Thread: Fun to play, even when you hate Axl

Fun to play, even when you hate Axl

No one in my band has a shred of liking for Axl Rose. I'm a fan of GnR the band, but not Axl the singer or character or whatever he is.

But we're working up Welcome to the Jungle, the only GnR song that I really like.

We started on it tonight, and it was fun as fuck to play. If I can remember all the chord changes in the middle that seem to have nothing whatsoever to do with the rest of the song...
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Fun to play, even when you hate Axl

WTTJ is a pretty cool tune. "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "Paradise City" were our staples when I was still actively gigging. Seemed like everybody liked GNR's music (much like Pink Floyd).
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Yeah, that old boy it a mess, but they had a few tunes that were good though. Good luck with the tune and hope you still have fun playin' as it's kinda a fun one to do huh?

One band I was in was made up of cops and firefighters. We were called Guns and Hoses. Our FD type drummer came up with the name and we thought it was sorta cool I guess. At least for a smoke-eater to come up with. Now this was long before those fellas in Calif ever came about, but when they did then everyone thought that we stole part of their name for ours. I said "Do you see a stinkin' top-hat on me boys? No? Well then don't violate 'The POP Ordinance'!". And for those that are unfamiliar with cop humor the POP Ordinance is "Pissing Off Police" But we stuck to our name as we were known for a long time and we didn't play G&R stuff anyway, we were a hardcore blues band with a bit of old rock mixed in to keep it sassy.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Old Ranger, that's classic--Guns and Hoses. I actually like that a lot better than GnR!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Well, I'm afraid I'm a GnR fan all the way...

I respect the fact that many people nowadays don't see a single reason to like them, but I still do and will ever do.

Reasons? Well, they were one of the few bands that shook off the glitter and gave up the horrible glam rock atmosphere back in the early 80s (an awful decade for true Rock and Roll) and made some good southern-spiced crude rock.

Axl has a load of problems, his ego for one, but I respect him a lot even these days...

Last year I got to finally see Guns and Roses live up front, and I tell you: it was good. I missed Slash but Ashba and Bumblefoot did their job very well. Plus, some of the original lineup guys were there: Axl, Dizzy Reed and Duff McKagan.

About Axl's singing: everyone was kinda expecting him to sound like a shadow of what he once was, but he did rock the house! I was gratefully surprised and I confess: emotion took over me. You know, I was just a kid when they started to get famous, and one of the frst tunes I learned on the electric guitar was Don't cry.

The moment tasted like "hey, guys: glad to see you're still there. I'm still here too!"

Gunner 'til I die, fellows.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Old Ranger, that's classic--Guns and Hoses. I actually like that a lot better than GnR!
    Yup, our drummer was always coming up with sayings and stuff. He said that he though of the name from the two prime tools that cops and firemen have at all times; guns and hoses. He figured it would make a good band name. I told him that firemen are fixated on big hoses due to a lack of other qualities. And he came right back with cops always want bigger guns to make up for.... It's always like that between the PD and the FD. A friendly rivalry that really has no victims in the end. Cops got brother officers and firemen are their cousins. It's all family in the end.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

de Melo,

I understand they're an important band to you. I think the musicianship is excellent, but even without Axl's ego, his voice turns me off. I won't go into a litany of why because that's just bad manners. I will say that he knew what people wanted during the heyday and he gave it to them.

To each his own, partner!

Yep. We all care so much about music, and we like things for reasons beyond superficial stardom. It's great to feel passionate about music. So we will disagree at times, but I respect your love of GnR. I go through the world touting McCartney and his solo work. I realize I'm in the minority, but I am such a Beatles freak. So when people knock The Beatles, I get a little butt hurt. Let's me know that I care about music.

So man, play Axl loud if you like him. I criticize you not.