music. You guys have much in common, and it would be a shame if you two didn't make it right between you.

Peace and love, brothers.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

No hard feelings from me.

I asked him to edit the post there, he kindly did. And so did I edit mine.

I'm really sorry, folks (goes to you too, PM). An innocent joke about corksniffing ended up in a huge miaunderstanding.

And PM is indeed a nice guy, I was more frustrated than angry as a matter of fact, because I didn't expect such hostility...

Besides, whenwe pick a single post and take it to another place, most readers won't understad... I was really embarassed with the idea of being confused with a douchebag.

Ranger, I didn't say a word about your post because I understood you mistook what I wrote, and I was pretty sure you would notice that I was just kidding there...

Once again, I am sorry, and hoping all is well now.

Orale, Fantasma!

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ranger View Post
    Oh...well the next one is gonna be about maple vs. rosewood!

Maple fretboards are more sunshiny. Rosewood fretboards are stolen from the backside of Indian elephants, whose tusks are used to make GraphTech nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by 71818 View Post

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by smitty_p View Post
    Oh...well the next one is gonna be about maple vs. rosewood!
    Smitty, if you start another thread with a 'this v.s. that' I'm gonna have a trained ninja squirrel/part time luthier break into you house and install those newfangled robot tuners on ALL your guitars. Then he's gonna switch out all the tubes in your amps to Ruby. And the last thing will be to poop lots of his little ninja squirrel poo poos into all your cases. And if ya got any booze in the house he'll drink it all and pass out naked in your living room too!

So, if you folks don't mind, I just edited all my posts to avoid any more bad memories of this incident.

I think all is well now. I sent a no hard feelings Pm to Phantom,as well ...

Rock on!

Smitty, if you start another thread with a 'this v.s. that' I'm gonna have a trained ninja squirrel/part time luthier break into you house and install those newfangled robot tuners on ALL your guitars. Then he's gonna switch out all the tubes in your amps to Ruby. And the last thing will be to poop lots of his little ninja squirrel poo poos into all your cases. And if ya got any booze in the house he'll drink it all and pass out naked in your living room too!
    "Naked Ninja Squirrels" would be a good name for a punk band!

You're a twisted little puppy... But it would be a cool band name huh?

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    I'll see your MIM:

...and raise you an MIC:

Whaddaya have to go & do that for ?

I have to admit to being a little bit of a brand snob here, however I have a Squier CV50's Tele like the one above, and for the money it's a great sounding guitar with a decent build quality. As Telecasters are considered "basic, no frills" instruments I didn't see the point in spending a huge amount on one, however at some point I might replace the pots & wiring.
    I've been told by my local luthier that the build quality on the Chinese insruments is pretty good nowadays, but although I have GAS for a Jaguar I can't bring myself to buy a Squier Jag for less than half the price of a Fender badged model. I really don't know if the Fender (MIM) Jag is worth more than twice what the Squier version costs. : As far as I can tell the only major differences will be the body (Basswood vs Alder) and quality of electrical components which can be replaced (if necessary) for much less than the price difference between the guitars. Discuss ...

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

As a matter of fact it's quite simple: Squiers and MiM Fenders, each in its own degree, are guitars made with cheaper craftmanship, a wider QC comb.

That definitely doesn't make them bad instruments, but many people are snobbish about them.

I say they're good guitars for what they cost (let's not forget that there's plenty of copies and knockoffs out there that really aren't worth the 2 dimes they cost), and you can even gig with them eith or without changing pots, wiring, pickups.. It all depends on what you want from them.

The MiM Strats and teles are good enough to most anything you want to do with them, plus are beautiful instruments, I like the 70's logo on them along with the classic headstocks...

Like I said, I played Epiphones for some time and they did the job just fine. Entirely stock, except for straplocks.

Now, about what you said: I currently own an American Standard Strat. It is indeed a perfect guitar. Are Squiers and MiMs as good? Well, they certainly have lesser pickups and the overall build quality and playability will vary. But that doesn't make them bad at all.

In a sum, squiers and MiMs are excellent workhorses for musicians.

I think the thing with the American guitars is that you probably won't need/want to change anything in them, they are as good as it gets.

I have 3 Strats, a MiM Classic 50's, a late 80's MiJ and a USA artist model. The USA model is definitely a step above the others, but I actually find the 'lesser' models more playable due to their slightly thinner necks. I have changed the ceramic pickups out of my 80's MiJ but the MiM is stock. Your corksniffing reference is very true on the LPF where the stock Gibson pickups seem to get little love compared to the many boutique PAF clones, but Fender owners seem to be generally happier with the stock pickups (i.e. there are fewer threads concerning pick up replacement. . . except possibly Tele neck pickups lol) .

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

You're a twisted little puppy... But it would be a cool band name huh?
    Not to belabor the point beyond reasonability, but "Twisted Puppies" would also be a good band name, either for punk or thrash metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Direstraits View Post
    I have changed the ceramic pickups out of my 80's MiJ but the MiM is stock
    True confession time.

Sometimes I play my son's MIM Strat BECAUSE of the ceramic pickups. If I want more of a rock sound, and less of a bluesy sound, I borrow his Strattykaster. They have less of a quack and don't sound as much like the quintessential "Stratocaster" sound, but do give a pretty nice rock sound with a higher gain, Marshall-esque setup.

TFF Stage Crew

It is a bit of a paradox. The bulk of the MIM is junk, imo, except for the "Classic" line of '50s & '60s reissues. I like the body/neck dimensions & profiles better than their USA counterparts.
    There are exceptions, though. The bodies that are painted solid colors are usually poplar or basswood, I think. Only the sunburst ones are ash or alder.

Forum Member

I assume MIA is not "made in Asia" like my "Tele" knockoff, so I take no offence! (I did change the electrics to Texas Specials, and CTS and Switchcraft, so that part is MIA.)

Quote Originally Posted by 71818 View Post
    It is a bit of a paradox. The bulk of the MIM is junk, imo, except for the "Classic" line of '50s & '60s reissues. I like the body/neck dimensions & profiles better than their USA counterparts.
    There are exceptions, though. The bodies that are painted solid colors are usually poplar or basswood, I think. Only the sunburst ones are ash or alder.
    All alder on the '50s and '60s Classic Series Strats, Robert. The '70s Classic Series are ash.

And it's because of those body/neck dimensions and profiles that most of my custom builds are based on these instruments. Plus, the pickup routing is traditional S/S/S just as Leo designed and they all feature the 6-screw bridge with 2-7/32" string spacing. IOW, vintage specs all the way just as with the now-discontinued AVRI's and the new AVS series of Strats.

Well, Ranger...there is a larger purpose...

'Cause, you see, all those other big, uppity Fender forums and such could be all like, "You TFF dudes ain't a real Fender forum!"

Then, we'd be all like, "Why not?"

And, they'd be all like, "'Cuz you never talk about MIA and MIM Fenders."

Then, we could be all like, "Yeah, we do...look at this here thread."

And, they'd be all like, "Okay."